Sign in to follow this  
MadButcher

SOSF - is this gen or rep?

MadButcher

Can you please help me to identify this watch that has been sold as gen SOSF from 2006 on gen forum. For me it looks exactly as my rep, but I have never touched a gen.

(no more useful pictures in sellers thread, only of strap but that is not relevant)

pic3_zps08a48295.jpg

pic2_zpse4c69f4f.jpg

ads-1991

Best way to tell is by looking at the movement. If its legit it will have a breitling 17 (a modified 2824)

The SOSF is an excellent rep, have mine coming now :)

<RJ>

Quite beaten up. Did it sell as gen with those two pics only?

MadButcher

There were 4 pics in his thread. He could provide buyer with more pictures off line of course. I would say - if this is how gen should look like, I am happy for our H-factory reps!

Here is the thread:

http://forum.chronom...a-kau%C4%8Duku/

RichardMiami

if I understood that correctly, he says he has "papers" but no box. This is suspect.

Ask him what papers he has.. warranty? receipt? If all he has is a description of the watch, I would pass.

Frankt8242

I would feel quite angry if I had spent several thousands on a gen SOSF...The reps have always been excellent....Shit...Even 5 or 6 years ago they had varying serial numbers!!

1littlegreen

S in Super is flat not curved. Spacing on wings between 11 and 1 is off....I know there is more, anyone else?

If there was a picture of the back then serials could be looked up....

I call fake

fatarms

I'd have to see better pics of the dial, but the S in superocean seems to have the correct curved tail.

22font.jpg

Then again, the date box looks chunky.

19.jpg

nev848

I have a SOSF from 2008 and the second does not match this one. I have attached a picture for comparison.

efd51e140540bd807d70f6608232afdb_zpsa58d09ec.jpg

9d90b9db60d966009e1d7ce3c80ff9ba_zpsf8d92db2.jpg

Sorry forgot to say the mine is a Gen

MadButcher

...has been sold 4 days ago, before I found that thread...

...sill cant see any difference against my H-fac v2 rep...or lets put it like this - at least dial is fake...

fatarms

From what I'm reading, the second hand changed shapes from square to arrow in late 2006 to early 2007.

nev848

Checking mine against this then the tails of the numbers are also different. Not sure but I would have walked away for sure.

KeNnY

has got lume on inside bezel indexes the square and triangle so gen, didn't see rep with lume inside, unless modded, also the round dial indexes looks nice and sharp like removable

MadButcher

Yes - silver number tails, thick frame around date window, flat "S" tail in "SuperOcean". What about shape of number 4 of "14" in inner circle - just above date window? It is also totally different than your gen.

MadButcher

Good point Kenny, one argument for gen - if that IS lume. But probably easy mod, isnt it?

Higs

Photos aren't good enough to be sure but I would say gen.

MadButcher

I have just checked my rep and it has lume on inner bezel indexes. Cant see points of lume but it is lumed. Also pearl is lumed.

KeNnY

I have just checked my rep and it has lume on inner bezel indexes. Cant see points of lume but it is lumed. Also pearl is lumed.

then just open the caseback and take a picture, I would request that, the movement should be ETA 2892

ImNotFatImFluffy

looks like the cleanest lume ive ever seen applied to the markers if it is rep, mine being close to perfect.

that being said though, hard to tell from those pics.

Higs

If you're not the seller or buyer, does it matter?

Particularly as all we've got to go on are a couple of poor pictures of a watch that has a pretty accurate rep - so we'll never really know for sure.

yawn
I have a SOSF from 2008 and the second does not match this one. I have attached a picture for comparison.

Fat arms was spot on, just look for the curved S. As for the different second hand, bertling made different models of SOSF consisting two types of hands so it is not a tell.

MadButcher

Nicely said Higs - watch that has pretty accurate rep. I just googled SOSF pictures on reliable sites with zero probability of rep presence, and have to say that it is not that easy to spot rep. Even some gens looks like reps, maybe there are more versions of dials, bezels etc. within couple of years.

For me that is proof that this particular rep (h-factory v2 SOSF) is even closer to gen that I ever thought.

I was not any involved in that deal, just was quite upset that some prick was trying to make profit from selling 300 USD rep as 1200 USD gen - even with significant wear (or lets say little damaged watch). That is not why we are in rep business I hope.

Higs

Nicely said Higs - watch that has pretty accurate rep. I just googled SOSF pictures on reliable sites with zero probability of rep presence, and have to say that it is not that easy to spot rep. Even some gens looks like reps, maybe there are more versions of dials, bezels etc. within couple of years.

I think we underestimate the amount by which 'gen' changes over the years. And then we over-analyse the differences between 'idealised gen' and our reps.

I'm sure gen watches are made to specification but all specs have tolerances.

Cynikal.Mindset

Fat arms was spot on, just look for the curved S. As for the different second hand, bertling made different models of SOSF consisting two types of hands so it is not a tell.

there are gen with and without curved "S"...I cant see the pics so I can't tell

LightGeek

there are gen with and without curved "S"...I cant see the pics so I can't tell

+1 I spent a good 20 minutes sometime back to validate this.