Sign in to follow this  
markeym3

OBRIS MORGAN , small review and pic's

markeym3

Hi Folks , You know how it is , looking around the threads on RWG and someone brings your attention to a new watch and before you know it you are shelling out more ££'s on another bloody watch ,, arrrgh this hobby is so addictive.

So the watch in question is of course the Obris Morgan Explorer , I know this has had a few pics and write ups already (apologies) just wanted to add a bit too it.

Overall very pleased with the watch,the service from OM was good with good tracking details , the watch came in a Pelican box , starting to collect these as my Korsbek used the same , and well overall packaging was good.

I opted for the black bezel,black dial and brushed finish , I know boring when there were other options such as blue bezel/dial and shot blasted case , but I like this combo.

A quick pick to start with ...

20130925_142952_zps807ba641.jpg

The overall appearance is good and not too thick so wears very similar to a Planet Ocean ...

20130925_143040_zps33917f15.jpg

The operation of the bezel is very good , a nice clean positive click and no up/down/crossway play ...

8cdc477c-514d-4a01-bfb9-b6636d8cd2ee_zps36d3c5eb.jpg

The amount of links you get with the watch is very good , I have an 8" wrist and most watches go straight on without the need to remove any links , with this one I had to remove 3 links .

I was a bit worried that although the bracelet looked good in the pic's on the web site I hoped that the clasp wasn't too cheap , I'm not a big fan of the "pressed steel" clasps and even less so when you open them up and see two flat pieces of steel ,,

this was different although it had the pressed steel clasp ....

20130925_143213_zpsc8b9ba03.jpg

the inside was very nice indeed ....

20130925_143247_zpsdea611af.jpg

The quality of the finish , in my case brushed is good , seems even and consistant ...

20130925_143359_zpsaeab7041.jpg

20130925_143520_zpsc7990993.jpg

The movement is a Miyota 9015 and runs as sweeet as ,, the dial and lume looks good , although after a quick charge seemed a little dim , I will look again later.

So overall very pleased for the money it's even better ,

20130925_143441_zps79ccd0a2.jpg

Just thought I would post the weight ,, using my highly accurate certified scales :giggle:

20130925_174108_zps6540b1e7.jpg

Cheers guys ..

TheTinMan

I believe the movement is in fact a Miyota 9015 and not an ETA. Can you clarify please?

imacwalker

Damn, thats nice..

may be putting in an order my self for the blasted finish version....and im broke

Edited by imacwalker

KarmaToBurn
I believe the movement is in fact a Miyota 9015 and not an ETA. Can you clarify please?

It's a 9015. They aren't available with an ETA?

Looks great! I prefer the black to the blue on this model. Thanks for the review/pictures!

markeym3

Thanks for putting me right ,, I was confused with my Korsbek ,,, doh :thumbsup2:

TheTinMan

No problem. Beautiful watch by the way. I'm holding out for the Pradata only because it will be slightly larger (although it seems they shrunk the case down since last time I checked).

Good watches for the price from everywhere I've read.

sci2

Nice looking watch. Your pictures are better than theirs since you can actually, you know, see the whole watch in one photo. Reminds me a bit of the Marathon SAR and I like the Miyota high beat movement actually. Should be bulletproof and the price is right. Thanks!

markeym3

No problem. Beautiful watch by the way. I'm holding out for the Pradata only because it will be slightly larger (although it seems they shrunk the case down since last time I checked).

Good watches for the price from everywhere I've read.

I am also interested in the pradata but my korsbek is very similar in size and looks as far as i can tell ,so I will wait and see , the explorer wears a bit bigger , seems to feel bigger than a 42mm ,

mellons

super piece

just out of the box today!!! excuse fuzzy iphone pics....

photo4_zps53c0dffc.jpg

photo3_zps0ed3e997.jpg

photo2_zpse4a80c35.jpg

markeym3

Looking good Mellons , looking good , the strap is actually quite good quality ...

nev848

Yep mine turned up today. Same as yours black face and brushed steel. Rubber strap is not the best but I love the look of the SS strap and the quality is excellent.

This was a bargain buy in my eyes.

NFleischer

Looking good guys. Only concern is if it's too heavy. I have a black one incoming as well.

Can't beat it for price.

James.

Nice write up :thumbsup: be careful with the lug screw bar, though, make sure yours are nice and tight before you lose one!

Ren

What a beautiful review. You clearly took your time. :)

NFleischer

I just received mine, it says blasted finish on the box but looks like the OP pix. I'll take a wristie tomorrow.

First impressions; really solid, heavy duty watch. It had a few sharp edges on the bracelet which I sanded down- no biggie.

Looks a little like a poor mans ND Sub or Tudor. Again - to rephrase Balad, hard to imagine how they make a Gen like this for $279 with box, papers and

a rubber strap thrown in! I realize its probably made at the Noob factory in GZ, but still it's getting harder to justify these $400-500 reps with crappy mov'ts.

I must have at least 5 low price (under $700) Gens now, some with Gen ETAs. This and the Seikos are ridiculously good watches for under $300.DSCN0302_zps6954d9cd.jpg

mellons

There may be minor quibbles but this really sets the bar for value for money

The miyota is keeping great time on mine

I have been wearing a mille metri 24/7 so was worried about the size of this- it wears bigger than stated size which is perfect

I have had it on a sharkie which is very comfortable

Bracelet looks good and adds a nice heft also

markeym3

There may be minor quibbles but this really sets the bar for value for money

The miyota is keeping great time on mine

I have been wearing a mille metri 24/7 so was worried about the size of this- it wears bigger than stated size which is perfect

I have had it on a sharkie which is very comfortable

Bracelet looks good and adds a nice heft also

I agree with you , this really is a well put together watch , went to put mine on today and when I opened the box it just looked great , nothing cheap about this and as you say it wears and feels bigger than a 42mm which is good ..

scorpion

I didn't like the look of the other models but this is definitely up my street, real solid looking. The website says its a 42mm - can anyone please confirm size across the bezel for me as 42mm is a bit small, I prefer 45mm to 47mm.

markeym3

I didn't like the look of the other models but this is definitely up my street, real solid looking. The website says its a 42mm - can anyone please confirm size across the bezel for me as 42mm is a bit small, I prefer 45mm to 47mm.

I am the same I prefer 45mm - 47mm too but I have to say this does wear and feel bigger than 42mm ,, I was going to measure it for you but my mitutoyo vernier has gone tits up ,,

so here is a comparison shot with a DSSD ..

It looks bigger the same way an IWC big pilot looks bigger than it is ..

20131003_163413_zpsdd6d9d24.jpg

20131003_163457_zpscb62db1e.jpg

20131003_163443_zps0752d96b.jpg

20131003_163610_zpsa1efd074.jpg

scorpion

Cheers - look same or maybe bigger than the DSSD. Love the clean looks of these but trying to slim down my 30+ collection so need to resist, still soon be Xmas :giggle:

mellons

Looks good on nato

Mike on a bike

Have the Nevon and the Branco very happy with them, trying not to buy this one!

Needs a new name, search around for a Nevon falls between this and the Pradata, sweet spot.