Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Why do things never go like you expect with reps.

KBH

Well, after 4 weeks of waiting, I finally got in the new ceramic bezel insert that was going to finish off my GMTIIC project with the 2893-2 movement. After giving Mary the inner and outer dimensions she sourced a beautiful new solid ceramic bezel insert. It was so sweet when I opened the package. I was thrilled.

Here's the new on right. Soo much nicer and shinier. Lettering is perfect and great color.

DSCN4282.jpg

But, ooops! Look how thick it is. When I put it in the bezel it sits way above the edge of the bezel and above the crystal.

DSCN4285.jpg

And it's way too hard to try to grind down. After 30 minutes with a Dremel and a stone, I took off about 2/1000 of an inch.

Moral of the story is always give all the dimensions, not just the obvious ones.

Anybody have a skinnier one they want to trade?

barkingtoad

OOOOPPPPSSSSSS !!!!!

Get the grinder back out & you may be ready in 2 weeks

greg_r

whoops. Why can't these things be easy? lol

KBH
whoops. Why can't these things be easy? lol

"if it was easy, everybody would do it"

This is the original CHS from hell watch. This watch is jinxed ever since I first got it. Rex has had it twice and he finally put a different movement in it. But he'd also relumed the dial and I put on a AR'd cyclops so I didn't want to give up on it. It still never worked right. Then it had a 21j movement for a while which worked better than the Swiss Eta. At least the GMT hand could make a 24 sweep and still be correct.

Then I couldn't resist trying to shoehorn in a REAL GMT movement. After mucho problemo I finally got that to work. Now I just want a good bezel insert. ;)

sconehead

...Grind the bezel itself?

GC

Patience is a virtue KBH, just think that when it is completed it will be the best GMTIIc EVER!

Than you can sell it to me!

Member X
...Grind the bezel itself?

+1

That's what RA has been doing on his 1675s ;)

KinCaidk

Plus one on the grinding of bezel.

I just did it tonight on my SMP and now everything is peachy! ;)

KBH

I can see grinding the inner part of the bezel if I had a lathe or milling machine. I'm not so sure about trying to do it with a Dremel. I can easily see fucking up the lip on the bezel trying to do it by hand.

I'm going to have to contemplate this for a while.

How'd you do yours Kinky. I'd have to take about a mm of the inside floor of the bezel

JoeyB

I had the same situation, got a replacement insert from Joshua. It is the thicker one, measuring 1.2mm or 1.3mm on the outside edge. It is tapered, so it's difficult to measure. I tried talking the insert down after asking here, no one having any experience in the ceramic yet. Thinning the insert ain't gonna happen with any ordinary tools I know of. Deepening the bezel might work, I don't think you'll meed a full 1mm, but you might also have to lower the outside lip of where the crystal sits, as the insert rides there to the crystal.

Good luck with it, I wish I could help. But if you do come up with something, I'd surely like to know.

KBH

I think I could take it down with a diamond blade. A tile saw cuts ceramic tile like butter. But, I've got a feeling this ceramic is a lot harder than ceramic tile. I just don't think I could do it without chipping the edge of the insert. Or cracking the whole thing in pieces.

OHMYGODITSAPANERAI

The diamond blade will work. But it is a Royal Pain in the Arse. It can be done, but be VERY careful of vibration or the ceramic will crack.