Sign in to follow this  
fenn

roles president

fenn

I want to buy a replica of the Rolex Day Date(sometimes referred to as the President) -in my opinion, still one of the classiest watches about.

Many of the dealers offer all sorts of versions, in a lot of different finishes, but the real one was only ever available in yellow./white or (rarely)rose gold, or platinum - never in "bi-metal" or stainless steel.

I want one that's got a good quality gold plating, and probably the swiss eta movement.

Most of the dealers seem to be rushing to offer the President 11 series (the 41mm one) - I guess because the current trend is for bigger watches, but I'm trying to find the best replica of the "standard" gold, fluted bezel(no diamonds) one.

I'm not looking for the cheapest one(my last purchase has been BK's Yachtmaster -certainly not cheap, but absolutely superb),but the best.,and.by definition, that's usually the dearest

Have any members any experience of purchasing this model ?- i'm going dizzy viewing all those available.and would greatly appreciate any one's advice,especially if they've already bought one.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse. KBH will be along shortly to answer your question :)

KBH

I know almost nothing about the Rolex Presidential. Since they are only made in precious metals I've always felt it was ridiculous to buy a rep of one and expect to get away with it.

Especially when you can get the DJ, which is basically the same thing as far as looks and is a watch that can be worn without raising eyebrows. I've had mixed success with gold plated reps. I've had a TT DJ that had pieces of the bracelet that lost plating when it was brand new. I also bought my wife a full gold ladies DJ and the plating has been excellent. It's lasted several years already and still looks like new. My only suggestion is to get the better Swiss Eta model and either buy from a dealer that you know will QC it for you, like Mary. Or buy it from a dealer that has an excellent return policy.

Here's some extremely lousy pictures of my wife's DJ. It was From Josh @ Perfect Clones. It looks better in real life.

DSCN2632.jpg

DSCN2635.jpg

DSCN2627.jpg

DSCN2628.jpg

DSCN2621.jpg

DSCN2629.jpg

DSCN2636.jpg

JoeyB

Most of the reps claim 5 mils of gold plating. Ofrei has their own cases and theirs are 25 mills thick. That should add some perspective.

Luthier

Fenn, email Mary ([email protected]) and ask for DD wrapped gold with Swiss ETA, and you'll get your dream watch.

fenn

Thanks for the help and info.