Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Blue FFF snzh53 mod

greg_r

I'd been wanting a Seiko FFF for some time. I originally bought an snzh57 (the one with gold highlights) with the intention of doing just that, but I liked the standard watch so much I couldn't bring myself to mod it.

So, given that I recently picked up a brand new snzh53 (the blue dial/bezel version) for cheap (£80) and Dagaz had a blue sunburst FFF dial available, I figured I'd give it a try.

As this was my first attempt, I figured I'd do the dial only. If I liked the result, I could go back and do hands, bezel and possibly caseback later.

So, this is what I started off with (not actually mine - I just grabbed this shot off the web):

snzh53.jpg

I was originally intending to do a tutorial, but there are several good tutes out there already (at least one on here and several on the gen fora - just google "FFF dial swap") so I decided I couldn't be arsed - especially as I had a tight timescale to actually do the job as I'm supposed to be working today (yes, on a Sunday!!! :frusty: )

So, I removed the bracelet and out came my trusty Jaxa caseback opener. I then left the watch in a case holder while it ran down again.

Once I had the back off, the biggest problem was removing the movement - it's quite a tight fit. I ended up using tweezers to grab the rotor right at the centre by the bearing and gently lifted the movement out.

A few moments with the hands remover tool and I had original dial and movement separated. It was at this point that I realised I was an idiot (well, to be truthful, I always knew this - but I managed to prove it again). There were two versions of the dial at Dagaz. One for movements with crown at 3 (as per this watch), the other for movements with crown at 4. I knew this going in, but somehow I STILL managed to order the wrong one. Pillock!

So, I removed the dial feet from the dial and then removed the circlip holding the daywheel in place (which I wasn't going to use anyhow given that the new dial only has a date aperture). I then used a couple of self-adhesive dial feet to hold the new dial in the correct position (fortunately other than positioning of dial feet the two versions of the dial are identical).

Hands went back on (and man, it's fiddly to get the seconds hand back in place without bending it!), movement back in case, case back on. Done deal.

The whole process - despite idiocy - still only took about an hour.

The dial is actually more purple-ish than blue (which some would say is appropriate given my vehicular tastes ;) ), but is still stunning. I kinda like the existing hands, but I think a change of bezel insert will probably be in order somewhere down the road. End result is as below (note that the pic doesn't do the dial justice - although it's purple-ish, it's actually less purple than the shot would suggest, it's also has a stunning 'sunburst' effect, which is completely lost in the photo. I'll take some better ones when I have time).

I'm currently awaiting a blue sailcloth strap from Bradystraps, so the watch is back on the bracelet for the time being. I'll post some more pics when the de-rigeur strap has arrived.

I'm tempted to do this mod again, buying a second snzh57 and going for the full black/gold dial, hands and lumed bezel package from Yobokies. For now, though, I'm very happy with the end result. I have a weakness for blue-dialed watches and I can see this getting a lot of wear.

snzh53_FFF_071013.JPG

Edited by greg_r
Replaced lame bracelet shot with quality sailcloth strap shot ;)

seclark007

What's with you and purple? :rofl:

Nice pick up and well done on the swap :clap:. The insert swap will be the icing on the cake!

S

greg_r

What's with you and purple? :rofl:

Well, I had this Audi A8 that was actually burgundy in colour, but Alphakazi insisted was purple. It all went rather downhill from there :lol:

Pharmo

Mate, thats actually stunning!!!

Must admit i have been too lazy to do the mod myself...but should give it a go!

Hazz

Well done that man, you should think about the red tipped second hand also, from Dagaz.

Foxindebox

Nice one, that looks really great. Welcome to the FFF club ;)

Jase

That looks great Greg.

Tempted to do this to my recently bought snzh57.

But I kinda like it as it is too, so that would mean buying another to do it.

Oh hell, it's a slippery slope :help3:

Ianp

Looks great. I've just ordered the same dial and Brady strap. My only problems that now I have to buy some tools so I can tackle this.

dalboy

Looks very nice ..

Good job well done....in only 1 hour !! now get back to work. ..slacker !! :giggle:

Sakurai

Great stuff, I have the same incoming from Dagaz.

Looks great!

solkryssare

Looks great.

I hate attaching seconds hands.....

fatarms

I just realized that Yobokies is Seikoboy spelled backwards. :lol:

sconehead

G...you actually took a watch to bits? :o

...bravo mate!!!

dunkster

Greg, I love this. The FFF is my all time fav and in blue its a must for me at a later date when i have ordered the tool kit from RWG. :giggle: New, as you well know but i am determined to build a FFF for myself. Recently i have ordered a few Seiko's from Ebay, i really like what they are doing, i think i will end up chasing a blue dial and having a go. PLEASE post the pic with the Brady strap as i am a firm believer in the strap been just as important as the watch when it comes to the look.

Great stuff.

HeavyKrush

Future RWG modder. Love it!

greg_r

Greg, I love this. The FFF is my all time fav and in blue its a must for me at a later date when i have ordered the tool kit from RWG. :giggle: New, as you well know but i am determined to build a FFF for myself. Recently i have ordered a few Seiko's from Ebay, i really like what they are doing, i think i will end up chasing a blue dial and having a go. PLEASE post the pic with the Brady strap as i am a firm believer in the strap been just as important as the watch when it comes to the look.

Great stuff.

Yup - photos with Brady strap will be posted as soon as it gets here - only ordered it end of last week, though, so it might be a few days yet. :)

In the meantime here's my unmodded '57 on brady sailcloth...

snzh57_cloth_020913.JPG

Del

Very well done - looks great! :thumbsup2:

fatarms

Will a blue Brady sailcloth work with the fat springbars on the monsters? I was wondering if it would work with the SRP455 anniversary model...

What I mean is will the fat springbars fit through the sailcloth? Brady's site says that the straps have some quick release springbar system, I noticed that regular spiringbars actually aren't thick enough and slip through the lugs. Does anyone have any experience with sailcloths on monsters?

greg_r

Will a blue Brady sailcloth work with the fat springbars on the monsters? I was wondering if it would work with the SRP455 anniversary model...

What I mean is will the fat springbars fit through the sailcloth? Brady's site says that the straps have some quick release springbar system, I noticed that regular spiringbars actually aren't thick enough and slip through the lugs. Does anyone have any experience with sailcloths on monsters?

The brady springbars are fixed into the strap so should, in theory, stay in place with a monster. Personally, though, I'd be inclined to go for something else.

The snzh models as per this thread use regular springbars - not the the version found on the monsters.

fatarms

Thanks, greg. I did some searching around and found someone who had put a sailcloth from brady on a monster and said it rattles around. I'll find something else :)

greg_r
G...you actually took a watch to bits? :o

...bravo mate!!!

Lol -only just saw this. Not the first time, mate ;)

trailboss99

Monkeys, can't live with 'em and, . . . . . . well, that's it really.

ShovelnTC

Looks great, I still haven't done the red tip to the sweep hand and I have been poncing around and still haven't ordered the Brady but it looks so good on yours I'll get to it.

greg_r

The sailcloth strap finally showed up - quick phone pic for now... :wub:

FFF_Blue_sailcloth.JPG

Ianp

Looks great. Congrats.