Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Evolution of a replica - the Rolex DeepSea

greg_r

The recent DSSD reps have been reviewed several times by others - and photographed by far more talented (and far less apathetic ;) ) photographers than me (yes, I mean you, GC :) ).

Back in 2008 I bought one of the first 'lite' DeepSea reps from TTK. I knew they were flawed, which was the reason that I didn't go out and buy a more expensive one. However, this was a decent looking watch and came in a package deal with a rather nice ladies' Santos for my wife for about $120 the pair. It was too good a deal to pass up.

I was fairly happy with the watch when it arrived, but there were obvious flaws with the early versions - no blue lume / One piece back / No glidelock clasp and the profile of the case was just wrong. It was an attractive watch, but it really didn't look that much like the real thing.

However, since the v4 and v5 reps have appeared, they've gotten a great deal better and, having had an opportunity to get a close look at the gen, I've been wanting to upgrade to a more accurate version. Now, thanks to the incredible generosity of G.Curcio who, completely out of the blue, sent me this fantastic watch, I have an opportunity to photograph both versions side by side.

Let me tell you now. If you own a v1 DeepSea, you may want to look away - you will be needing to upgrade after you look at these pics. This, by the way, is the 21J version of the latest DSSD - available from Robert for $129. In each case, the latest version is on the right, the old on the left. Apologies for the photos - they're not exactly artistic as I just took a couple of quick snaps at my desk, but they do show the significant differences in the case, which was the intention. I'll take some better pics later.

deepsea_comparison_1.jpg

deepsea_comparison_2.jpg

deepsea_comparison_3.jpg

Hard to believe they're both supposed to be the same watch, ain't it? The newer version is so much chunkier, heavier and generally better quality. Actually, it's astoundingly good - I love it!

Thanks again, GC. I am more than a little overwhelmed by your kindness.

Baldrick

Nice comparison Greg, the V1 which was the only version available at the time was very obviously flawed, as you point out, the newer versions are so much better now, I've been wearing a V2 that I got from TTK which has all the correct features except for the 9th minute marker at 10, not that it bothers me, nobody ever notices it, including the AD I took it into, he was very impressed with it., wear your new one with pride and give the old one to someone else who might appreciate it. :)

Luthier

Interesting comparison, thanks, Greg!

That's what I really like - old rep. vs new rep., to see the evolution.

I never compare replicas with real thing, it's different world, world of replicas, that's why I'm not anal at all.

Gurcio is da man!!!

:D

greg_r
wear your new one with pride and give the old one to someone else who might appreciate it. :D

Thanks B. That's exactly what I intend to do. B)

Thanks for the clarification on the v2 - I'd thought that it was the v3 that had sorted out the obvious flaws, but I can't keep all these different versions straight :cry: Original post corrected.

barkingtoad

well done Greg getting a free watch ( must be nice ).

well done G.Curcio top banana B) :cry::D:rofl: :rofl:

Silverspeed

The DSSD has come a long way in a short time, less then 2.5 years?

Then again with hundreds of different versions....they're gonna get it right eventually B)

oh and great gesture from GC :D

nunu78

This watch is gr8,ive also got 1 today from Robert and loving it.

greg_r
well done Greg getting a free watch ( must be nice ).

well done G.Curcio top banana B) :cry::D:rofl: :rofl:

Yes it is. And +1 :D

GC

Great comparison! It's amazing to see how far reps have come in the last few years.

G... enjoy the hell out of it! And welcome to the real* DSSD club!

* not gen, but damn close!

greg_r

Thanks again, GC. Still kinda speechless about the whole thing, to be honest...

gB.

Hey GC,

Where would you advise to get the best DSSD version with a Swiss ETA movement?

:clap:

Signed,

GBOGH

greg_r

Mary or Robert would be my first port of call (Watchinternational or PrestigeWatchCo) :clap:

jkirke

Wonderful review. The new versions are far superior to the original. Just sold my recent version not long ago, and it was an AMAZING rep. I love the 21j pricetag. Very reasonable IMO.

dingle

@GC----:clap::rofl:

greg_r

thanks, jkirke :clap: