Sign in to follow this  
arty909

Leather strap rejuvenation...

arty909

Hi guys- I've worn my new Fiddy for about two weeks non-stop (except in the shower) and I'm starting to see signs of wear. Does anyone use some type of cleaner or leather treatment to keep the leather soft and prevent cracking? I've got a new black strap coming from Andrew, and I'd like to know if there's something different I should be doing...

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00307.JPG

Sorry, I should have trimmed my nails for the photo shoot! Thanks, Arty

onzenuub

I cann't see the pictures Art.

arty909

That's wierd- I put 'em up the same way I always do, and I can see the photos... coiuld you log off and sign back into the forum and try again? Now I'm curious... Arty

onzenuub

Nope, logged of and on, still no pics

arty909

OK, let's see if this works...

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00307.JPG

Let me know... Arty

onzenuub

Yes can see the pics now. Did you try some leather grease

arty909

Not sure what to try- I remember using 'Lexol' on my baseball mitt years ago... Anybody else tried anything? I just don't want the leather to start cracking... right now it's just wrinkled.

greg_r

Do bear in mind that thicker straps do tend to wrinkle somewhat anyhow. However, for long term care, I tend to use extra-fine beeswax

alphakazi

I would use any shoe leather conditioner (not polish) - Mink oil is probably best or any other oil with larger amounts of palmitoleic acid

I haven't heard of conditioning watch straps but I suppose because they are leather they should get the same treatment as any other

I got an extended service warranty for my Lazy Boy furniture which includes free leather care products for 4 years - I also do my car with it and can refill it anytime - I guess I could give a little love to my watch straps as well :D

get a tin of Mink oil for like $5 ( should last a lifetime), rub it in and let it stand overnight - rub off any excess before wearing

sconehead

I read somewhere saddle soaps supposed to be good...

arty909

Thanks to all! You gave me some great ideas. Ciao, Arty

onzenuub

As Greg said, the beeswax will help too

alphakazi

and also beeswax :lol:

I'm getting the hang of post whoring

AllergyDoc

I don't think there's much you can do for rep straps. The pleather will crack no matter what you do. If you like the 127, get a good strap to put on it. You'll love your watch even more.

arty909
I don't think there's much you can do for rep straps. The pleather will crack no matter what you do. If you like the 127, get a good strap to put on it. You'll love your watch even more.

Doc- I'll bet my left n*t that this is genuine medium to high grade leather, both top and underside. Although now I recall that you had a Fiddy, are you saying the rep factory rep strap didn't meet your expectations? I'm even toying with the idea of ordering a Gen replacement OEM strap on the Bay just to have the proper markings. In your opinion- would the Gen strap hold up any better? I should probably stop sleeping with this thing on, but I never had to think about that with my Rollies... Best, Arty

AllergyDoc

I did have a Fiddy. I sold it because I never wore it.

HKCP127front.jpg

There are so many good straps for Panerai. Check out the dealer's section. HKTan (the maker of my strap), Strap Culture, Toscana, etc.

graman

I usually buy a decent strap from somewhere online, then keep it clean.

Outer....beeswax leather polish stuff I use on most of my leather..it's a mixture of beeswax and parrafin.

Inner....every now and then, a little dishwashing liquid rubbed in to the inside of the strap, particularly where you sweat, followed by some time in a sunlit window to dry it out.

Do this at least every 2 weeks for every day wear or a like amount of time, otherwise it will get stinky.

JohnG

945.jpg

no7.jpg

greg_r

I really must pick up an SC Legend for my PAM111...

JohnG

yup