Sign in to follow this  
JLN

fake watch fake person... WTF??

Olly

This very day a chappie who works in Tesco admired my timepiece........."that's a lovely watch......was it expensive?" he said.

My reply.........."FFS man, it's a 187 get your eyes tested.......Lovely?......Lovely?.......it's ugly as sin..........now where's your reduced 'cos they're out date groceries?"

:D

Planemo

It certainly is an interesting topic if nothing else.

When I built my Lambo Diablo replica even my Mrs was sceptical. She's a very down to earth, logical person and she just totally didn't 'get it', especially when it came to building a £40k replica.That said, shes not a motorhead either. My argument was that I felt the design of the Diablo was a thing of beauty and art, and that I simply couldn't afford the genuine article (or more importantly, run it). If I wanted to drive around in anything that looked like a Diablo, the only way was a rep. I couldn't buy a vehicle, from any manufacturer, that looked anything like a Diablo. I felt vindicated and the build got completed. I loved every minute I spent in the car.

Cue watches. Now heres the thing - I love Rolex's and Brietlings. The Mrs says that I can get a watch that looks 'just like a Rolex' for a fraction of the cost. I have to concede. There is Tudor and hell even some Seikos that to most people will look very similar to Rolex. Yet I still want a Rolex. I try as hard as I can to justify spending £500 on a modded DSSD but I can't and I feel pissed off because of it. As a sidenote, The only comment I have had, on any rep I have worn in the last 2 years, was from the wife of a friend who saw my Seawolf and said 'wow that looks a bit bling'. She had no idea what it was, and didn't ask any questions so I didn't tell. She clearly wasn't interested in the watch.

The Mrs is right.

I will admit what 90% of people on this site won't. I appear to WANT people to see my (fake) Rolex.

I don't know why. I won't try and sit here justifying it by thinking 'it's because it has a mechanical movement, I appreciate that' or 'it's got a lovely AR and the lume is wonderful' as I can get that from any other similar watches. I don't consider myself a show-off, I consider myself someone who likes/enjoys/appreciates beautiful design. My argument worked for the Lambo but it falls flat on it's face when it comes to rep watches (especially Rolex). I still buy reps and still buy gens - my Monster has seen a LOT of wrist time recently and I love the fact that it's a gen, but for me my favourite rep is still the DSSD/Sub. Why, for the love of God, aren't I happy with a very similar looking Tudor/Seiko/Citizen gen?

I'm a fake, through and through...

ShovelnTC

Thanks for the replies guys... Maybe I'm taking myself too seriously... time for a beer...

Yeah definitely mate, opinions are not fact thus irrelevant so have another beer and enjoy!

JasperB

I used to say 'its a replica'

Now I say 'I own ten genuine Swiss luxury or semi luxury watches, and as many replicas - guess what this one is'

I never tell them if they are correct. One guy at work has been trying to buy one of my AP reps forever because he is convinced it it is genuine. Of course I won't sell.

jjm4a2

Reps, gens, its you're business. The people who care to question your watch are the ones who think all Rolex watches are over $15,000. They're clueless. I've had people question the authenticity of a gen simply because its old & isn't the brand new shiny rolex they envision in their minds. Most of my high end gens are pre-owned anyway.

fe22ari

If I could afford it I would replace all my reps with the gen versions.

I never pretend they're gen to anybody.

Someone at work bought an entry level Aquaracer quartz. He wanted something a lot better but settled for a watch that he didn't really want/like. I get the feeling he resents the situation when he sees me wearing one of my reps.

Sent using The Force

James.

Rep or Gen, 95% of people wear their choice of watch with the intention of showing off. The fact that person A may have paid 1/10th what person B paid for something that looks the same is irrelevant. These Gen douches are just jealous that people are able to get similar attention without getting fleeced by an AD

scorpion

A few months ago I got a unexpected £3k bonus. I could easily have bought a decent gen but being realistic I had a lot of more important things to spend it on.

I bought a few more reps and stuff for our house and paid off a chunk of our credit cards debts. I do not regret not buying a gen as I am happy with my rep collection and low end affordable gens. Very rarely do I come across anyone who knows anything about watches - I get the odd "nice watch mate" but in past 2 years have only had 2 serious conversations about reps, one guy was convinced my Rep DSSD was a gen despite me telling him. I think we here all get carried away about reps vs gens and attaining a perfect rep when in real life no one gives a shit about what's on your wrist unless you are moving in a circle of rich friends or business men. Just enjoy your reps and stop worrying about what others may say or think as 99.5% wont even notice it.

frodostar

I can afford gens but I can't afford 20, I love buying so many watches for the art of an individual piece, if I love it enough I will get the gen (after selling 1 or 2 of my other gens of course) every person has a different reason for buying reps, this is mostly a free world and people can do whatever the hell they want, it's pointless to try pushing your opinion onto anyone, or get bothered by opinions like the guy that got the op so stewed. Peace and love to the rep and gen community!x!x!

psantos1091

When I built my Lambo Diablo replica even my Mrs was sceptical. She's a very down to earth, logical person and she just totally didn't 'get it', especially when it came to building a £40k replica.That said, shes not a motorhead either. My argument was that I felt the design of the Diablo was a thing of beauty and art, and that I simply couldn't afford the genuine article (or more importantly, run it). If I wanted to drive around in anything that looked like a Diablo, the only way was a rep. I couldn't buy a vehicle, from any manufacturer, that looked anything like a Diablo. I felt vindicated and the build got completed. I loved every minute I spent in the car.

Cue watches. Now heres the thing - I love Rolex's and Brietlings. The Mrs says that I can get a watch that looks 'just like a Rolex' for a fraction of the cost. I have to concede. There is Tudor and hell even some Seikos that to most people will look very similar to Rolex. Yet I still want a Rolex. I try as hard as I can to justify spending £500 on a modded DSSD but I can't and I feel pissed off because of it. As a sidenote, The only comment I have had, on any rep I have worn in the last 2 years, was from the wife of a friend who saw my Seawolf and said 'wow that looks a bit bling'. She had no idea what it was, and didn't ask any questions so I didn't tell. She clearly wasn't interested in the watch.

The Mrs is right.

I will admit what 90% of people on this site won't. I appear to WANT people to see my (fake) Rolex.

I don't know why. I won't try and sit here justifying it by thinking 'it's because it has a mechanical movement, I appreciate that' or 'it's got a lovely AR and the lume is wonderful' as I can get that from any other similar watches. I don't consider myself a show-off, I consider myself someone who likes/enjoys/appreciates beautiful design. My argument worked for the Lambo but it falls flat on it's face when it comes to rep watches (especially Rolex). I still buy reps and still buy gens - my Monster has seen a LOT of wrist time recently and I love the fact that it's a gen, but for me my favourite rep is still the DSSD/Sub. Why, for the love of God, aren't I happy with a very similar looking Tudor/Seiko/Citizen gen?

That honesty shows you are not "fake". However, your material items may be. Remember, it's all an illusion anyways.

I want to explain my philosophy on why it's all an illusion but I'm getting off topic lol..

mayjas

Ive just bought a gen, but told my missus its a rep........so its a happy life for both of us now

Baldrick

The degree of self-delusion in this thread is matched only by the degree of self-justification :facepalm:

FFS.......EVERY member on this forum arrived here by a simple route........they didn' t Google....."find me a watch forum where I can discuss watches....I just love watches".......because if they did they would have ended up on PMWF.....or TZ or Chronocentric.......not REPLICA WATCH GUIDE.

When they arrive in BKK or HK or Marmarus, they don't head to the local small watch shop and snaffle up a MOR vanilla watch, they seek out the markets or the lucky-lucky sellers...'cos they know he's gonna have something with 5 letters on the dial. :B):

They did a Google search for ....Rolex..or Omega...or Patek fake watches or replica watches........stop being so fucking delusional, sanctimonious and hypocritical and just admit your dirty little secret......we're all naked in here.

James.

.we're all naked in here.

I'm wearing slippers...

:rwi-midget:

Baldrick

On yer head :B):

RUSH2112

The Mrs is right.

It's a good post but there's more to it I think. I have rolexes. I also have a PAM, a breitling, and a un. Almost no one knows these watches or brands that I run in to. Why do we wear those? It's not for the same reason as the rolex so I think there's more to it than just being seen even though there is an element of that.

James.

Where else would you wear them!

Redmattyp100

I'm with justuwatch. I have both gens and reps and get just as much as enjoyment from the reps as I do from the gens. It's all about the aesthetic of the timepiece IMHO not trying to deceive anyone or pretending to be something you are not!

jeffw69

On yer head :B):

:lmao2:

Baldrick

I smell shiiiite, if it's ALL about the aesthetics........then why doesn't everyone just wear a Parnis...or one of the myriad of other aesthetically pleasing watches that can be found on the Poor Man's Watch Forum.

The additional plea....'I wear both gen and reps' doesn't cut it either.......you chose your gens for the very same reason you chose your fakes....for the brand prestige / perception / status / design......!

TheSav
Rep or Gen, 95% of people wear their choice of watch with the intention of showing off. The fact that person A may have paid 1/10th what person B paid for something that looks the same is irrelevant. These Gen douches are just jealous that people are able to get similar attention without getting fleeced by an AD

Aren't you currently transmorphing into a gen douche?

Libertatia

I'm fake

James.

Ill still be some sort of douche, though. And at the end of the day, isn't that the most important thing?

arancini

Ill still be some sort of douche, though. And at the end of the day, isn't that the most important thing?

As long as you wear a crash helmet to pubs whilst being a douche, all good.

ag69

I probably have around 30 watches, all gens. Out of the 30, I would say I have about 10 known brand gens which I bought at a fraction of the retail price either new or used from eBay. Like most of you, I am going to buy reps because, quite frankly, I can't afford the gens of the watches I now want. And thanks to this great forum, I have some knowledge of where to go and how to ask questions from trusted dealers on the reps I want. I want to thank all you guys for the great posts you have posted over the years for someone who want to start buy reps!!

Edited by ag69

JasperB

I smell shiiiite, if it's ALL about the aesthetics........then why doesn't everyone just wear a Parnis...or one of the myriad of other aesthetically pleasing watches that can be found on the Poor Man's Watch Forum.

The additional plea....'I wear both gen and reps' doesn't cut it either.......you chose your gens for the very same reason you chose your fakes....for the brand prestige / perception / status / design......!

Chill man......It's only a discussion while fuck all else is happening