Sign in to follow this  
captaincaveman

10:10 Watches Platinum Mod for Ceramic Inserts

captaincaveman

Anyone else use Chris for this mod? Apparently he can coat the insert engravings with platinum dust and then applies a clear coat on top. Looks promising and possibly more gen-like than the popular Pillworx mod. But would like to see other results besides a single macro shot to evaluate how closely this reps the gen insert. I posted in the original thread from 10:10's section but didn't get a response there so figure I'd try here.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=39351

"Why don't Rolex ceramic inserts look right?

It's the platinum. Gen inserts have a PVD coating of platinum dust that is polished away except for in the cutouts, rep inserts have white or grey paint which looks nothing like the platinum, especially in the sunlight when the platinum shines. The solution? Finish the rep inserts with platinum dust held in a clear binder."

johnnyjazz

I did this before on a friends bezel. Paint in the numerals with gold size get one that goes off in 30mins, after about 15mins remove excess with a flat piece of wood moistened in turps, 15mins later gild the numerals with platinum or white gold leaf, press the leaf in with your finger or cotton wool, you can continually press in as much gold as you wish, you have to use transfer leaf not loose leaf, will have to buy a book of 25 leaves but you will only use 1 leaf. Clean up surrounding area with a toothpick. The real McCoy not powder and does not need a top coat. Hope this helps.

live1

but does it look like the gen

captaincaveman
I did this before on a friends bezel. Paint in the numerals with gold size get one that goes off in 30mins, after about 15mins remove excess with a flat piece of wood moistened in turps, 15mins later gild the numerals with platinum or white gold leaf, press the leaf in with your finger or cotton wool, you can continually press in as much gold as you wish, you have to use transfer leaf not loose leaf, will have to buy a book of 25 leaves but you will only use 1 leaf. Clean up surrounding area with a toothpick. The real McCoy not powder and does not need a top coat. Hope this helps.

Got any pics? That sounds really good but wonder how it looks in the metal.

DC109

Looks pretty great, but I wonder how durable the clear coat is. Seems like one advantage of the Pillworx paint job is that it's relatively easy and inexpensive, so if it wears off, no big deal.

captaincaveman

Looks pretty great, but I wonder how durable the clear coat is. Seems like one advantage of the Pillworx paint job is that it's relatively easy and inexpensive, so if it wears off, no big deal.

I think it is still worth a try if there is any chance it is more gen. Ive a spare insert so if the worse happens I could always pppm it and install it.

captaincaveman

I want Chris to relume my bp and do his plat coating mod. Will report back the results and let you all know how it turns out. Judging by his feedback I'm sure it will at least match and most likely exceed the pppm in terms of repping the gen plat pvd effect.