Sign in to follow this  
ebzen02

Just Got the iPad..so What Apps should I get

ebzen02

Okay, I am one of the 2 million sheep herded to the apple store to get an iPad. First Apple product and now an apple addict after just less than 24 hours of use. This thing is amazing for what it was intended for. My wife needed minimal instructions and she is happy (this was a gift to her, mine are coming throughout the year...heheh..more watches). I digress... I need a list of Apps for this baby and I'll break it down into my three most liked iPad/iPhonecategories as follows:

Music

Lifestyle

Entertainment

Productivity

Photography

What are your suggestions?

We have been officially suckered into this... :Whistle:

Omeg@007

And i just got Nokia N900

Coool Mate

andyc
I need a list of Apps for this baby and I'll break it down into my three most liked iPad/iPhonecategories as follows:

Music

Lifestyle

Entertainment

Productivity

Photography

Errr - that's five...!

dingle
I need a list of Apps for this baby and I'll break it down into my three most liked iPad/iPhonecategories as follows:

Music

Lifestyle

Entertainment

Productivity

Photography

Errr - that's five...!

:huh:

Brightlight

Music

Lifestyle

Entertainment

Productivity

Photography

Errr - that's five...!

Just goes to show an ability to do maths is not a prerequisite for purchasing an ipad :huh:

ebzen02

Music

Lifestyle

Entertainment

Productivity

Photography

Errr - that's five...!

Just goes to show an ability to do maths is not a prerequisite for purchasing an ipad :D

Doing edits on an iPad is a wee difficult...but yes..it is my top 5..you guys are just green with envy... :huh:

dingle

digital playground app.....:Whistle:

Baldrick
Just goes to show an ability to do maths is not a prerequisite for purchasing an ipad

On the contrary, I think it's a prerequesite not to have the ability to do maths that allows you to buy an Ipad. :yoda:

I don't like the form factor of the Ipad, nor being anchored to Steve Jobs company, personally I'll wait for the release of the Huawei Smakit 7" Anroid tablet, which also functions as a 3G phone, has 800x480 res, HDMI output with 720p playback, 2x SD Micro slots supporting up to 32gb each, / 2x USB ports / docking station / Bluetooth release date mid year and running Andropid 2+ . ;)

SMAKIT 7

ebzen02
Just goes to show an ability to do maths is not a prerequisite for purchasing an ipad

On the contrary, I think it's a prerequesite not to have the ability to do maths that allows you to buy an Ipad. :yoda:

I don't like the form factor of the Ipad, nor being anchored to Steve Jobs company, personally I'll wait for the release of the Huawei Smakit 7" Anroid tablet, which also functions as a 3G phone, has 800x480 res, HDMI output with 720p playback, 2x SD Micro slots supporting up to 32gb each, / 2x USB ports / docking station / Bluetooth release date mid year and running Andropid 2+ . ;)

SMAKIT 7

Neat.. good for you! Enjoy!

barkingtoad

im an apple addict too

first got iphone 3yrs ago then went & got a macbook within the year oh & apple tv

Baldrick

Oh, I'll give the Macs their place, absolutely tops for what they offer and can do, but phone / pad and pod are mediocre offerings at best, there are a lot of other products that do the relevant job much better, but none marketed as cleverly. ;)

Brightlight
Oh, I'll give the Macs their place, absolutely tops for what they offer and can do, but phone / pad and pod are mediocre offerings at best, there are a lot of other products that do the relevant job much better, but none marketed as cleverly. :wub:

Baldy you're missing the point. If you criticise Apple in any way, shape or form, you are an 'Apple hater'. As I said on another forum the ipad has, from my point of view, all sorts of limitations (not least typing on the thing when you're a touch typist - impossible) but has, like all Apple products, been very cleverly marketed and there is a large bunch of people just think they have to have one. That got me shot down in flames, one must not question the holy Steve and his sainted products, for such is heresy!!

Baldrick

Sorry BL, I thought that was the point I was trying to make, if you look at Apple's history, they were innovative with the first marketable GUI, they capitalised on that with educational contract wins,which kick started the company, developed their marketing strategy for all other devices, such as the pad / phone / pod, for those who don't fall for or subscribe to the hype, there are far better devices out there that do it better, I'm not an Apple hater, I've used and still have some of their products, albeit they don't get used much any more, I use a 60gb Ipod as a music repository HDD , I use an 8gb Touch as a battery backup Mp3 player for those times when my main media player loses power, I certainly wouldn't have any of them as my primary media device.

The pad doesn't appeal to me because of the size and limitations of the product, as with their DRM orientated restrictions and software golden handcuff not to mention the duplicity of features spread across their product, some see it as commonality, I see it as just more of the same in a different gadget marketed the same way as all their other products, I see Apple as the Hublot of the gadget world, but I don't hate Apple fanboys, I just understand them and the company :wub:

Brightlight
Sorry BL, I thought that was the point I was trying to make, if you look at Apple's history, they were innovative with the first marketable GUI, they capitalised on that with educational contract wins,which kick started the company, developed their marketing strategy for all other devices, such as the pad / phone / pod, for those who don't fall for or subscribe to the hype, there are far better devices out there that do it better, I'm not an Apple hater, I've used and still have some of their products, albeit they don't get used much any more, I use a 60gb Ipod as a music repository HDD , I use an 8gb Touch as a battery backup Mp3 player for those times when my main media player loses power, I certainly wouldn't have any of them as my primary media device.

The pad doesn't appeal to me because of the size and limitations of the product, as with their DRM orientated restrictions and software golden handcuff not to mention the duplicity of features spread across their product, some see it as commonality, I see it as just more of the same in a different gadget marketed the same way as all their other products, I see Apple as the Hublot of the gadget world, but I don't hate Apple fanboys, I just understand them and the company :wub:

Oh I totally agree with you that Apple have been very innovative. I also think they have been very clever with their marketing. What I'm saying is that ANY criticism. such as you have been making, simply marks you down as an Apple hater in the eyes of Apple fanboys. I'm not an Apple hater either, but any contrary remark I made in the thread I was talking about was immediately jumped on and the fanboys were all wittering on about ignoring what I said, I was just full of hate, etc, etc. Quite funny really. Never try to reason with a fanboy, you are up against an article of faith not logic :D

greg_r

Ya know, I've been using Macs since '87, Windows since Gawd knows when (Win/286 was my first), I'm qualified on several Unix varieties including NeXTSTEP, SGI Irix, Solaris, Mac OS X, AIX and Linux (which is not actually Unix, but what the hell). I'm also experienced with VMS, CPM (anybody remember that?), OS/2 and a handful of others.

I currently manage a Windows corporate network (from a Mac) and have recently dumped the remaining Windows, Linux, Sun and OPENSTEP boxes at home in favour of sticking with Macs.

I own an iPhone (bought last year, the first version wasn't compelling enough for me to switch, but the current iPhone is a pretty capable device - Android is currently too fragmented both from a development and user's point of view for me to take it too seriously quite yet) and an AppleTV (which was acquired a week or so back and has already been hacked pretty comprehensively).

I've developed both on and for most of the above platforms.

Here's the thing. I really don't get the Apple haters. Or the Linux haters. Or the Windows haters. Personally I don't give a fuck what any of you guys use - I use Macs because they work for me and I find them less hard work than Windows in general. YMMV (and probably will). I don't play games, which also has a bearing. I do not, however, understand why so many folks give a shit about what other people use - I'll argue either side of the fence if it amuses me (I do a pretty good Apple fanboi impression as Kinky will attest, but drop me in a Mac fanboi environment and I'll argue in favour of Windows or Linux - I'm perverse that way). The only real effect any of this has is that if you're a friend of mine and expect me to offer you tech support, you better be using a Mac. If you're running Windows, I don't want to know - I deal with enough of that shit at work and life is too fucking short. Beyond that, I stick to muddying the waters wherever possible :D

I have a rule, however. Never buy v1 of anything. The iPad reminds me of the v1 iPod and the v1 iPhone. It has lots of potential which has yet to be realised. I can certainly see a purpose for it but right now, I'm sitting on the fence and waiting to see how it develops.

Ebzen - ignore the haters. It's an interesting device and I can certainly appreciate the desire to own one. There's lots of apps out there - and more coming every day. I can't offer advice as to which to download as I only have an iPhone and I don't know what has been updated yet. I understand that the iPad version of iWork is pretty effective, so that might well cover your productivity needs (although Google Docs might be a good free alternative). The thing with the iPad is that it's not just the hardware you're buying into - it's the whole user experience; which is rather better thought out than the alternatives (at present - that may change).

Other than marketing, Apple's real talent is to look at the WHOLE user experience - not just the OS, or the hardware, or the applications - but the whole deal and the supporting network behind it. There's also the level of customer support which is, in my fairly considerable experience, the best in the industry.

What frequently amuses me is that the most ardent Apple haters are Windows users - if you look at the history of the industry, Microsoft have been even more manipulative than Apple... Windows certainly has its place in the market - and for damned good reason, but Jeez... stones... glass houses.... all that jazz :wub:

The comparison that Apple are the Hublot of the consumer electronics world is just lazy. Hublot have one talent - marketing. There's nothing whatsoever behind it - just a product whose design they've ripped off from someone else. Apple are great at marketing too, but whilst they're not the God-given solution to the world's ills that the fanbois would have you believe, there's sound and genuinely innovative products behind all the RDF if you care to open your eyes.

graman

Well said Greg!

Baldrick

Any serious techie even if he's an Applehead will know that his device of choice is not the best, may be best for him, but not everyone else. I just don't pay any attention to ignoramuses regardless of which camp they are in, I march to the beat of my drum, not everyone else's. :wub:

greg_r

Best? What is best?

'Best' is a sloppy notion foisted on the ignorant by fanbois... ;)

A computer - or for that matter any device is simply a tool to do a job. If you want to bang a nail into the wall, a hammer is the best tool. It's not so useful for hanging wallpaper. :wub:

Ultimately it depends on what you're trying to do - which is why I really don't get the haters, as I said earlier... :D

speedzmaster
Any serious techie even if he's an Applehead will know that his device of choice is not the best, may be best for him, but not everyone else. I just don't pay any attention to ignoramuses regardless of which camp they are in, I march to the beat of my drum, not everyone else's. :wub:

Does this mean you're a CentOS user like me?

I guess you march to the beat of Billy G.

Edited by speedzmaster

barkingtoad

Nail gun is better than a hammer Greg

seriously though +1 on apple customer service

my graffics card frazeled & some other parts on my mac 6 weeks after warranty & apple still repaired mac for free would of cost £600 . Broke my iPhone twice at work ( I knock nails in for a living Greg I'm a joiner ) they gave me new one both times .

So upmost respect to apple for that .

AnywAy I think the thred is loosing focus were supposed to be choosing apps

Baldrick

I wouldn't argue with any of Greg's sentiments, I'm not involved in the tech side of the biz, so that's not important to me, it's like art, I like Jacques Louis David, Batista Tiepolo and Theodore Gericault, neo-classicism IMHO rules over post modernism / impressionism / Dadaism etc etc, I know what I like and that's all that matters to me, over the years I've heard everybody's opinion, I've listened to Mark Levinson haters, I've listened to McIntosh lovers, I've heard debates between Canon lovers and Nikon fans, S&W devotees vs Colt fanatics, Tarantino vs Coen Bros ad infinitum.

If we all settled for Jessica Alba types it would be a very dull world, me, I like Claire Forlani and Lolita Davidovich, takes all kinds, Apple don't have it all right, neither does any other OS / Company / Watch marque, just go with what you like and what gives you a woody JMO :wub:

AustinTech

Just get all the stuff people have on their iphones.

ebzen02
I wouldn't argue with any of Greg's sentiments, I'm not involved in the tech side of the biz, so that's not important to me, it's like art, I like Jacques Louis David, Batista Tiepolo and Theodore Gericault, neo-classicism IMHO rules over post modernism / impressionism / Dadaism etc etc, I know what I like and that's all that matters to me, over the years I've heard everybody's opinion, I've listened to Mark Levinson haters, I've listened to McIntosh lovers, I've heard debates between Canon lovers and Nikon fans, S&W devotees vs Colt fanatics, Tarantino vs Coen Bros ad infinitum.

If we all settled for Jessica Alba types it would be a very dull world, me, I like Claire Forlani and Lolita Davidovich, takes all kinds, Apple don't have it all right, neither does any other OS / Company / Watch marque, just go with what you like and what gives you a woody JMO :wub:

We have our own version of a pseudo-intellectual-coffee house junkie.. Bravo to you man of quasi-wisdom and finite lilliputian knowledge. Oh, wait I sound like you...dork! But you do have a point..

Baldrick
We have our own version of a pseudo-intellectual-coffee house junkie.. Bravo to you man of quasi-wisdom and finite lilliputian knowledge

How would you know :wub:

But you do have a point..

Yes and bearing a great resemblance to your pointy head ;)

BTW, I don't drink coffee :D

Enjoy your Ipud, fud!!

ebzen02

I will thank you!! Drinking a huge cup of joe right now!!!