Sign in to follow this  
theflyingdutchman

RSI – Rep Scene Investigation – part 2 (Italia/San Remo market)

theflyingdutchman

Good day,

So today I went to the Saturday market in San Remo next to the central market hall. We arrived late (10:30) and it took a good 30mins, before we could find a parking spot. The weather is currently not that good (21C) so shopping is a good option.

The market itself is basically the same regular dealers as in Ventimiglia on Fridays, but the location in San Remo is much nicer, as the roads are tighter. In Ventimiglia I was told that the rep watch scene was in the hands of the Nigerians, so I knew whom to look out for. But “looking†out for was not needed! Upon arriving on the market, it took maybe 5 mins and I already had been asked twice if I want to buy a Rolex…

As I first needed to shop with my wife and get an overview of the market we walked around for half an hour. First thing that is observed that there were a lot less obviously placed fake hand bags and that at every road corner and crossing there was a Nigerian placed. Between the “corner guards†there were then 2-3 others patrolling the road or market passage with 2-3 watches and/or sun glasses in their hands.

Strange enough as I had turned down the first 2 dealers, I was some how then left alone after that. There is a small parking area for maybe 25 cars, in front of the market where the police stands and chats. One of these cars was an old white van, with 5 Nigerians standing around it. You cannot over see this van or them, so you can only assume that the police and the rep dealers silently co-exists. Maybe better seen and controlled then pushed into total none visibility.

After having a good dose of caffeine = 2 double espressos, I then decided lets see what they have. I walked up to one of them and he then says “Rolex, 100€, really good†and I say “Hublot� He then says that I need to come with him. So I follow him in direction of the white van. Before leaving my wife behind I had given her the car keys and my money, so I had no valuables on me and hoped that she would still be there when I come back. We arrive at the described parking spot and walk towards the white van. One of the guys from the van comes towards us and tells me in French, that I need to wait, which I then do. It takes a few minutes and a guy walks from the van to me with 3 watches in his hand. Keep in mind that I can see the police from here and they can clearly see me. So he hands me a watch, which has nothing to do with any HUBLOT designs I have ever seen. Properly best described as a Breitling with a Hublot logo. I had it back and get given a “something-Hublot†watch!? The price is 200€. I laugh and tell him, not good and that I what a Big Bang. He gives me a puzzled look and I get even more nervous. He walks away and another guy comes up to me and asks what I am looking for. So I explain it again. All the time I am look towards the police, just like he is! He then asks me if I want a Rolex or Panerai (well pronounced). I then turn around and walk away. He does not follow me!

I decide that I now need something real!

Lunch!

So I though that that was it… but is was not! After lunch we walked back to the car. Half way back, one the guys from the van suddenly shows up next to me an pulls from in side his shirt a HBB red devil… and I make a surprised face and my wife makes an angry face! He says 500€ and I take it to give it a look. It is a quartz model, that our “trusted†dealers sell for +/- 125USD (100€). Nicely wrapped in the well known blue plastic and the clear plastic bag. I take it out start/stop the chrono and then hand it back and say: “it is a quartz, not good!â€and walk off to the car….

…I did turn around twice, to see if we were being followed…

So, buying reps in Italia… surely illegal, surely available and what I saw and was offered only the lowest level of stuff…

Next week I am in Florence, maybe have more to report. Not that I am going to buy any!

Ciao!

Dutchy

trailboss99

Great little series TFD!

I am surprised they are so blatent given the Italian attitude to reps.

Someone's paying off the cops me thinks.

Col.

barkingtoad

Cool report

cant wait for the next instalment