Sign in to follow this  
TRANSPORTER

Silix special PO mod

TRANSPORTER

My train of thought mate, it's a $35 watch if it goes wrong you've list a few quid but gained a job lot if parts for future modding projects, I'm not a throw away person, I can't afford to be, so I'm not bring flippant by saying you'll have a load of spares. I only done the mod on mine cos I couldn't afford another rep at the time )

(Still can't now either) but at least I wasn't working on a $500 rep, now if I got that wrong!!!!!!?

Anyway back to your problem in hand, you should be ok rebuilding the works, mainly because you aren't disturbing the train and balance so happy days, use patience tools and an eye loup, but always remember work all you want but know when to get up from the bench for a break, that peice if advice from me will save you countless watches in the future because it has me in the past mate

tony1

this_zps8967ab5d.jpg

Finally solved this one (I’ve a thread in repairs which details the rest of the story). I actually ended up painting a mixture of a reddish and yellow acrylic paint with the numbers back on the dial. Using a toothpick as Transporter notes, it works by capillary action whose flow you gently brush along the numbers (rather than directly “scraping it” along the number).

I broke one of the pins holding the 6 on when removing it. Stuck back on using epoxy. But… too much epoxy which was visible around the number on the dial. Tried to scrape off. Oops scraped part of the dial. Addressed by black felt tip on the dial which was v awkward to get in. Fortunately not that visible unless you look under a magnifying glass. I also switched the date ring to a white one. But…the date moves a mm up or down if you shake it. I have a few ideas why but so far don’t care, I can live with it (no wish to disassemble again!)

So thanks v much Transporter. I much prefer how it looks (whether it's remotely authentic I don't know!) And in the process I’ve learnt a lot.

NB is there a bezel protecter on the bezel on yours? Mine has one which pretty quickly after delivery started to “bubble up.” (Eg see 4 minutes past the hour). I’m just not sure if it’s something you are meant to remove.

Edited by tony1

Mr Stubbs

They put a soft sticky plastic film over the bezel to prevent scratches in shipment. You can lift it at the edge with a toothpick or gently use your fingernail to remove it. The bezel will look much better.

One of the mods suggested for this PO involves spraying the bezel with a dull clear finish to make it look more gen.

But after everything you've been through, I'd just remove the plastic film and call it a day.

All the best!

gravedigger

just done mine

8DB87831-8E2F-4B39-88EA-CF6DD84DF321_zps6jlorqvx.jpg

4CEC9005-4956-421E-B127-DC4FF27CB7CD_zpsy43iblfl.jpg

TRANSPORTER

Nice looking work there guys, next it's the pearl and bezel mod for you to try. It's great doing this stuff on these cheapies because if it goes wrong it's only $35 of watch, still money is money and none of us can afford to lose any but I'd rather cock up a cheapie than a super rep, I've since worked on gen Tags, baume and merciers and a plethora of seikos and a sicura ( brietling). You find that all watches work in the same way they just all have their own little bits in the movement that are waiting to trip you up if you don't concentrate haha. Keep up the good work guys you'll get addicted soon just like me.