Sign in to follow this  
nev848

Popped in to Mallory's in Bath today.

nev848

Well I decided to track down a nice leather strap for my Omega today and ended up in Mallory's in Bath. Well as they had a window display of £50k plus Patek's and some common old Rolex's I thought this is the place.

I finally got past the doorman who looked at me like I had shagged his pet dog and I was shown to the watch section. Wow kid in a candy store. Well the assistant spotted my Omega Moon even though this was like having a Swatch on my wrist it did make him more friendly.

After he realised my passion for watches he asked me if I would like to see anything in the displays. Well does the Pope shit in the Vatican. So in to the Panerai case we went. Tried on a gorgeous blue faced Daylight but the star of the day was the PAM 372 absolutely bloody stunning and that P3000 movement is beyond belief.

It just shouted quality and the finish and weight was beyond any rep I have seen or owned.

So I am afraid to say all you PAM rep fans out there please do not test drive any gen PAM's as your search for your holy grail may become a lot longer.... And I mean Much much longer.

midasmook

I agree the 372 is lovely as is the movement but take in a 111 or even a 088 and compare them, the only difference is the price.

Bash64

True that. I stopped by Selfridge's in London while on vacation. Big mistake. I can't get the 288 out of my mind.

SSTEEL

Thanks for sharing your visit experience. Yet to pop my PAM cherry, but will venture into PAMness with a 111.

TheTinMan

Does the Pope shit in the Vatican? :rofl:

I'll be using that line later today. Thanks!!

nev848
Does the Pope shit in the Vatican? :rofl:

I'll be using that line later today. Thanks!!

My pleasure.. Glad I could help :)

dalboy

Nev..

just tell me one thing..

Whats the name of his dog.. :giggle:

Dal.

nev848

Well I bet its not Luth... :)

6436d46d1f1b2adcffe00c8ede041dd7_zps278b9406.jpg

PAB

I had the same look from the same doorman! Sad as you like but I paid a visit when my 111 was on its way.

This place is Watch heaven!

We finished the day off with a ruby in Rajpoot about 10 doors down :drool:

nev848
I had the same look from the same doorman! Sad as you like but I paid a visit when my 111 was on its way.

Yes have some amazing watches but they do make you feel a little uneasy even though I had my Gen Omega on. Bath is a wonderful place we spent the week there in a beautiful cottage.

NFleischer

I have to say even the 111's seem a bit different in the flesh. I think we get fooled by the 1:1 hype and comparison pictures.

Still they look damn good, especially for the money.

nev848

I agree. I tried on a Gen SOH 46 on mesh yesterday and there is no comparison even to the V2 rep.

I have had a 111 V3 and even though it's a great watch once you get the Gen on your wrist there is no comparison.

greg_r

I agree. I tried on a Gen SOH 46 on mesh yesterday and there is no comparison even to the V2 rep.

Yes, but 80% of that difference is down to the bracelet so long as you've got a Swiss movement in the V2. Do the comparison with the OR band and its MUCH closer ;)

A well-heeled friend has several gen Panerai. To get the rep to convince, the first trick is to get the strap right - doesn't have to be gen, but has to feel like quality without being one of these inch-thick lumps of cow that some folk seem to prefer... :Whistle:

Having said that, the other real tell is the feel of the watch as you're winding it or setting the time - the asian movements just don't quite feel right...

nev848

Totally agree Greg on the straps. Had a Gen Alligator on my 192 and it was transformed. Also have a Gen Leather on my Abyss and once again it does seem to lift the watch.

Maybe it's a mind trick but the SOH even on rubber as my V2 (with Swiss movement) is just seems to be on another level. The Gen mesh is a must in my mind, what a joy of a strap and in my opinion is the only one for the watch.

So my next purchase has to be the SOH 46 on mesh. :)

Steve227

Yes have some amazing watches but they do make you feel a little uneasy even though I had my Gen Omega on. Bath is a wonderful place we spent the week there in a beautiful cottage.

Ah, I was about to ask if you lived in Bath as that would make us neighbors.

Libertatia

Trying on watches at an AD even with no intention to buy, does make me a little bit wet.

narikaa

Similar incident in another lifetime

CQP for a few ancillary sheikas to the Qatar Royal Family

& another godless days shopping in London, hours of prep, fleet of diplo plated cars (I did like that Phantom 6, fully civilized with gun ports, no OK corral in the rain for narikaa ;))

Off at the last minute to Garrards

M/Cycle advance radioed in all quite, park in convoy on the center line & fuck the traffic wardens (it all comes back to me why I liked that job ;)) As all quite let the good ladies have free run

Same supercilious BS from their doorman - who had not even the wit to have seen an eclipse of daylight by the armada of vehicles. He got onto it looooong after the principles had been in the premises and saw his role in the world as to eject them as snootily as possible .

To paint a picture these three daughters of the desert were way back then sponking half a mill £GBP in cash every three days (I know as I had to do the protection on the bank runs) and could had the desire dawned on them had the entire contents of Garrards bought paid for and shipped there and then.

Anyhoo back to Johnny frockcoat - I was in the mouth of their doorway as he opened it and shoo'd the gals out, there they were immediately surrounded and ushered straight into the P6, as the dopey wage jockey stood with his mouth open I whispered in his shell like.... 'I think thats what you call a career decision'

Why oh why is it that a monkey that has some function in the sale of expensive items somehow deludes himself into ignoring the indelible fact that he's a mere wage jockey and is not and never can be sitting on the other side of that desk or whatever.

Dendo

Yes, but 80% of that difference is down to the bracelet so long as you've got a Swiss movement in the V2. Do the comparison with the OR band and its MUCH closer ;)

A well-heeled friend has several gen Panerai. To get the rep to convince, the first trick is to get the strap right - doesn't have to be gen, but has to feel like quality without being one of these inch-thick lumps of cow that some folk seem to prefer... :Whistle:

Having said that, the other real tell is the feel of the watch as you're winding it or setting the time - the asian movements just don't quite feel right...

+100

Dendo

Similar incident in another lifetime

CQP for a few ancillary sheikas to the Qatar Royal Family

& another godless days shopping in London, hours of prep, fleet of diplo plated cars (I did like that Phantom 6, fully civilized with gun ports, no OK corral in the rain for narikaa ;))

Off at the last minute to Garrards

M/Cycle advance radioed in all quite, park in convoy on the center line & fuck the traffic wardens (it all comes back to me why I liked that job ;)) As all quite let the good ladies have free run

Same supercilious BS from their doorman - who had not even the wit to have seen an eclipse of daylight by the armada of vehicles. He got onto it looooong after the principles had been in the premises and saw his role in the world as to eject them as snootily as possible .

To paint a picture these three daughters of the desert were way back then sponking half a mill £GBP in cash every three days (I know as I had to do the protection on the bank runs) and could had the desire dawned on them had the entire contents of Garrards bought paid for and shipped there and then.

Anyhoo back to Johnny frockcoat - I was in the mouth of their doorway as he opened it and shoo'd the gals out, there they were immediately surrounded and ushered straight into the P6, as the dopey wage jockey stood with his mouth open I whispered in his shell like.... 'I think thats what you call a career decision'

Why oh why is it that a monkey that has some function in the sale of expensive items somehow deludes himself into ignoring the indelible fact that he's a mere wage jockey and is not and never can be sitting on the other side of that desk or whatever.

Exactly - and nice to see you back and on form Reg.

narikaa

Well I bet its not Luth... :)

6436d46d1f1b2adcffe00c8ede041dd7_zps278b9406.jpg

What the heck

put me down for £50 e. w. that it is

;)