Sign in to follow this  
Corv99

Lets see your Big Pilots then...

Corv99

Hi all

I think I need to have one of these bad boys in my collection.. But want a decent one, I had a cheapy and actually liked it, I gave to my brother for Xmas 2 years back and he loves it..

But think I need a nice version.. I'm not an expert on these, and have had a look on various forums,

Basically think I'm after

a 5004 or 02

Seems to be that the fixed power reserve is way to go , is this for movement reliability ?

I like the version with the triangle and rectangle markers stuck on, rather than painted if that makes sense..

Date wheel sorted as really sunken ones, due to window being small look a bit rough..

Sunburst grey dial seems nice.. But little undecided still

After a keeper for this a reckon, so want to get it right, maybe look afor aftermarket or gen strap

But open to see what you guys have got, or other suggestions, maybe I've missed some awesome version that's out there.. Not sure if there are different factory versions etc but this is a classic watch for me and think I need to get it in the box..

Cheers!

Wriggles

Seems to be that the fixed power reserve is way to go , is this for movement reliability ?

Interesting, these are something I've been interested in but size concerns me as I think just a tad too big for me. Will be following the responses with interest.

AFAIK the ones with faux power reserve are considered better because the date wheel isn't sunken, the working power reserves are the ones with a sunken date wheel.

Outside of that I just think they look great, particularly the sunburst grey dial model

TheTinMan

Maybe not what you had in mind as it is sterile, but this one clocks in at 47mm, it's hand wound asian, and goes for 48 hours (easily) after a full wind:

9799099184_c2e4d4e1c0_z.jpg

I love that watch!

Corv99

Thanks guys,

Interesting on sunken date wheel .. Maybe that's whats meant by reliability .. Fixed PR doesn't bother me..

greg_r

I had the version with working PR, but the quick date set pusher at 7 was so bloody fiddly, I only wore the thing once a month, so got rid of it. Loved the look of it, though...

For me, the faux PR version is equally flawed, so I'm seriously thinking of buying a Steinhart (or the like) homage instead...

Corv99

Thanks greg... Any photos

It seems, PR issue aside it's very accurate rep,

and on the gen a few turns would boost the indicator to full .. So visually wouldn't really stand out.

Also there's a line next to word days that shouldn't be there, so a simple mod is to move the pointer to cover it..

It is a classic design though, I I think with a gen strap or hktan etc it will be up there, and good value for money.

Shame I seem to remember the late Robert rip.. Had a good version for a steal..

Is there a preferred movement for these? Again not massively family, think they are all auto

Waipio Jeff

Faux PR also has more correct PR subdial placement.

greg_r

Thanks greg... Any photos

It seems, PR issue aside it's very accurate rep,

and on the gen a few turns would boost the indicator to full .. So visually wouldn't really stand out.

Also there's a line next to word days that shouldn't be there, so a simple mod is to move the pointer to cover it..

It is a classic design though, I I think with a gen strap or hktan etc it will be up there, and good value for money.

Shame I seem to remember the late Robert rip.. Had a good version for a steal..

Is there a preferred movement for these? Again not massively family, think they are all auto

iwcbp-090811.JPG

Mine was originally from Robert. Grey dial, Sea-Gull movement. Reliable, kept good time. It was just that damned date pusher that made me lose the will to live every time I tried to set the thing...

Corv99
Faux PR also has more correct PR subdial placement.

Does it?

OK thanks for that..

1littlegreen

Here's Starshine's 5004-2. It has the working PR and 23j Greg talks about. She loves it, and yes the date-set is a tear-inducer. I have only had to use it once. Any other time, it has been close enough to roll it over using the crown. She loves it. Hope this helps.

IMG_0122_zpsd7d4bcef.jpg

Corv99

Yes that's nice, like the grey dial, brown strap combo too..

torobravo

I can´t wait for the ceramic ones

baxter

had a cheapie with working PR and then got the better version ...... and it was better !! here's a couple of snaps on orloff croc and on wotancraft sw300

IMG_2923_zpsd6f041b2.jpg

IMG_1665_zps5318cc53.jpg

I don't have it any more but looking at these pics i may get another

Corv99
I can´t wait for the ceramic ones

Ceramic ones due out Toro?

Corv99
had a cheapie with working PR and then got the better version ...... and it was better !! here's a couple of snaps on orloff croc and on wotancraft sw300

:rofl:

Yes come and join me Jez!

So marked difference from cheapy?

Bighands

this was on my "want" list for a while, finally picked it up in M2M a couple of months ago. platinum dial, "fixed" faux power reserve to cover the DAYS"I" flaw, and no recessed date. really love this one...getting some good wrist time

IMAG1557_1_1_1.jpg

IMAG1559.jpg

IMAG1561.jpg

Corv99

That's awesome mate, yes to all the points you mention!

What strap is that? Looks like snake skin or similar , looks great..

That model is just like the one I want to get... Is it a V1 25j super lume job by?

My quest is taken a bad turn, I chatting with somebody ref one similar packaged with gen dial, hands , strap etc etc.. Parts not fitted! Sigh!!

Need to step away , need to learn ... Out of range.. Must repeat over and over :lol:

JaeRSr.

Only one way to go on this one (at least for me).

Big pilot 5004-01, latest superlume version, on a peterstraps brown gator. Movement is +/-7 secs. Trusty was the dealer. DASI mod done.

te8a8y6e.jpgCan only be better by having VAC re-lume the dial. Stunning watch and to this day my favorite and most worn in my collection!

JaeRSr.

I tried the 5004-02 (grey sunburst dial first). Here were my issues:

1. The gen is white gold so the metal is a different color. The metal on rep is not made to look like that of the gen.

2. There are two dial color versions of this rep! One has the dark gray sunburst, the other has an almost bronze texture. I got the later version and was very unhappy as a result. Check carefully before buying.

Your safest bet is to go with the black dial, do the DASYSI mod, and replace the band.

Hope it helps.

baxter

:rofl:

Yes come and join me Jez!

So marked difference from cheapy?

yes a marked difference mate !!! ..................... and i may join you ............ again :facepalm:

HarleyMo

Here's mine from Reg

101_0462.jpg

JaeRSr.

One last warning about the gray sunburst dial 5004-02. I'm sure everyone has noticed that this version has raised metal hour markers with Lume stickers in the middle of each marker. Be sure that the Lume stickers are applied correctly. Make sure in your QC checks that the Lume stickers are not crooked! Its a VERY common issue and can be seen on most macro shots of the 5004-02 rep.

FYI, the black dial 5004-01 also has raised hour markers and it really does make the watch look amazing. After owning both versions I ended up keeping the 5004-01. Its that good.

Again, hope it helps!

Corv99
One last warning about the gray sunburst dial 5004-02. I'm sure everyone has noticed that this version has raised metal hour markers with Lume stickers in the middle of each marker. Be sure that the Lume stickers are applied correctly. Make sure in your QC checks that the Lume stickers are not crooked! Its a VERY common issue and can be seen on most macro shots of the 5004-02 rep.

FYI, the black dial 5004-01 also has raised hour markers and it really does make the watch look amazing. After owning both versions I ended up keeping the 5004-01. Its that good.

Again, hope it helps!

Yes great help mate thanks a lot.... I did notice what your saying on raised lume markers and crooked positioning... The raised bits are an appeal for me..

I'm being tempted currently on a package with gen 5002 dial , date wheel and hktan strap!! Very tempting.. But need to think more on it..

JaeRSr.

I'm not sure the 5002 has the raised hour markers. Certainly will be the most accurate with a gen dial.

Bottom line though will be price. I'm into my 5004 at around $484 (Watch+band). If the 5002 is within a reasonable amount of what I paid I'd say get the 5002, especially if you don't like working on watches. If its a few hundred more I'd certainly go with the 5004 + upgrades lol.