Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

FAO Aquaracer Calibre 5 500M Owners - SEL Fitment

SSTEEL

I was going to post this in the Tag Heuer section, but then thought it would be best here due to the nature of my question, and planned repair.

Do you own an Aquaracer 500M? If so, what is your SEL fitment like, more specifically the profile of your SEL's within the lugs of the watch case?

Mine is pretty spot on, apart from one side, here's a quick photo of the offending fitment. As you can see, this side, the SEL is not fitting flush with the lug profile. Excuse the iPhone photos.

9579172009_d826e432ca_b.jpg

Now a photo of the other side, which is nice and flush..

9579172769_71d46acdd6_b.jpg

Now upon closer inspection, the offending side, I can see a slight gap in the fitting under the bezel. Last night, I decided to remove the bracelet and try a bigger spring bar, thinking this would solve the issue, but alas it did not.

I did however discover that the offending SEL on the bracelet, when compared to the other sides is rough, and more of an unfinished casting.

What I now plan to do is take some measurements, and then file down the offending, protruding casting, which is causing the poor fitment.

If anyone is interested, I can document this in the aid of helping other members who may have a similar issue with their Aquaracer, or any other ill-fitting SEl fitment with a rep.

SSTEEL

Here's a few better photos of todays work on correcting this. Please be advised, the part of the SEL that I has to file is also a vital part of the bracelet, as the protruding tab rests on the back of the watch case to prevent SEL movement when worn.

I had to carefully measure the differences in size of these tabs, then using a watchmaker file, filed the linger of the two bit by bit, measuring in-between.

SEL fitment before work..

9579172009_d826e432ca_b.jpg

Other side of same SEL..

9579172769_71d46acdd6_b.jpg

Photo of the tabs on the SEL. The one of the right is a little bigger than the left one, but this is not obvious until you measure with a calliper.

9582451544_c861266ff1_b.jpg

Right tab measurement 6.92mm

9579665243_425ec67915_b.jpg

Left side tab measurement, 6.79mm

9579665133_d396486f31_b.jpg

So very small, 0.13mm difference, and it's this small difference causing the SEL ill-fitment.

SEL after tab filed down to correct length..

9579665043_879195ff6c_b.jpg

And finally, the end result, and whilst not perfect, its the best I could achieve with what little tab I had to work with. Afterall, its a rep. I may try and find a gen bracelet for this rep watch as its proving to be very accurate in aesthetics, and timekeeping :)

9582450534_5947617c28_b.jpg

Wriggles

Nice work. Interested in one of these so could be useful if I manage to track one down.

Good tut