Sign in to follow this  
cogwatch

I wore a rep to an AD this weekend - story inside.......

solkryssare

Was in work yesterday when this dude parked outside in a 1992 Datsun Sunny.

For some reason he had his head stuck out the sunroof, think he thought it was a convertible.

He then stood beside his car for 5 minutes shining a torch at his wrist.

Once inside the shop he incessantly inquired as to the price of every watch in the shop and mumbled something about movement..(think he needed the bathroom).

He looked at the watch on my wrist and began to touch himself inappropriately at this point security were moving in. Out of nowhere the dude ran behind the counter and filled his pockets with brochures and ran out of the shop. You had to appreciate the way he jumped back in to his car thru the sunroof.

He looked soooo cool in his Jimmy Hilfinger t shirt and his solo sports pants, but the weirdest thing was that he had on him a totally GENUINE Panerai….Go figure

awesome_gif_by_mysteriousshamrock-d4yqwyj_zps02ba97ac.gif

Frankt8242

well...I once drove my Oldsmobile onto the lot of a Mercury dealer.... And it was an equally memorable experience!!

And I am probably one of a very few Americans here that have actually driven a '92 Nissan "Sunny"...

And I have never been near enough to an actual Panerai dealers location to attempt to test my "gulag resistance factor"...

But I do often wear my "Toro" $89.00 024 to the Panera sandwich shop nearby!! :help3: :help3:

Realism

well...I once drove my Oldsmobile onto the lot of a Mercury dealer.... And it was an equally memorable experience!!

And I am probably one of a very few Americans here that have actually driven a '92 Nissan "Sunny"...

And I have never been near enough to an actual Panerai dealers location to attempt to test my "gulag resistance factor"...

But I do often wear my "Toro" $89.00 024 to the Panera sandwich shop nearby!! :help3: :help3:

the cashier has a Rolex on?

TheTinMan

For some reason he had his head stuck out the sunroof, think he thought it was a convertible.

Once inside the shop he incessantly inquired as to the price of every watch in the shop and mumbled something about movement..(think he needed the bathroom).

He looked at the watch on my wrist and began to touch himself inappropriately at this point security were moving in. Out of nowhere the dude ran behind the counter and filled his pockets with brochures and ran out of the shop. You had to appreciate the way he jumped back in to his car thru the sunroof.

He looked soooo cool in his Jimmy Hilfinger t shirt and his solo sports pants, but the weirdest thing was that he had on him a totally GENUINE Panerai….Go figure

:boxing:

HAHAHA. I have to admit, I've inadvertently worn reps or homages into ADs. Not on purpose though. I usually stop at all the watch stores and drool on the display cases. If I know I'll be looking beforehand, I'll make sure the watch is covered by pulling it a little higher on my arm or take it off and put it in my pocket. Only once did an employee notice my watch - it was a homage and not a rep. I was honest with him and he was super cool. We ended up speaking for about 20 minutes while my wife fumed in the mall waiting with my daughter in her stroller.

DKaiser Söze

Another rep at the AD story. Cool story, Dave. really cool actually.

Panolex

I used to work at an AD part-time in the UK while at University for three years.

My Boss taught me that anyone that asks too many questions and seems to know too much about the design and specification of a watch will be wearing a replica and has come to do a comparison lol

In the three years working at an AD he was right Lol and most of the customers who were spending thousands of £'s didn't have a clue about watches in general.

I personally will never wear a rep to an AD.I have witnessed many embarrasing moments.

:-)

Del

^^^This is funny! Thanks for the insight Panolex! :thumbsup2:

JohnPilot

OMG :lol::rofl: This 1992 Sunny story is for me the post of the year. Made my day.

cogwatch

I have seen members getting banned for doing what you did and then brag about it....short lived brag too....

Hmmm, I wasn't bragging, I was telling the story.

Realism

I used to work at an AD part-time in the UK while at University for three years.

My Boss taught me that anyone that asks too many questions and seems to know too much about the design and specification of a watch will be wearing a replica and has come to do a comparison lol

In the three years working at an AD he was right Lol and most of the customers who were spending thousands of £'s didn't have a clue about watches in general.

I personally will never wear a rep to an AD.I have witnessed many embarrasing moments.

^ This true

gigahertz15

I think you will fool most dealers with your rep. I can hardly tell the difference between my Gen and Rep SuperOcean Heritage, if you took one away, I doubt I'd pick the correct one, but for a spelling mistake on the back.

But if you're at an AD...wearing a rep watch and not in the mindset of purchasing a watch, then you're only fooling yourself.

If you're there to buy a watch, then it is common courtesy not to wear a rep.

But enjoy your excellent rep in good health. :). I love my reps too.

Thang

Dave,

You make my day with the other side of the story. Thanks

:D :D :D

Edited by Thang

Mr. Genesis

A couple weeks ago I went into an AD with my Alpha Paul Newman. When I got inside I immediately told the seller that I bought an hommage because I simply love the real one. Then I talked with her a lot about watches and without even asking her, she asked me to try a Tudor and a Bretiling. It was awesome! Of course I can't afford them because I am just a student, but I think she was really glad to give me the opportunity to try high end watches.

What a great day! :D

dave1978

Thanks for the comments guys,,,think i just voiced what we all thought reading the original post,,,(and what probably happened :) )

onzenuub

Last week I drove with my Volvo to a BMW garage. No troubles.

Realism

chinese volvo? :giggle:

onzenuub

Yep since a few years it's Chinese. :lol:

Frankt8242

the cashier has a Rolex on?

No.........It was a 5th gen UPO with a terrible pearl IIRC !! :giggle: :giggle:

LightGeek
despite not recognizing my 299 as a rep.

Yeah, sure. Big win. Does that make you feel good? I guess so, that's why you posted this drivel.

Realism

so you got the Swedish one before they turned Chinese?

onzenuub

so you got the Swedish one before they turned Chinese?

Yep, I've a gen. :lol:

dave1978

ordered a seiko from creation watches sunday...anyone else wonder how he can afford to ship for free ,,dhl no less,,,only answer i can think of is he is selling shitloads of watches,,,but even still dont see many free shipping deals anywhere on the interweb thingy...

this post is dead and i dont think my question warrants a new topic :)

R1evans

I've had 3 seikos from him in the last month,all DHL,arrived in the UK within 3days.

deju

Big. Deal.

They want to sell you a watch that is why he was nice to you regardless of what you had on.

Everyone is a potential customer.

I personally don't see the issue in wearing your watch in an AD if your discreet, and do not waste sale people's time! When asked if you need help you say no thank you I'm just looking.

If you're waving your super lumed super rep about and asking lots of questions/trying on watches etc. I think it's bad taste.

tesmith2112

This is so true! Your boss was right.