Sign in to follow this  
Luto

Panerai - The Most Popular Brand?

greg_r
Hence my "jewelry" comment earlier.

That's all watches are, an expression of good taste and status, they're completely redundant, but men have a hard time letting go, especially the older generations, younger men are less wrapped up in watches, preferring their mobile etc etc.

It's a lifetime habit for me, little to do with good taste or status (though of course in my case good taste goes without saying!). If I want to know the time I automatically look at my watch, I actually feel naked without one. Hauling a mobile out of my pocket, pressing the button to wake up the screen, then seeing the time just doesn't do it for me.

It's an interesting point though, my son, like a lot of young people, has no time for watches (pun intended) at all and it does make one wonder if watches will more or less die out with the older generations.

True - my son is the same way. He doesn't wear a watch and uses his PDA or cellphone if he wants to tell the time.

Like you, however, I don't feel dressed without a watch...

Luthier
Well said, Luthier - I agree entirely.

Thank you, Boss.

P.S. Tell you son - watch is not only the time showing device.

But I'm sure you did it already many times.

:lol:

greg_r

Yep - tried that. He owns a couple of fairly decent watches, but hardly ever wears them...

Brightlight
If you luv watches like I do, it doesn't really mater who (brand), what (size) , where (it comes from) or when (it's considered in style)...

The only advice i always share, because it's always so easily forgotten is: enjoy them all, for what they are, the only people who lose out are those that confine themselves to one style, one brand or one direction. For me the Verve summed it up perfectly in Bitter Sweet Symphony "But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no".

Ah but Bittersweet Symphony uses an orchestral version of the Rolling Stones 'The last time' supposedly conducted by Andrew Loog Oldham (their manager at the time). Is that relevant? I don't know............. "Well I told you once and I told you twice, but you never listen to my advice.."

GC
If you luv watches like I do, it doesn't really mater who (brand), what (size) , where (it comes from) or when (it's considered in style)...

The only advice i always share, because it's always so easily forgotten is: enjoy them all, for what they are, the only people who lose out are those that confine themselves to one style, one brand or one direction. For me the Verve summed it up perfectly in Bitter Sweet Symphony "But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no".

Ah but Bittersweet Symphony uses an orchestral version of the Rolling Stones 'The last time' supposedly conducted by Andrew Loog Oldham (their manager at the time). Is that relevant? I don't know............. "Well I told you once and I told you twice, but you never listen to my advice.."

Worst part about it is, originally The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample. Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" is partially based on the Oldham track, which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

"We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they (The Stones) saw how well the record was doing," says band member Simon Jones. "They rung up and said, 'We want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice.'"

After losing the composer credits to the song, Richard Ashcroft commented, "This is the best song Jagger and Richards have written in 20 years."

Baldrick
I'd be over at Limp Wrist-Check

We know you lurk over there, now, shut that door!

Sorry, my bad, I got slightly mixed up, it wasn't Limp Wrist-Check, it was Limp Dick-Check :D

I want to have a few models of each of these brands in my collection. And wear whatever I want, when I want.

Fortunately I have more than a few examples of those in my collection :wub:

Interestingly enough, the 'collecting watches' habit I have extends beyond actual watches into the realms of virtual ones, I downloaded SPB Time for my HD2, which features a whole of load of alternative screen clock skins / stopwatch / timers / alarms including B&R / JLC / Patek etc.

SPB TIME

Brightlight
I'd be over at Limp Wrist-Check

We know you lurk over there, now, shut that door!

Sorry, my bad, I got slightly mixed up, it wasn't Limp Wrist-Check, it was Limp Dick-Check :D

Actually when you get to my age, you are probably right. But then I look at my wife and think, hell it don't matter anyway :wub::D

Interestingly enough, the 'collecting watches' habit I have extends beyond actual watches into the realms of virtual ones, I downloaded SPB Time for my HD2, which features a whole of load of alternative screen clock skins / stopwatch / timers / alarms including B&R / JLC / Patek etc.

I do the same, I have a gadget on my W7 desktop with half a dozen options, currently showing a Datejust which actually sweeps. Bet your SPB Time doesn't have a Panerai, screen's too small :D

Baldrick
Actually when you get to my age, you are probably right. But then I look at my wife and think, hell it don't matter anyway

S'funny, i had that exact same thought when I was looking at her on Sat'day nite, then Errol made me a cup'o'tea. :D

Yeah, I have that gadget also, and the HD2 has such a BIG screen it can quite easily sccomodate an Egiziano, not like those pissy poor Android and Iphones. :wub:

Brightlight
Actually when you get to my age, you are probably right. But then I look at my wife and think, hell it don't matter anyway

S'funny, i had that exact same thought when I was looking at her on Sat'day nite, then Errol made me a cup'o'tea. :D

Yeah, I have that gadget also, and the HD2 has such a BIG screen it can quite easily sccomodate an Egiziano, not like those pissy poor Android and Iphones. :wub:

Bigger screen huh? I am starting to see a pattern of compensation here :D

Baldrick
screen's too small

S'funny, I'm starting to see a pattern of association here.

AustinTech

This has turned into quite the entertaining thread.

Continue...

:lol:

dingle
This has turned into quite the entertaining thread.

Continue...

;)

+1

:D

:lol: @ BL's limp wrist-check comment

Luthier

I'd advise them to go out and beat hell outta each other, not to derail the topic.