Sign in to follow this  
sci2

Skyland Avenger Blacksteel - pics, lots.

sci2

Hey all, first 'review' here. I received this rugged hunk of metal from WatchInternational after lusting over it for a couple of weeks. I had very much wanted it on the bracelet, which I knew wasn't gen, but it should be! It arrived quickly on the standard rubber strap, which is annoying and too big for my wrist, so off it came in favor of a 2 piece olive zulu.

IMGP2577.jpg

The dial is very nice. Font and text very crisp and even. The subdials have the proper half patterened vertical lines and the block numerals look great.

IMGP2578.jpg

The crown is nice and beefy and despite the fear I had of the tube stripping - the first couple of times I unscrewed it to change the time, etc, the threads seemed a bit rough, but they've smoothed out now and it screws down nicely in probably two full turns.

IMGP2580.jpg

IMGP2581.jpg

The caseback is nicely and deeply engraved. Very sharp and accurate. The serial number is really the only give away as it is seemingly etched a bit shallow, but still looks pretty good.

IMGP2582.jpg

IMGP2583.jpg

IMGP2584.jpg

IMGP2585.jpg

The chrono works perfectly and solidly. Resets to zero nicely. The second hand is very slightly off vertical when at zero. Half a millimeter perhaps. Enough to drive me crazy and I will more than likely fix it.

IMGP2587.jpg

AR is double coated and has a blue/purple hue to it at the right angle. This is pretty accurate to the original. I actually like seeing the AR color on a watch. Just seems to add something.

IMGP2589.jpg

I've got huge 6.5 inch wrists, but like the way this wears on me. 45mm isn't too big, but I was worried about the thickness. With a regular NATO I might be pushing it, hence the 2 piece.

IMGP2590.jpg

The devil is in the details.

[url=

The A7750 movement upon inspection looks very clean with some perling and geneva stripes. No other clone markings (surprisingly). I already had it out of the case and everything is milled nicely. I am impressed with the movement holder being a nice, solid CNC milled chunk of SS. Out of the box, it was running about 15 seconds/day slow. I bumped it forward a bit and it's running about -5 now. I'll give it another tick forward and see if I can get it closer or a little on the + side.

IMGP2591.jpg

Most definitely.

IMGP2592.jpg

IMGP2593.jpg

IMGP2595.jpg

IMGP2612.jpg

Lume is frankly crap. Worse than I was expecting. I know even the gens aren't great, but I think I'll get this one redone regardless. This pic is charitable.

I'd definitely recommend this beast if you're in the market for a rugged, mean tool watch that gets a lot of looks. It's going to be staying strapped on my wrist for a while. Thanks for looking!

Damian

core

Looks awesome! Thanks for the review and pics of the movement.

sci2

Thanks!

Sakurai

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing and congratulations on a cool watch!

gravedigger

Exact same as mine :D , just I got leather strap from ebay (rubber one is horrible )

Great watch congrats.

Corv99

Nice review mate, thanks for sharing..

How is the weight? Sometimes the PVD products feel a bit light, I like a bit of weight to a watch!

I have the grey dial version of this,in SS .. And weight is perfect..

All breitling need to do now is put on a winged logo badge instead of painting it and I will be happy! :lol:

simey83

Amazing on that strap! Congrats.

Wrist-Time

Great review & pics. Me like

sci2

How is the weight? Sometimes the PVD products feel a bit light, I like a bit of weight to a watch!

All breitling need to do now is put on a winged logo badge instead of painting it and I will be happy! :lol:

Thanks! It's HEAVY. It's just coated SS, so its as dense as your Avenger. The coating seems quite durable too. I do want to get the bezel off and give it a good cleaning because I think there's grease on it here or there, but I'm worried about marring the DLC. Have to figure out the right tool for the job I guess.

<RJ>

I was torn between this one and a Sinn u1000. Since ive had so many breits i chose the sinn this time. Now i know i wont be disappointed when i get this one aswell :P

Cynikal.Mindset

Thanks! It's HEAVY. It's just coated SS, so its as dense as your Avenger. The coating seems quite durable too. I do want to get the bezel off and give it a good cleaning because I think there's grease on it here or there, but I'm worried about marring the DLC. Have to figure out the right tool for the job I guess.

DO NOT DARE TO REMOVE THE BEZEL...unless you want to damage the shit out of your watch...TRUST ME!

if the bezel doesn't come of while pulling and turning its not gonna come off without fucking shit up

Chairman7w

Wow!! That's fantastic looking on that strap. This has now jumped very high on my wishlist (it was already on it).

LoL'd at your comment about your wrists. I too am infected with that. But I think it looks great on you, you've given me confidence to order one.

Well done, well written, and well imaged!

sci2

DO NOT DARE TO REMOVE THE BEZEL...unless you want to damage the shit out of your watch...TRUST ME!

if the bezel doesn't come of while pulling and turning its not gonna come off without fucking shit up

:lol: Duly noted. I'll do my best cleaning it in situ with some q-tips and such. I don't want to get things TOO wet. It's supposed to be at least marginally water resistant, and in having it disassembled, everything is surprisingly well gasketed (even the chrono pushers). I still won't trust it until it's been tested.

sci2

Wow!! That's fantastic looking on that strap. This has now jumped very high on my wishlist (it was already on it).

LoL'd at your comment about your wrists. I too am infected with that. But I think it looks great on you, you've given me confidence to order one.

Well done, well written, and well imaged!

Thanks! That pic makes my wrist looks very small actually. I'm kind of a gym rat, so I balance it out. It doesn't wear all that big on me. I can't wear a crazy giant Russian diver, but this is all well and good.

gravedigger

Mine says hello :B):

DSC01440.JPG

ag69

Picked one up on M2M last month. Great watch but the strap is crap and smells like vanilla!! Looking to put a carbon fiber strap with a deployment buckle on it.

mostling

Might work better with a deployant buckle.

exlgh91

Love the look, I've always adored this version of the SAB, but the thing is too big for my wrist...

Thus, been working towards swollen wrist just so I can pull this off..

replicastuff

wow beauty

jackcfk

sci2, can you pls share where you got that 2pc olive zulu...it looks great!!

emtp101

That is very nice, not to crazy about the strap though.

Pringles

Nice review

rusty peters

Time to spill the beans on your strap source! I have the same size wrist as you and I have the same watch on order too. I am hoping the straps are not all too big. I have a Noob factory V3 on the way and I kind of like the "Hershey" strap. Assuming it doesn't work, I want another strap option and I like yours the best. Does the strap taper from 22 to 20mm?

Bonetto Cinturini makes a rubber straop that could accept the buckle and would look at home on that watch. I think it is the 317 model. I will go that way if need to.

Good call on the 2 piece NATO. The big bubble case back makes Breitlings wear horribly on a normal Zulu or NATO.