Sign in to follow this  
norrie

PAM 389 out soon

norrie

Angus has been working with a maker on the 389. Says they're ironing out some bugs and he'll be taking pre orders in September. Not Noob but says its Noob quality. Might be the 372 maker? Looking forward to this one!!

Kewlin2001

Helllllllooooooo Forum!

Please let me know if and when this watch comes out. Ever since I saw the gen in Vegas last May, I have been craving it. But the quality of the ones available now is mediocre at best.

Just picked up the 372 and it is unbelievable. If produced by the same manufacturer, I am sure to buy!

tommylad

Should be next month.

norrie

Helllllllooooooo Forum!

Please let me know if and when this watch comes out. Ever since I saw the gen in Vegas last May, I have been craving it. But the quality of the ones available now is mediocre at best.

Just picked up the 372 and it is unbelievable. If produced by the same manufacturer, I am sure to buy!

Sounds like a winner. Angus did say the words "super rep".

Which also might mean a few more super rep subs on the horizon.

ALE7575

Be careful about this PAM 389 replca, it is not as simple as it seems

There are a lot of details to bear in mind and that nowadys are not yet fixed.

I have seen the first samples from Angus and they are still many things to be corrected.

I actually don't know if all them will be really corrected.

Read about that the thread in Reep Geek about this replica:

http://www.repgeek.c...030#post2292030

And a copy of my first comments in above thread:

Hi Angus

This is a nice initiative for a very waited watch

It is curious the design of Panerai, like good designs, you are reluctant first time but on the time you fall in love with them. For this reason many people don’t know PAMs and in a moment they change your opinion and become Paneristi.

Due to that we are a little crazy and people ask themselves why are we crazy and try to understand it.

Well, coming back to PAM 389

We are waiting for a replica of this watch but, obviously, we are waiting for a First Class rep or, since it has solid caseback, a true Super replica.

I know you are showing just first samples of prototypes and they are not final samples. But, anyway there are some matters that I would like to comment in order to inform maker asap and try to fix them, if necessary, before more developments.

WARNING: This is not an “official” Review and the info included is not completely confirmed. That is written just for informative purposes to maker.

Maker should decide if this info is true and if must or want to include some modifications in its replicas

In all comparison pics the GEN watch is at the left side

Firstly a general view comparison:

PAM389-generalfrente-comp_zps4dfadcab.jpg

We will see below how are placed (recessed, flush or rised) the round numeral and dot markers and the pearl in gen bezel surface

Gen metalic round markers and pearl upper surfaces are placed in a plan, since the bezel has a slope, the markers are a bit recessed in the inner part and a bit raised in the outer part. The holes in ceramic bezel to shelter round markers seem also a little embossed.

The minute markers from 12 to 3 hrs in the bezel seem that they are made drilling the ceramic and you can see the metallic background (or they are very deep and are painted in the bottom part). As you can see in below FIGURES

PAM389-12-GEN_zps5b9efbfd.jpg

PAM389-6-GEN_zps07dec57d.jpg

Replica has completely raised the markers, bezel holes seem no embossed, Minute markers from 12 to 3 hrs seem without depth enough and rough.

The ceramic surface of the bezel seems flat in rep and with a fine sandblasted texture in gen.

Contour of the pearl seem very thick (pearl smaller) and round markers seem a bit bigger than gen ones.

As we can see in below FIGURES

PAM389-1ercuad-comp_zpsa70aab3e.jpg

PAM389-9-comp_zps16bdf150.jpg

The external knurled ring of the bezel is very weel defined and crisp in gen, but in rep is overpolished and rounded as showed in below FIGURE

PAM389-2ordmcuad-comp_zps409ad231.jpg

General shape of the case-set seems good, with seemingly good lug shape, but perhaps the gen has more rounded side view. But maybe is the angle of the pic

PAM389-fr9-comp_zpse7dadbfa.jpg

The CG is correct in shape and fitting but gen has much more rounded external edges, mainly in upper part, as we can see in below FIGUREs

PAM389-CG1-comp_zps49b2ea84.jpg

PAM389-fr3-GEN_zpse0e02b10.jpg

I don’t comment about caseback, lever and CG pin since it is a sample and they seem not definitive parts. I don’t comment either about misaligned fonts for the same reason.

Overall finish and fitting seem good

I repeat, maker must decide if it has to bear in mind above observations.

I hope to be helpful

ALE

Higs

ALE,

it's been said before and I'm sure it will be said again but you are a real asset to this hobby (obsession?).

The work you put in on stuff like this means we all end up with better reps over time.

Cheers,

Higs

ALE7575

ALE,

it's been said before and I'm sure it will be said again but you are a real asset to this hobby (obsession?).

The work you put in on stuff like this means we all end up with better reps over time.

Cheers,

Higs

Thanks and LOL

I take all my hobbies in the same way, maybe obsession as you say

Really glad to be helpful

ALE

norrie

Angus has acknowledged that there's a way to go and there will be more changes so hopefully it'll be pretty close. I just hope they nail the ceramic.

Visioneer

I plan to make the First Class version of this watch my next rep purchase. Also looking for PVD PAM version but can't seem to find one that is of decent quality.

cheeese

HMM - black bay or 389 for my September purchase they should both be released on the same week - decisions, decisions.

Tudor-Heritage-Black-Bay-Reference-7922R.png

Panerai_PAM389.jpg