Sign in to follow this  
Luto

Panerai - The Most Popular Brand?

Baldrick

I don't have a delicate wrist, 7 and 3/4" isn't wimpy. a Datejust looks like my 11 year old son's watch!

Midgets that wanted a big watch to stand out and be seen.

Is that a considered opinion, educated guess or a methane release from your cakehole :D

dingle
Only DSSD owners. But that's not a real Rolex anyway

if it's not a REAL Rolex, who made it, Omega?

:D

Brightlight

Ok, give us the skinny, why is it not a REAL Rolex, is that like a 944 is an Audi and not a Porsche?, and if it's not a REAL Rolex, who made it, Omega?

It's an aberration, a mistake, a gut reaction to the big watches fashion we had a few years ago. Rolex tried to justify it by making it watertight at depths that would squash you or me, but it's still stupid. It's a bit like Sir Clive Sinclair, a series of brilliant designs including the ZX Spectrum then he brought out the C5. Ouch!

PatronSaintofChainsaws

if it's not a REAL Rolex, who made it, Omega?

In what world is a regular sized Rolex not still a piece of jewelry?

If you're going to go, go all out.

ebzen02
Ive got a Pam 113 & a Submariner so whats all the fuss about.

I choose a watch because i like the look of it nothing else.

Even if it looks like a wall clock on your delicate wrist?

Confirms our speculations..delicate wrist? Dude..are you a girl?

Baldrick

Ok, give us the skinny, why is it not a REAL Rolex, is that like a 944 is an Audi and not a Porsche?, and if it's not a REAL Rolex, who made it, Omega?

It's an aberration, a mistake, a gut reaction to the big watches fashion we had a few years ago. Rolex tried to justify it by making it watertight at depths that would squash you or me, but it's still stupid. It's a bit like Sir Clive Sinclair, a series of brilliant designs including the ZX Spectrum then he brought out the C5. Ouch!

I don't think so, I'm no Rolex fanboi, but I don't think the 'fashion' for big watches is going to go away any time soon, historical horological trends have shown that over succesive generations watches have become larger, from the early 1900's with very small case sizes, thru the Art Deco period with the advent of slightly larger cases such as the Gruen Curvex which inspired the Muller Cintree Curvex watches, to the 1950's and 1960's standards of 36-38mm then 40mm to the present where 44mm seems to have settled as the industry standard, with as ever, a few exceptions going up to the 60mm+ specialty items, but larger watches have always existed side by side with mainstream high street product.

The fact that you don't like the DSSD is purely personal and not based on any aesthetic failings, just as VW built the Veyron at a cost of 5mil each and took a loss on it, Rolex did the same with the DSSD, it's about technical innovation allied to market perception and ultimately penetration.

I prefer the larger size of the DSSD over a standard Sub, that's just personal taste, I'd much prefer the Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro II @20mm thick it's a beast, but truth is these types of tool watches are way beyond any use that you or I would put them to, so denigrating it on the basis that it can be sumerged to depths way beyond human tolerances is pretty futile, on that basis, nobody would really need or should have a car that exceeds 70mph.

But hey, if you've got a wimpy wrist, then you can only pee with the cock that you have :D

Brightlight

Only in your dreams. Size of wrist is not everything, it also depends on shape, whether it is round or flattened. Mine is round, 7 1/2 and a Pam looks ridiculous on me, hanging over the edges. Look at some of the wristie photos, you'll see plenty of evidence of the same thing, naming no names.......

AllergyDoc

I ran a poll on this on the old RWG. If I recall correctly, the lead bounced back-and-forth between Panerai and Rolex, with Panerai a nose ahead when the site crashed.

The good thing about reps and the rep fora is, you get to try all different kinds of makes for not a lot of cash. If you don't like them, most are easy to sell.

One thing I've learned is, if you have reps you like a lot now, don't sell them when your tastes change; it's likely your tastes will swing back to them and you'll have to buy them again. Get a bigger watch box. :D

AustinTech

Only in your dreams. Size of wrist is not everything, it also depends on shape, whether it is round or flattened. Mine is round, 7 1/2 and a Pam looks ridiculous on me, hanging over the edges. Look at some of the wristie photos, you'll see plenty of evidence of the same thing, naming no names.......

I agree about the shape thing. I have a 7.25 inch wrist, a 44mm pam looks kinda small on me. My wrists are very flat. A 45.5mm PO looks small at times.

Baldrick

When I go to a banquet or a barby, I like to start at one end of the table and taste all the food, I can't stand people who stand and say 'ooh, I don't like the look of that', I'll stick to sausage rolls and cucumber sarnies,' I wanna eat everything on the table or at least try everything :D

AustinTech
One thing I've learned is, if you have reps you like a lot now, don't sell them when your tastes change; it's likely your tastes will swing back to them and you'll have to buy them again. Get a bigger watch box. :D

Good advice. I've let go of a few that I WANT BACK, damn it.

AllergyDoc
When I go to a banquet or a barby, I like to start at one end of the table and taste all the food, I can't stand people who stand and say 'ooh, I don't like the look of that', I'll stick to sausage rolls and cucumber sarnies, I wanna eat everything on the table :D

Sadly, me too. :D Now I have to buy bigger pants and punch new holes in my belts.

Brightlight

I don't think so, I'm no Rolex fanboi, but I don't think the 'fashion' for big watches is going to go away any time soon, historical horological trends have shown that over succesive generations watches have become larger, from the early 1900's with very small case sizes, thru the Art Deco period with the advent of slightly larger cases such as the Gruen Curvex which inspired the Muller Cintree Curvex watches, to the 1950's and 1960's standards of 36-38mm then 40mm to the present where 44mm seems to have settled as the industry standard, with as ever, a few exceptions going up to the 60mm+ specialty items, but larger watches have always existed side by side with mainstream high street product.

The fact that you don't like the DSSD is purely personal and not based on any aesthetic failings, just as VW built the Veyron at a cost of 5mil each and took a loss on it, Rolex did the same with the DSSD, it's about technical innovation allied to market perception and ultimately penetration.

I prefer the larger size of the DSSD over a standard Sub, that's just personal taste, I'd much prefer the Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro II @20mm thick it's a beast, but truth is these types of tool watches are way beyond any use that you or I would put them to, so denigrating it on the basis that it can be sumerged to depths way beyond human tolerances is pretty futile, on that basis, nobody would really need or should have a car that exceeds 70mph.

But hey, if you've got a wimpy wrist, then you can only pee with the cock that you have :D

Let me guess, you have a DSSD, and I've put my foot in it :D

Actually I think the DSSD falls down aesthetically. The reason being, Rolex have kept what appears to be a standard size small dial and just made the bezel and insert and the rehaut bigger and wider to compensate. If they'd done it properly I'd have been the first to consider having one. I can't see the point in making it tolerate ridiculous depths. It is a technical tour de force which is a bit like wanking, a solitary pleasure for Rolex. The car argument and 70mph is specious though there are many would actually agree with that statement.

One day have a look around what your workmates, friends, people you come into contact with wear. I think you'll find most actually wear quite a small watch, probably 36-38mm being about average. Larger watches tend to be worn by the more fashion and celebrity conscious. And a percentage of forum members.............

Brightlight
When I go to a banquet or a barby, I like to start at one end of the table and taste all the food, I can't stand people who stand and say 'ooh, I don't like the look of that', I'll stick to sausage rolls and cucumber sarnies,' I wanna eat everything on the table or at least try everything :D

Hmmm, so you're a glutton? :D

Brightlight

I think you're all missing something - it is great fun to take the piss out of Panerai and large watch fanboys, particularly from the feeling of superiority being a Rolex fanboy gives you. They always rise to it. Like Apple fanboys.

What a bastard I am :D :D :D

Continue amongst yourselves, I have to go. And when you gotta go................

Edited by Brightlight

Baldrick
One day have a look around what your workmates, friends, people you come into contact with wear. I think you'll find most actually wear quite a small watch, probably 36-38mm being about average.

Tis why I prefer something different, whether it's size or design oriented, s'why in the 60's when my mates were listening to Brit pop, I was listening to Tamla and Northern soul, when they 'discovered' those, I had moved onto Coltrane, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Etta James and a myriad of other eclectic artists etc,ad infinitum.

The car analogy isn't specious. any more than stating that Derrick Bird had a 'real need' for a hunting rifle or shotgun, it's fact, nobody needs a car that will travel faster than 70mph, or a watch that will dive to more than 30 metres, or a gun to go out hunting, unless it's required by virtue of exigent circumstance. or dictated by desire.

Hmmm, so you're a glutton?

Only for punishment, but that's not anything that need ever concern you, you have a wimpy wrist :D

PatronSaintofChainsaws
One day have a look around what your workmates, friends, people you come into contact with wear. I think you'll find most actually wear quite a small watch, probably 36-38mm being about average. Larger watches tend to be worn by the more fashion and celebrity conscious. And a percentage of forum members.............

Meh, most of them don't wear watches...because it's 2010 and watches were rendered redundant for the populace in the late 1990s.

Hence my "jewelry" comment earlier.

cybee

I have more Rolex's and Panerai's than any other reps, but if someone offered me a free gen of my choosing with money no object, I would choose neither Rolex or Panerai :D

Baldrick

That's all watches are, an expression of good taste and status, they're completely redundant, but men have a hard time letting go, especially the older generations, younger men are less wrapped up in watches, preferring their mobile etc etc.

Luto

woah! I didn't realise people had such strong opinions over watches - they are just watches after all! I don't have an issue with the size of Pams either because there are plenty of other models now that are 44-47mm I was just wondering whether its just a short-term fad thing over their popularity.

At first I didn't like Pams but then I thought why not have a go and got myself a rep. And I loved it! And it still looks great on my (small) wrists, chunky but not ridiculously oversized. But as with most things after you've gotten used to them you hanker for other things (grass is greener and all that) so bought more reps of other models (IWC's namely) and so it doesn't get as much wrist time (pun intended) as it used to.

Luthier

I love hard rock. Played it for many, many years. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc.

But if somebody will ask me- What band is #1? - I'll say- The Beatles, period. When I listened Abbey Road last time? Years ago.

Same with Rolex. It's the brand #1, period, doesn't matter, who will say what. As I said once - Rolex is an aristocrat, Panerai is a plebs. It doesn't mean I hate PAMs. I have 164, 222, Daylight, wear it sometimes, and I like it. Definitely will buy few more. But I can't say I love PAMs more than any other brand. I also don't understand, why everyone talking only about Rolex, Panerai, Omega, Breitling and ... and that's it, actually. What about other beautiful watches - Ullisse Nardin, Roger Dubuis, Chopard, Hublot, De Witt, Franck Muller, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, and many others?

I want to have a few models of each of these brands in my collection. And wear whatever I want, when I want.

greg_r
I love hard rock. Played it for many, many years. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc.

But if somebody will ask me- What band is #1? - I'll say- The Beatles, period. When I listened Abbey Road last time? Years ago.

Same with Rolex. It's the brand #1, period, doesn't matter, who will say what. As I said once - Rolex is an aristocrat, Panerai is a plebs. It doesn't mean I hate PAMs. I have 164, 222, Daylight, wear it sometimes, and I like it. Definitely will buy few more. But I can't say I love PAMs more than any other brand. I also don't understand, why everyone talking only about Rolex, Panerai, Omega, Breitling and ... and that's it, actually. What about other beautiful watches - Ullisse Nardin, Roger Dubuis, Chopard, Hublot, De Witt, Franck Muller, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, and many others?

I want to have a few models of each of these brands in my collection. And wear whatever I want, when I want.

Well said, Luthier - I agree entirely.

Brightlight
Only for punishment, but that's not anything that need ever concern you, you have a wimpy wrist B)

I may have a wimpy wrist but I don't have a limp wrist or I wouldn't be here, I'd be over at Limp Wrist-Check :lol:

Brightlight

That's all watches are, an expression of good taste and status, they're completely redundant, but men have a hard time letting go, especially the older generations, younger men are less wrapped up in watches, preferring their mobile etc etc.

It's a lifetime habit for me, little to do with good taste or status (though of course in my case good taste goes without saying!). If I want to know the time I automatically look at my watch, I actually feel naked without one. Hauling a mobile out of my pocket, pressing the button to wake up the screen, then seeing the time just doesn't do it for me.

It's an interesting point though, my son, like a lot of young people, has no time for watches (pun intended) at all and it does make one wonder if watches will more or less die out with the older generations.

GC

If you luv watches like I do, it doesn't really mater who (brand), what (size) , where (it comes from) or when (it's considered in style)...

The only advice i always share, because it's always so easily forgotten is: enjoy them all, for what they are, the only people who lose out are those that confine themselves to one style, one brand or one direction. For me the Verve summed it up perfectly in Bitter Sweet Symphony "But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no".