Baldrick
Chill man.

Who are you ?

Realism

oooo... another one of these kinda of thread? :Yawn:

3,115 posts???????????? in just over a year...well done Realism :chatty:

scorpion is who you want to look at for "guidance" :giggle:

Rolexwatchman

There are so many other reasons for buying a rep.

Maintain cost

If you get robbed

If someone stole your watch

I'll go for maintain cost, it's not cheap to own a expensive genuine watches... exchanging parts like bezel etc., can be expensive, I learned my lesson and Im happy with the replica, they keep time OK, the most important part of that matter :)

Best of all I can spend my money on hoes instead.

kingkaiser
I smell shiiiite, if it's ALL about the aesthetics........then why doesn't everyone just wear a Parnis...or one of the myriad of other aesthetically pleasing watches that can be found on the Poor Man's Watch Forum.

The additional plea....'I wear both gen and reps' doesn't cut it either.......you chose your gens for the very same reason you chose your fakes....for the brand prestige / perception / status / design......!

Yep. If its aesthetics then go homage. The fact that were playing this 1:1 game says everything that needs to be said. The lever on your PAM being 1mm off won't ruin your appreciation of the design, but is a tell, and that's why most of us care.

Hell, people would throw a fit if a ARed DSSD was produced, since it'd be less gen-like despite looking much better.

LightGeek
I smell shiiiite, if it's ALL about the aesthetics........then why doesn't everyone just wear a Parnis...or one of the myriad of other aesthetically pleasing watches that can be found on the Poor Man's Watch Forum.

The additional plea....'I wear both gen and reps' doesn't cut it either.......you chose your gens for the very same reason you chose your fakes....for the brand prestige / perception / status / design......!

Yep. If its aesthetics then go homage. The fact that were playing this 1:1 game says everything that needs to be said. The lever on your PAM being 1mm off won't ruin your appreciation of the design, but is a tell, and that's why most of us care.

Hell, people would throw a fit if a ARed DSSD was produced, since it'd be less gen-like despite looking much better.

I don't give a damn if the lever is 1mm off, just that it isn't crooked. I'd buy an AR'd DSSD :)

Baldrick
Yep. If its aesthetics then go homage. The fact that were playing this 1:1 game says everything that needs to be said. The lever on your PAM being 1mm off won't ruin your appreciation of the design, but is a tell, and that's why most of us care.Hell, people would throw a fit if a ARed DSSD was produced, since it'd be less gen-like despite looking much better.

Nail on the head, if it was simply a case of liking a nicely designed watch, then members wouldn't be clamouring for V1 / 2 /3 / versions of whatever......wouldn't be obsessing over the slightest tell.....but everybody wants 1.1......why?........because they want to enjoy all the perception / plaudits / conferred status that is attached to the genuine item......it's the 5 letters on the dial :B):

BTW Kingkaiser....joined 24 November '08 and only 6 posts and still newbie status.......hmmm ?

northantsrich

There are so many other reasons for buying a rep.

Maintain cost

If you get robbed

If someone stole your watch

I'll go for maintain cost, it's not cheap to own a expensive genuine watches... exchanging parts like bezel etc., can be expensive, I learned my lesson and Im happy with the replica, they keep time OK, the most important part of that matter :)

Best of all I can spend my money on hoes instead.

+1

nev848

For me I am happy to wear a Rep anywhere even in the AD today when trying on a SOH that may be my next Gen purchase.

It is in every boys DNA to emulate and this started with my Raleigh Chopper turning it in to Peter Fonda's Easy Rider by adding a Fox tail and playing card in the back wheel to simulate a V-twin engine.

Them were the days.

Tits McGee

WHO CARES? LETS DANCE! :band::nana::irish_dance::boobies3: :AT: :chewbacca: :gayvikingmusic: :ban1::taz::dingleberry-nemesis::mustache:

arancini

I do agree with the train of thought that if it was purely for the aesthetics, you would go down the Homage route.

Not to say buying a Rep. means you can't afford the Gen. Many of us have both. Just that you choose to invest the money elsewhere.

But at the end of the day, the majority of people don't give a fark about what you're wearing anyway.

diaby2afc

If I want someone to notice my watch, I'll sport a Rolex or something very overstated and bling like some APs. They tend to get people's attention.

But I only wear IWC because I love the look. My cousin in law only knows Rolex and Cartier so I don't mind when he tells me he never heard of IWC before.

ShiroTenshi

I have read so many comments/insults on people who buy replicas/fakes, and I will be true to myself here:

- I like the brand, I like the prestige, I like the design, the coolness of Rolex Omega PAM IWC etc, so a homage will not work.

- I cant afford the gen and I cant justify the cost of all these watches in gen form.

- I feel good when I can get something so near to the gen at a small fraction of the price and free ride on all the marketings of the gen.

- I am fake? Go find me someone who is not fake in some of the things he do.

- I am a show off? NO! I don't show off my reps but if you noticed it I am happy to discuss

- Did I harm anyone in the process? NO!!

SO F**K IT AND ENJOY!!

Rant over.

Cheers guys.

daeffy

Time for another dose of Pamprin :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

replicastuff

Enjoy reps as they are, if you get a rep which is as good as the gen, like some of the pam 111's then enjoy it for a fraction of the price.

moredhel

I buy reps coz I strongly believe in not joining the herd in giving money to LMVH through items with a 9000% mark-up just to show I have the money...wait,..I don't...I'm fake.. :kma:

watch.aholic

I have read so many comments/insults on people who buy replicas/fakes, and I will be true to myself here:

- I like the brand, I like the prestige, I like the design, the coolness of Rolex Omega PAM IWC etc, so a homage will not work.

- I cant afford the gen and I cant justify the cost of all these watches in gen form.

- I feel good when I can get something so near to the gen at a small fraction of the price and free ride on all the marketings of the gen.

- I am fake? Go find me someone who is not fake in some of the things he do.

- I am a show off? NO! I don't show off my reps but if you noticed it I am happy to discuss

- Did I harm anyone in the process? NO!!

SO F**K IT AND ENJOY!!

Rant over.

Cheers guys.

Very well articulated. I totally agree.

cogwatch

Baldrick, I don't completely agree as I think you are generalizing. I think there are different people with different reasons for buying reps. I buy reps because the gens have a lot of time and money spent on the designs resulting in a lot of great looking watches. But I can't afford the gen, so I buy a rep. I also have quite a number of gens that I bought because I like how they look and I could afford them. I have Seiko, Bulova, Orient, Citizen, Emporio Armani, Kenneth Cole, Sottomarino, Skagen, Invicta (sorry everyone, close your eyes) and a number of Timex. Can never figure out how to pluralize some of those names. I haven't bought a rep Sub because I have an Invicta diver (there goes that name again) that looks great, feels great, and keeps great time. One of my favorite watches is this Timex (crappy iPhone pic).

image_zpsd2024915.jpg

To say why don't I just buy good looking lower price gens would limit me from thousands of expensive gens that I love the looks of but just can't afford. I had never heard of PMWF before now. I just checked it out briefly. They had a thread "Top 10 Poor Man's Watches 2013". I liked a couple of them, including an Orient Mako diver. But I didn't like most of them. So, I like some poor man's watches and some luxury watches. I can afford a Mako diver, but not a Montblanc 100th Anniversary Star Chrono like I just got for $169 from Tony's Crazy Sale. Well, that's not completely true. Maybe I could afford the Star Chrono, but then I couldn't afford the other 49 watches I have.

Just my perspective. OK go ahead, I'm ready. Be gentle.

image_zps0539d5d0.jpg

JasperB
Chill man.

Who are you ?

All that tells me is that you think you are something special. I have news for you. You are not.

Baldrick
All that tells me is that you think you are something special. I have news for you. You are not. Quote

No, you have it wrong, you're the one with the superiority complex, pontificating and TELLING me to 'chill' as though you have a 'superior' attitude or superior state of conscious, I don't need your advice as to my attitude or state of mind.

Here's some advice on sex and travel.....fuck off :johng:

BTW.....I am something special......my parents told me that everyday........obviously yours didn't......hence your need to piss on electric fences....!!!

gB.
:gotgoat:

JasperB
All that tells me is that you think you are something special. I have news for you. You are not. Quote

No, you have it wrong, you're the one with the superiority complex, pontificating and TELLING me to 'chill' as though you have a 'superior' attitude or superior state of conscious, I don't need your advice as to my attitude or state of mind.

Here's some advice on sex and travel.....fuck off :johng:

BTW.....I am something special......my parents told me that everyday........obviously yours didn't......hence your need to piss on electric fences....!!!

Therese always one on every forum, and they are always super easy to reel in. You say 'chill' is me pontificating. Read what you wrote FFS!!

by the way fuck off yourself half wit.

No response required, thanks.

Baldrick

Squeak, squeak, squeak......mouse at play :B):

BTW 'Jasper'.......you're only beginning to save up to be a fake person !!!

Aren

I wear and enjoy reps because I like them. I think they are beautiful and economical. I have no one to impress or even see my watches normally. The reps I like are unknown brands to anyone who might see one on me. Anyone around here wouldn't know VC, PP, PAM, A&S, IWC. I wear and enjoy what I like. I also appreciate the variety I can have with reps and don't need to worry about them being lost, stolen, damaged. If I had to worry it would take away some of my pleasure. How much energy do you want to put into a watch (or any other accessory) ???

My comments are not directed to the OP, but to this topic in general...

Gen - Rep...it only matters if it matters to YOU !

If you aren't comfortable wearing a rep, don't wear them.

If you are very approval seeking and afraid to be called out, well...what you fear you attract like a magnet.

I have known gents here for years who have amazing gens and fantastic reps.

If you have an issue with low self-esteem, or have an outright inferiority complex then best to stay away from reps.

If you need a watch to tell yourself and others who and what you are...you are already in trouble.

Don't buy watches, your money is better spent on therapy.

:)

Rob Roy

Why pay £5000.00 for a Rolex Submariner when you can buy a rep with an ETA Movement that will last just as long for under £200.00

I prefer to spend my £5000.00 on 25 of the best reps with ETA movements and have a vast choice of watches than one GEN.

But I suppose if I had a spare £5k all at once I would dabble.

Col

Baldrick

Truth is if you pick up most of the gumps on these fora by the ankles and shook them........you won't shake 5k out of them....but you'll get 200 quid......and if they were gonna spend 5k on reps they would all have luxury brand names on them :B):