Sign in to follow this  
omni

Did you know alum spice dissolves steel?

omni

WristG7.jpg

So just picked up my Airman 7 from my jeweler tonight. He said he could not mechanically tool the broken stem out of the crown that I broke off, so he just dissolved the steel stem in the crown with common alum off of the spice rack!

He first tested it on the crown which had no effect as he said it must be made out of some kind of chrome white metal, so leaving the crown in a solution of alum for a day, it completely dissolved the steel stem piece that was stuck in the crown. I'd never heard of this trick so I thought I'd pass this tidbit on to the modders out their.

To expand on this story, my auto-watchwinder had hard plastic holders that would barely hold this 53mm cased watch, and while putting it in one of the holders, I snapped the crown off the main movement. Needless to say the winder is now in the garbage since it was a cheapie anyway and I was pissed-off. Ordered a stem from Ofrei and hoped I didn't have to order a new crown from Glycine and wait forever. Happily this all worked out well and he had it back to me in 2 days. Have any of you ever heard of this before?

Alls well that ends well and I didn't have to hassle ordering and waiting a month for a new Glycine marked crown.

Cheers

alphakazi

wow - that's interesting - a spice that dissolves steel - hmph

cool watch btw - how much was it?

omni
wow - that's interesting - a spice that dissolves steel - hmph

cool watch btw - how much was it?

$1999 2 years ago.

trailboss99

Mmmm. Fire proofs paper and cloth too. Usefull stuff alum. A little in the oil or gas goes a long way in the engine of somone you don't like as well :rofl:

Col.

oscarmadfish

wow nice watch :rofl:

alphakazi
Mmmm. Fire proofs paper and cloth too. Usefull stuff alum. A little in the oil or gas goes a long way in the engine of somone you don't like as well :blink:

Col.

ouch - that's harsh <_<