Sign in to follow this  
Luto

Panerai - The Most Popular Brand?

Luto

Just browsing the weekly wristies thread, it seems as though Panerai are by far the most popular watches to be worn (certainly amongst the chaps here) - followed perhaps by Rolex's and Omegas. Is this correct? Why are they so popular? I mean I do like the watches (have one myself) but it just seems odd theres such a skew towards them or is it just the trait of the main posters on this forum?

Brightlight
Just browsing the weekly wristies thread, it seems as though Panerai are by far the most popular watches to be worn (certainly amongst the chaps here) - followed perhaps by Rolex's and Omegas. Is this correct? Why are they so popular? I mean I do like the watches (have one myself) but it just seems odd theres such a skew towards them or is it just the trait of the main posters on this forum?

It is a skew not reflected in the world at large, and in fact it is difficult to see why a large watch with a manual wind pocketwatch movement is so popular as a rep. I think it is a self perpetuating thing, when I first got into reps I couldn't stand Panerai, that silly protrusion of a CG is just ugly. However I fell under the spell of the forums and started buying Pams until I realised the only comments I was getting was about the size of the watch which looked frankly ridiculous on my 7.5 inch wrists, and I fell out of love, sold off all my Pams (though I still like the smaller Radiomir) and went back to my first love, Rolex and more specifically, Rolex Frankens.

rc42

The Pam lovers are actually a minority but seem to feel a stronger need to post in the wristies threads and be 'noticed' than any normal person.

Hold on, this is a rep watch forum, there are no normal people here

Ska

they have a certain nostalgia and simplicity which I can understand but having a railway station wall clock strapped to your arm. Not for me.

Although yes, the radiomir is much prettier.

phaedo

Pams are soooooooo 2007. The guys on the rep forums that post all the pics of them just haven't caught up yet. :)

dingle

it's because the main poster can not yet afford anything else.....:)

houndoggie

PAM lovers are fanatical. We tend to shout louder and longer than anyone else. Plus the whole homage and rep scene has created a lot of parts for tinkering, customizing, vintaging, and the like. Plus the whole strap culture as well.

KBH

People with little pee-pee's always try to make up for it with large watches that scream "look at me!". It's really rather sad. :rofl:

Brightlight
People with little pee-pee's always try to make up for it with large watches that scream "look at me!". It's really rather sad. :rofl:

+1000 :sconehead:

graman

And I thought that's what Rolex fanboys do!...........:rofl:

You know....I succumbed to Lots of advertising, but I'm too sophisticated to buy a TAG Heuer! :sconehead:

Brightlight
And I thought that's what Rolex fanboys do!...........:sconehead:

Only DSSD owners. But that's not a real Rolex anyway, that is an ugly aberration............... :rofl:

graman
And I thought that's what Rolex fanboys do!...........;)

Only DSSD owners. But that's not a real Rolex anyway, that is an ugly aberration............... :rofl:

:sconehead:

dmisgod

PamBoys ? nah just kiddin, love my 111 and 183 alot.

ebzen02

Just bought an arktos..that is one manly watch...all the rolex snobs are just a bunch of haters!

KBH
Just bought an arktos..that is one manly watch...all the rolex snobs are just a bunch of haters!

We understand, Ebzen. It's OK. :rofl:

AustinTech

I think it is wise to buy reps of some PAMs because the gens have very basic (and cheap) ETA handwind movements. Panerai charges a high premium for these watches because of the unique styling and relitively limited production. Spending $4k on a watch with a basic handwind movement is silly to me. Spending $2k on something like that is silly to me.

Good things about Panerai are the unique styling (you can see one from a long way away), perfect execution of design, and again, limited production. Add to that the whole strap culture that HD mentioned and you've got a cult in the making. There is something about picking out a piece of leather and using it to strap a chunk of metal to your wrist that is just heavenly. I get that. Panerai's marketing people get that also, I think.

Panerai has also been able to design watches that look fine in almost any attire. Shorts and flip-flops, looks good. Suit and tie, looks good. Not many can do that. Omega sometimes does, Breitling rarely does. Rolex - ehh, tough to say. But a rolex looks like shit on anything but steel.

ALl those things add up to a desirable watch for rep guys. High cost, low value (gens), and versatility = demand.

**on the "value" statement - I understand that the gens are expensive, and that the resale is decent. That isn't "value" to me. I need more than a basic ETA movement and limited production for $4k to equal value. Models with in-house movements are beautiful, but they get $$$$$ really fast.

ebzen02

Kbh..you know that I will be sporting thAt BK SD with pride when I get it..

KBH

You think we'll ever get them?

And, I'll have to admit, I have a 183 and a couple of homage pams. Never wear them though.

PatronSaintofChainsaws
However I fell under the spell of the forums and started buying Pams until I realised the only comments I was getting was about the size of the watch which looked frankly ridiculous on my 7.5 inch wrists, and I fell out of love, sold off all my Pams (though I still like the smaller Radiomir) and went back to my first love, Rolex and more specifically, Rolex Frankens.

I totally overheard the cool kids saying that Patek is all the rage and Rolex is, quote, "for the gay". :rofl:

(waits to see if BL starts a bunch of sales threads)

:sconehead:

barkingtoad

Ive got a Pam 113 & a Submariner so whats all the fuss about.

I choose a watch because i like the look of it nothing else.

ebzen02

You think we'll ever get them?

And, I'll have to admit, I have a 183 and a couple of homage pams. Never wear them though.

God only knows..the 2 year wait is just wrong..

ebzen02

+1

Baldrick
Only DSSD owners. But that's not a real Rolex anyway

Ok, give us the skinny, why is it not a REAL Rolex, is that like a 944 is an Audi and not a Porsche?, and if it's not a REAL Rolex, who made it, Omega?

ebzen02
Only DSSD owners. But that's not a real Rolex anyway

if it's not a REAL Rolex, who made it, Omega?

Midgets that wanted a big watch to stand out and be seen.

Brightlight
Ive got a Pam 113 & a Submariner so whats all the fuss about.

Even if it looks like a wall clock on your delicate wrist?