Sign in to follow this  
olly593

Stripped Crown on 42mm Breitling Superocean Abyss worth repairing?

olly593

I'm after some advice, it would appear that the crown has stripped on my Breitling 42mm Superocean Abyss. Does anyone know how easy a replacement crown would be to source? Is it even worth repairing?

Ive had it probably a couple of years now as i bought it when they were first released. It running an Asian clone 2836 that keeps good time but the watch has been my daily beater all that time and is showing the battle scars.

Ive found this crown for sale on eBay, does anyone know if its the right size? http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Any advice appreciated and as i know you like pics Ive attached some very bad ones below.

1b79a6d5-fa4c-4d56-ad34-692b0ab800fa_zpsd070713c.jpg

0301750d-6564-473c-b8f7-5ce66865a362_zpsb41f1740.jpg

Cynikal.Mindset

Is the tube or crown actually stripped or has the tube come free of the case and now threaded to the crown? Remove the stem and crown and get better pics.

olly593

Is the tube or crown actually stripped or has the tube come free of the case and now threaded to the crown? Remove the stem and crown and get better pics.

I can screw it down just enough so it just catches on the thread but it soon pops out, Ive checked the tube and its definitely still attached to the case, so i'm guessing its either the crown that has stripped or the tube thread. I'll try and get some better pics later.

Cynikal.Mindset

Yea, cool. Its a pretty simple fix for a smith but since these watches are now priced pretty low new it may be better to flip the broken one and pick up a new one and come out even or ahead.

LightGeek

Oh the yellow ones can't be repaired. I'll take it off your hands :)

olly593

Haha thanks guys, think it may be time to just flip it and move on.

How much do you think it's worth? The movements good, the glass is unscratched and the dial is good, but the casting very scratched up (if you had the right tools and patience you could probably make it like new) the rubber strap is ripped around the lug hole and the buckle is badly scratched up. But it is yellow.

alistairw

Have the same problem, Yellow Abyss, one of my favoured reps.

Mine has the Selita movement, I bought it from Angus and am thinking of pricing a replacement tube and crown from him.

alw

These are not made anymore(?) so you cannot easily replace the whole watch.

olly593

Have the same problem, Yellow Abyss, one of my favoured reps.

Mine has the Selita movement, I bought it from Angus and am thinking of pricing a replacement tube and crown from him.

From the threads ive read over at the other RWG it appears that this may be a bit of a common complaint, however like you its my favorite watch so i'm torn between what to do. I'm still wearing it at the moment as it works fine it just has the crown sticking out.

I do have an ineterested party after it (No prizes for guessing who lol) i'm just torn at the moment. First World Problems ....

Hazz

Why not in the meantime, shorten he stem so the crown pushes in flush.

NFleischer

Mine too! Blue one, but it goes in far enough, I won't bother fixing it. I have about 3 others with the same problem, they barely go in and can't really screw down.

A problem with many reps it seems.

Sjors

I got the same problem on my SuperOcean Steelfish. But it was my first rep, so over 5 years old. Thought about fixing it, but now i dont wear it anymore.