Sign in to follow this  
kime

What would you do differently if you could start your collection again...

kime

There must be plenty of purchases that you must regret, even if you are new to this "madness" :-)

Stuvetjee

Well this thread is actually great! Hmm let me think.. I think if i started again i would first purchase proper watchtools before ordering reps ;)

Edited by Stuvetjee

Mr Stubbs

There must be plenty of purchases that you must regret, even if you are new to this "madness" :-)

First purchase oh so long ago: Over-priced Bell & Ross that says "MILIARY (sic) SPEC" on the back. Thanks for nothing "watchesbyjames"... :fail:

Oh wtf, live and learn, right?

dunkster

Put my money into shares and run as fast as i can away from this bottomless pit of an addiction, maybe i'd get into something far less financially taxing, like boats or perhaps women, far less expensive! :giggle:

Mr Stubbs

Put my money into shares and run as fast as i can away from this bottomless pit of an addiction, maybe i'd get into something far less financially taxing, like boats or perhaps women, far less expensive! :giggle:

planning_zps3a1faf59.jpg

machiavegli

Cool thread idea...

I would have bought all automatic movements. Tick tock seconds drive me nuts now.

I'd have bought more M2M rather than full price.

I'd also recruit friends to buy and batch purchases better to decrease shipping costs.

I'd try on more watches at AD rather than buying from photos.

-Mach

Chairman7w

Oooh, should be a great thread, looking forward to it!

A9Kkg.gif

xj4sonx

Great topic, I would think I would of done things a little slower with a bit more research. I love all my watches (9 since starting this hobby in August) but a few I would like to own in a better repped version if that makes sense.

Pihlippe

Why do anything different?

TheTinMan

I would have never bought a Panerai - those god damned things are addictive. Start with one, next thing you know, you've got 18 or more - it's like they multiply in the watch box.

TheSav

If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have started with the cheapies and instead would have purchased the keepers I have in my box now.

nyckid

I would buy more APs to rub them on Zachthewanker's face!! :wanker:

TheInthusiest

hmm... well... Im pretty happy where i am, but i would have liked to keep things more uniform.

For instance, my rep collection isnt very big. Consists of mainly 5 watches. I would have liked to have them all to be super reps. Right now, only 2 are (Im having an Omega UPO being sent as i type :) )

I would have also liked to have maybe a boxset to go with all the watches. :P

yawn

Tag monaco, should get gen

pam111, should get 063

ap diver 3, should get a franken

thats about it.

scozzie

I think I would spend a bit more time considering whether it is really a watch I like, or if it is just a "kid in a sweet shop" purchase.

I love the watches I have but some of them were just reflexive purchases....must...be...more...considered.

Ah, who am I kidding!

Realism

buy expensive gens in 2009

Thang

I would stop buying without researching carefully. I bought so many junks :)

LightGeek

What would you do differently if you could start your collection again...

... I just wouldn't.

jeffw69

Not a damn thing!

cwazy1

I wouldn't change anything either. lessons learned here and there but all worth it.

Mystery Shopper

If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have started with the cheapies and instead would have purchased the keepers I have in my box now.

+1. There is no race.

SSTEEL

I feel I have made a wise choice of route to follow since getting back into the rep game. Based on my previous habits, I have learned these, and now have spend far more time, and money investing in watchmakers tools, and equipment. The only down side to this is seeing reps I like going out of stock before my eyes, seeing and wanting reps but funds restricted to my investments.

The one positive other than having invested in tools etc is that during this time, I have seen many versions of reps evolve. The AP Diver for one, this is now @ V5, and had only been released a month when I started hoarding.

kime

I haven't been doing this long but I have already bought a watch that I decided I didn't like anymore even before it was delivered :-) lol

Chrisby

Hmm very interesting, If I could start my collection again.. i guess I'd do what TheSav would do, and that's not have started with the cheapies. Back then (only a year ago) It was all a learning curve for me and the cheapies helped, i guess, to get an idea of what I'd ultimately invest more money in.

I have attended a gtg and that's a damn good way of getting a better idea of future purchases and also to chew the fat with other like minded insane people!! :)

Ultimately though if I could start from scratch....i'd have never have found this site, and NEVER got into this expensive hobby :rofl:!!