Sign in to follow this  
Jagsman

Some seiko advice needed.....

Jagsman

...I'm looking for a new daily beater, something waterproof and solid. I was thinking about a solar powered seiko or a citizen Eco drive. Anyone have any idea if one tends to be more reliable than the other? Dunno,why I like the idea of the solar power, but I do.

I was looking at something like SSC017P1 not necessarily this exact model but something like that, sub £300 if poss.

Any help or suggestions welcomed. Just starting to get a handle on the movements in the reps and now a whole new set to become familiar with!

Jags

greg_r

You're not going to go far wrong with either brand. Both ultra-reliable. I'll admit I tend to go for automatics rather than quartz most of the time, but either way you're going to end up with a reliable watch.

Jagsman

Cheers Greg, not sure how I manage it but I seem to be hard on watches, I'm always clunking them on something or other, so something solid and reliable is needed, I was looking at the seiko kinetic's too, I take it they are the autos you speak of?

Mazz

Like greg said both are bombproof the ecozilla is a very robust watch but very thick

greg_r

No, Kinetics are still effectively quartz - the battery is charged by the movement of a rotor.

Seikos will take a helluva beating - sure you can scratch 'em up, but they'll keep working regardless.

The Seiko monster is a good example of a reliable auto - and they're about as durable as watches get short of something like a G-shock.

This is one of mine:

seiko_black_monster.jpg

Jagsman

Lovely! Gotch re kinetic and solar, they just have a battery to store the power created by movement or light.

Seen some really nice seikos so many to choose from, it's funny how you start with one idea (<300 quid sub type watch) and move on to all sorts. Really liking some of the velturas and the 'made in Japan, special editions. Need to calm myself and remember this one is for daily wearing!

Could end up with a case full of reps and another full of seikos if not careful!

Jags

Jagsman

Mazz -ecozilla? Is that a term for the watching was looking at (SSC017P1)

andyboy

Jags

There is a nice seiko 5 in the M2M section just now

:thumbsup:

corsa

I use a Seiko SKA371 BFK, it's tough as nails, reasonably large, as others have said it has a 6 month power reserve, Brilliant lume, 200M Resistant and for me is super comfy. Up close it has a heap of detail like polished edges, and linished sides, and a real quality feel. It also comes in the usual Seiko colourways, Yellow, Orange, Black, Pepsi etc..

IMG_4498.jpg

Gbkirsch

Seikos are definitely addictive...great watches at an unbelievable price, quality and value...citizen, the same..

HeavyKrush

Just got this recently and seems to be very solid...

DSC_3337_zpsd05bf43a.jpg

Jagsman

Cheers guys loving some (all!) of these. Thanks for the link Mazz, noticed that the citizen has a five year warranty! Seems good value!

Del

WARNING: Seikos are addictive! I bought my first one in July, have since bought two more with a fourth incoming....:facepalm:

You can't go wrong though! ;)

Lars_St

Hey Jags,

Seiko's are great watches, cant go wrong with em.

I got one on sale, check it out if you're in EU :)

Lars

Mazz
WARNING: Seikos are addictive! I bought my first one in July, have since bought two more with a fourth incoming....:facepalm:

You can't go wrong though! ;)

:rofl:

Jagsman

Cheers chaps, the Citizen does look like a bit of a beast, possibly a bit too thick as it wouldn't fit under a shirt I don't think. Suspect it would get really scraped up if that was the case.

Im gonna go have a look in some jewelers tomorrow and try some on. Im in the Canary Islands just now so should be able to get duty free if I can find one I like at a price point that competes with the Internet.

And Del,that is quite an addiction you got going there, would love to see your collection by christmas if you keep going at that rate!

Jags

Cyril_Clunge

If you're anywhere near Las Americas or Los Christianos, go and have a look in the shopping arcades underneath Parque Santiago III on Av Las Americas, Loads of Seikos and you can get good deals if you haggle like mad :)

Pharmo

DSC_3337_zpsd05bf43a.jpg

HC that's looks stunning mate! Do you have a model number for it?

simey83

SNZH09K1 ??

Jagsman

Cheers Cyril I'm in lanzarote though. Will have a look tomorrow or sat

Del

And Del,that is quite an addiction you got going there, would love to see your collection by christmas if you keep going at that rate!

I dread to think...........and now I'm buying bloody straps and bracelets for them! :thud:

Jagsman

You must have a patient (or blissfully unaware) wife!

conx

DSC_3337_zpsd05bf43a.jpg

I believe that is a SNZH09

Pharmo

I believe that is a SNZH09

found it! Thanks mate.

Great size as well - damn looks like will HAVE to order this ;)