Sign in to follow this  
James.

Samsung watch; game changer?

James.

http://reviews.cnet....ng-galaxy-gear/

Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-6-colors-side-640x361.jpg

Opinions on its impact on the watch industry? Could this be similar to the qtz domination of the 70-80's?

Or just a flash in the pan?

I'm of the opinion that due to ecosystem design, the young'uns who buy one and wear one, will more likely choose this over a standard mechanical watch. Samsung's marketing will play a MASSIVE roll, if they start getting various celebs and successful sports people on these, I see a real big issue looming for the lower end of the watch market. Especially once Nokia and Apple launch their incarnations.

Discuss.

Del Boy

One day battery and you need to carry the dock around with you cos no micro-usb port.

I'm sure they will take off especially with wireless charging, but for me... just a cheap gimmick.

Wriggles

Flash in the pan. Smart watches have been tried before.

Admittedly with Samsung and Apple pushing these heavily there will be greater impact this time around, but I certainly don't see them becoming a substitute for actual time-pieces, at least not in the segment of the market that would adopt these, that market segment would generally not be watch wearing as they would predominantly use their phones/devices for timekeeping anyway.

Of the young'uns that may be attracted by these I don't think it will impact heavily on the lower end watch market, they use watches as accessories, much the same as they would use one of the "smart" watches. Their watches are chosen to suit what they wear and many would have a number of cheap fashion pieces to go with different outfits. At least in the circles I move in that's what the younger folk do. Different cultures of course will operate differently.

These will just be another accessory

The quartz domination was pretty much widespread, and brought watch ownership to affordable levels for all. I can't see this being the same.

Time will tell. As said, the marketing push behind these and the adoption rate among the target markets will determine how much of a penetration they make into other market segments

deathnote

Meh... smart watches suck. I would probably make fun of anyone over 15 wearing one. Precisely what can a smart watch do that you smart phone can't ?

Mechwarrior

another device to charge every day.......... :giggle:

gran

http://reviews.cnet....ng-galaxy-gear/

Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-6-colors-side-640x361.jpg

Opinions on its impact on the watch industry? Could this be similar to the qtz domination of the 70-80's?

Or just a flash in the pan?

I'm of the opinion that due to ecosystem design, the young'uns who buy one and wear one, will more likely choose this over a standard mechanical watch. Samsung's marketing will play a MASSIVE roll, if they start getting various celebs and successful sports people on these, I see a real big issue looming for the lower end of the watch market. Especially once Nokia and Apple launch their incarnations.

Discuss.

If Apple makes one, the "quartz" watch industry will be in trouble (the end of G-shock?)

TheTinMan

Could you imagine wearing this with a suit and tie? Probably not. The kids may wear these in select situations, but I doubt they'd wear these to play sports for example. No way I'd want something else to have to charge every night.

They'll be a cool novelty and maybe a status symbol for a while, but I doubt they'll have a long term impact on the watch industry. I could be wrong - there's a first time for everything, right?

James.

I remember hearing similar sentiments when the iPod and iPhone came out :popcorn:

R5tdi

For me it's a novelty but when apple step in for sure the lower end quartz might suffer but until they make a smart watch that looks as good as my SOH the NFW

328e7144acd0062478c1dbda6230db45.jpg

TheTinMan

Hey R5tdi, I just drooled in my mouth - no joke. Where did you find that beauty? Is it new? I've been looking for a decent auto rep of this watch. All I can find are quartz.

gran

Edited by gran

Wriggles

Hey R5tdi, I just drooled in my mouth - no joke. Where did you find that beauty? Is it new? I've been looking for a decent auto rep of this watch. All I can find are quartz.

I think you'll find that's not a rep, it's a gen....

R5tdi

Ah sorry its a gen got it from local AD but nice discount 28%

I gave up trying to find a rep ;)

RichardMiami

all this new fangled crap.......... it will never catch on!

:brightlight:

gran

Ah sorry its a gen got it from local AD but nice discount 28%

I gave up trying to find a rep ;)

good thinking!!!

Black Diamond

These will be huge, I can assure you this is the future of smart devices...

arancini

A game changer if you're 10 years old and still enjoy Nintendo in-between comic books.

Baronrouge

Already been done and 2 lads at work have it already,,,pretty slick

http://getpebble.com/

TheSav

Ghey!

Gbkirsch

Boorrring!!!

Jose Betancur

1- could be a game changer that, commercially speaking, force the watch brands to step out from the overpriced-hype and start offering great watches with affordable prices?

2- nothing happens. Another irrelevant product.

dave1978

can we get this thread deleted,,,them ugly stupid bastard watches should never appear on these pages

Edited by dave1978

moredhel

Smart watches will be a fad for awhile unless the industry players up their tech and power offerings to dizzying levels.

Like what deathnote said, what can you do on the watch that you can't do on the phone? The GUI is limited to the largest watches of today, 50mm gasp! And there can only be

so much info display and only that much squinting one can do before deciding to chuck it into the drawer. Limited growth potential unless Samsung/Apple comes out with floating holographic displays and lithium-solar-reactor batteries small enough to fit in that 50mm case.

For me, the thing to look out for is the google glasses. Optical variance is virtually limitless and likely draw a whole lot less power due to the close proximity to the eyes. Then you have dual panes that can also double up as solar panels. No idea though where they would store that power.

Ilikewaches

I'm going to deliver a viscous neck punch to the first person I see talking to their watch.

trailboss99

Meah, one more Smart Watch.

As mentioned above the game changer (if there is one) will be iWatch