Sign in to follow this  
Chrisby

'Franken' Reps.....

Chrisby

I've just been searching Repgeek for possible purchases (don't worry i am also looking here! :D ) and just wondered what people thought about franken reps.

The reason I ask is that, to a point, I can see why you'd want to replace parts with gen such as strap, buckle, bezel, hands, dial etc, as these are visual improvements and can certainly make your watch look better. I have just seen a franken IWC over at the geek with a gen IWC movement, for a substantial amount of money. I, for one wouldn't part with that kind of money for something that is still just a rep. Okay you have a genuine movement in there, but where do you take it to get it service? You'd still have to take it to your local friendly watchsmith, right?

I'm just interested in other members views on franken watches.

Stuvetjee

Well there is a franken datejust thread over read that :) i think when you have a perfect franken you could walk in a AD for sure :giggle:

yawn

i tried to replace all my reps with gen movement so i can get it serviced locally in the future. and i tried to mod my reps as close as possible to gens so the tiny flaws will not drive me nut. 'loving your rep as it is' is just not my style.

Corv99

Bit different for me, I'm not that bothered about small differences, my frankens are off m2ms and have even deals/ trades as there's a point your into big money!

So mine are gen dials, straps and bracelets which do lift the feel a lot, movements to me aren't worth it, a service at an AD is going to cost the price of a rep of the watch!

But it's personal choice at the end of the day, if you have the funds it's a big saving on buying a gen

My funds and circumstances were one gen or 15 or so decent reps (odd cheap ones and quartz even) pleased with path I took

Even though I could probably have 2 gens now as things have avalanched , but I blame all of you fekkers for that!!

Chrisby

Well there is a franken datejust thread over read that :) i think when you have a perfect franken you could walk in a AD for sure :giggle:

Just read a franken datejust thread over at RG, have to say that i'm impressed with it! I'd be interested to know just how much was spent making the franken though, against the cost of a gen.

I can completely understand wanting to do a project like that too, at the end of the day you could wear your franken and think, i did that!

Chrisby

Bit different for me, I'm not that bothered about small differences, my frankens are off m2ms and have even deals/ trades as there's a point your into big money!

So mine are gen dials, straps and bracelets which do lift the feel a lot, movements to me aren't worth it, a service at an AD is going to cost the price of a rep of the watch!

But it's personal choice at the end of the day, if you have the funds it's a big saving on buying a gen

My funds and circumstances were one gen or 15 or so decent reps (odd cheap ones and quartz even) pleased with path I took

Even though I could probably have 2 gens now as things have avalanched , but I blame all of you fekkers for that!!

I'm with you there Corv, I don't feel the need to replace things like the movement, pin, tube etc, even on a display caseback, I think there are some very good looking rep movements out there for a display caseback. The visual gen parts I understand completely, it just adds to the look of the watch.

That being said everyone is different and obviously there is going to be a lot of variation on what people consider to be essential mods.

As for the avalanching hobby, that's so true, you think you've got just what you need and some fekker, goes and posts another pic of a purchase and you're left thinking... 'yup, that's another one I need!' :D

Chrisby

i tried to replace all my reps with gen movement so i can get it serviced locally in the future. and i tried to mod my reps as close as possible to gens so the tiny flaws will not drive me nut. 'loving your rep as it is' is just not my style.

Again I agree with this, and since my purchase of a Skyland, I have switched (just) the cheap feeling bracelet to a Gator brown, and instantly transformed it, it looks so much better than before!

Stuvetjee

Just read a franken datejust thread over at RG, have to say that i'm impressed with it! I'd be interested to know just how much was spent making the franken though, against the cost of a gen.

I can completely understand wanting to do a project like that too, at the end of the day you could wear your franken and think, i did that!

you know, its not just what i said walking pimp in a AD with it, but i think its the whole process. Seeing your rep change and did it all by yourself. That is the most satisfaction about franken your rep :)

SSTEEL

I frankened the hell out of my Carrera, and whilst it was just under retail of a used Carrera, I feel more attached, and have an emotional connection with my franken as I did all the work myself. Its 99% gen now with just the case being rep.

Martinjogs

I've not really got a desire to franken a watch but have a couple of watches with a gen strap, a deployant or bezel. I should think that a gen dial would make a visual difference but the idea of putting a gen movement or crown seems slightly perverse to me. Having said this each to their own!

Chrisby
I frankened the hell out of my Carrera, and whilst it was just under retail of a used Carrera, I feel more attached, and have an emotional connection with my franken as I did all the work myself. Its 99% gen now with just the case being rep.

Are you going to go all the way and get a case too?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

SSTEEL

Are you going to go all the way and get a case too?

No, but I will be fitting my gen pushers, and tube to the rep case. Just waiting for my HSS Micro Tap & Die kit to arrive.

I did enquire about t new genuine case set, but it was only available fro TH themselves, and @£1k, I decided it was too much lol

Edited by SSTEEL

Chrisby

As I said I completely get the whole achievement of doing the franken yourself, and as you say, the watch would have a huge personal feel to it

SSTEEL

It still does, and I am always on the look out for a broken, faulty, or damaged Carrera, just in case one pops up, then I can replace the case for gen.

jizza24

i think this hobby is a lot like car customising i wouldn't frank a rep to such extremes maybe just strap and dial, but would go ape on a car. i don't think its about building a gen but rather customising your rep and have like minded people acknowledge the workmanship that went into it.

Chrisby

Jeez, a grand for a case! :omfg: That is a bit on the expensive side. I hope you find a tag for spares!

Chrisby

That explains it perfectly Onionbag! :hehehe:

jizza24
:giggle: the cadillac song

watchlover442

haha johnny cash my main man!