Sign in to follow this  
Ilikewaches

Gen Omega crown and tube in, to mod or not?

Ilikewaches

So I got my parts in tube, crown and stem. But here is the thing, in the mean time I did the crimp the tube fix and the crown is feeling good now and screwing down nice and tight. So should I do the mod anyway, or wait until it fails again? I was thinking I could do a waterproofing along the way and stick it in the bottom of my pool without the movement in to test it, only thing is I don't yet have a crystal press so I would have to hope that doesn't have any leaks. Here is a pic of the parts.

MI7r2qw.jpg

djward

can you please explain the crimpimg method you used to make that repair... i'd like to try it on one i have, thanks

Olly

If you put the Gen parts in the watch it wont be a straight forward fit. You will have to epoxy the tube into the case with a waterproof epoxy resin. I would suggest doing it because the rep tube will trash the threads. Personally i would send it to a Modder like Wiz as he has done this Mod MANY times :)

Olly

warcelo

Is this for the PO 42mm?

If you don't mod it, i would be glad to buy, my crown broke!

For my SMP Chrono i just smashed the tube a little in an oval shape and now the crown is screwing down nice and tight!

Ilikewaches

It's almost done, sorry bro. I used marine epoxy for a watertight seal and it's currently curing. Takes a full 24 hours. So far so good. Yes the 42, if you need the parts here is the website.

http://www.ofrei.com/page721.html

Type 168.1651 to the search and you will find all the parts you need.

The tube crimp is easy, just take the back off, pull the stem out and press the keyless to remove the stem. Then just take a pair of pliers and squeeze the tube a little, Then put the stem back and hope it screws in again. If worked really well for me but I decided to put the gen parts in anyway. Really not very difficult, I know enough to do this, no modder needed.

Ilikewaches

Here are a few pics of the progress. Feels good and I've got a nice bead on the inside. I'm going to let it fully cure before I start messing around testing it in the pool or putting the movement back in.

PnwOzsM.jpg

sYPmHA6.jpg

warcelo

Great! Do the gen tube is plug and play? Or it does not screw in? I will buy the parts today! Thanks!

Ilikewaches

Great! Do the gen tube is plug and play? Or it does not screw in? I will buy the parts today! Thanks!

No it's not plug and play, It does not screw in. It's smaller. You will have to use a two part marine epoxy and carefully position it. I mixed the epoxy and then I used one of my metal pin pushers to grab a bit of epoxy. I coated the screw on the tube and placed it in the case and kept checking it to make sure it was straight from all angles. Once it set in about 2 hours I then flipped it over and again using the pin pusher grabbed some epoxy and carefully ran a bead around from the inside. A toothpick should also work. Use acetone to clean anything that that looks sloppy before it cures. It's really not hard, you can do it.

Make sure you buy a new crown and tube as the rep parts won't work with the gen parts. Also pick up a new stem for your movement. That website has them, mine is a DG4813, just type that into the search and it will come up. What I did was measure the rep stem from the base of the crown to the tip of the stem. I then cut the new stem down a little by little and made sure it was the same I used a dremel to cut it and then grind it it by bit. Here is an example pic. Start with it a little longer than the rep one so you know it will engage the movement. If the crown won't screw all the way down then take the stem back out and grind or sandpaper it a little bit shorter until it engages everything, but also screws down flush. I already did this part. The gen is the one on the left.

Jje9qFJ.jpg

Edited by Ilikewaches

Ilikewaches

Ok time for my waterproof test. Here is a pic. It's in the bottom of my pool (deep end) without the movement in it. This is a deep as I will ever go so it's all the testing I need. I'm going to leave it there for an hour or so.

dB3iq0n.jpg

Edited by Ilikewaches

Olly

Cant wait to see the result !!! Although you should have applied pressure on the tube so that it sits perfectly against the case. I'm sure you will be ok but it's something you should have done :):clap:

Ilikewaches

Cant wait to see the result !!! Although you should have applied pressure on the tube so that it sits perfectly against the case. I'm sure you will be ok but it's something you should have done :):clap:

I did, it is tightly up against the case and seems to be sitting just right, you do have to be careful with the pressure push to hard and it can slip a bit and go down and slightly dip into the opening and end up crooked, check out this pic stem looks as straight as it can get. I just pulled it out of the pool after a little over an hour in the deep end and it was dry as a bone!!!! Yes. Here is the after pool pic. I just opened it back up and cleaned the crystal inside and out with acetone. I'm going to let it sit just a little longer before I put the movement back in just to be certain the epoxy is completely cured. No rush.

RA2cHCl.jpg

warcelo

Thanks for all the information.

As you might know, i broke the stem of my PO

316lt0g.jpg

There is no way to unscrew the stem from the crown and i was going to buy a GEN crown.

Do you thinks that is worth the gen crown ? Or better to ask you to sell me your rep one? :P

My tube is in perfect conditions.

Ilikewaches

There is a way to dissolve the stem part that is stuck in your crown. Aluminum something or other, try a search on dissolving stem. You can't just get a gen crown, it won't work with the tube. I can sell you my rep crown if that doesn't work, are you in the US, but it might be stripped, thats why I did this, not sure I should sell it to anyone.

Edited by Ilikewaches

warcelo

I do have an address in the USA but i'm in Brazil.

You can send me a PM with the price that you have in mind? I think i will go with the rep crown, i'm spending too much money in my PO ( new crystal, relume and bezel insert ).

I need to save some money! :)

Thank you!

BTW i tried to remove my stem and broke the crown, so i really need a new one!

tzsteve

Great post! I need to do this to my po,I've crimped my tube for the moment but not happy with it. just wondering how does the crown feel when screwing it down now? As from day one my po felt as if it was going to strip every time I closed it,I assume it has a much more positive feel to it, another question.. How is the crown attached to the stem.. Is it pressed in?

Great work !!

flyr

Great post! I need to do this to my po,I've crimped my tube for the moment but not happy with it. just wondering how does the crown feel when screwing it down now? As from day one my po felt as if it was going to strip every time I closed it,I assume it has a much more positive feel to it, another question.. How is the crown attached to the stem.. Is it pressed in?

Great work !!

The stem is screwed into crown.

Ilikewaches

Great work !!

The stem screws into the crown and I put some lock tight on it. The crown screws down with confidence now, just like you would imagine a gen Omega would.

Ilikewaches

I do have an address in the USA but i'm in Brazil.

You can send me a PM with the price that you have in mind? I think i will go with the rep crown, i'm spending too much money in my PO ( new crystal, relume and bezel insert ).

I need to save some money! :)

Thank you!

BTW i tried to remove my stem and broke the crown, so i really need a new one!

It might be stripped, that's why I did this. I'll send it to you for free, PM me the US address. I'm not comfortable selling it.

Ilikewaches

Dam it, the epoxy broke loose. I'm going to get some metal epoxy and try it again. The marine stuff was still a little soft even after 28 hours.

warcelo

That's sad! But i think that with the metal epoxy you will be able to fix it!

Good luck my friend!

Ilikewaches

I got this, the stuff I had was only 1200 psi, some of the metal stuff is 3500 psi and also watertight. I cleaned everything off by soaking in acetone and I used my fiberglass pen to clean if fully, this should also key the surface a bit better. Trip back to the store tomorrow to find the strongest epoxy I can find and I'm going to let it set for at least 48 hours this time.

flyr

Just use JB Weld I have never had this stuff fail if mixed and applied correctly

http://www.google.co....51156542,d.b2I

You might want to watch out for the other stuff as it sets up in 4 minutes which is not very long for lining things up perfect. :sad:

warcelo

I was going to say that! 4 Minutes is not long enough to work with!