Sign in to follow this  
cogwatch

I wore a rep to an AD this weekend - story inside.......

Kwt

Not sure how wearing a rep into an AD is considered a thrill but wearing a gen into a AD and speaking to someone while he/she admires it is rather pleasant! Such as when I wore my Moonie in an Omega store and had a nice discussion about watches and the fact that the person tried to talk me out of exchanging it with a PO. He quite frankly said look mate why the hell would you do that and was swinging my watch in my face going "this is a classic!"

cogwatch

(NOTE: the below was also added to the original post)

Sheesh. I had no idea this would create such a shitstorm. I thought I’d get more “nice Memovox” comments than anything else.

I didn’t think I was, nor was it my intention, to brag. I was just telling the story. However, re-reading my post I think I could have worded some things differently so as to not be so controversial. So, let me clarify some points of the story.

My wife and I went to the mall last weekend to go to the Apple store and look at the new iPad Air. Of course this will create another shitstorm of Apple haters and Apple lover, but I digress….

I HAPPENED to be wearing my rep PAM 299K. It’s winter here in the San Francisco Bay Area (though many of you would say “winter my ass”) so I was wearing a long sleeve shirt. Now, before there is yet another shitstorm about “how could your lume be so charged if you were wearing a long sleeve shirt”. When driving and stretching my hands to the steering wheel my sleeve pulls up and uncovers my watch.

After looking at the new iPad, my wife went to look at shoes and I went to look at watches. In addition to the AD with all the luxury brands, there is also a standalone Montblanc store and a Tag Heuer store. I went to those stores first. I didn’t flash my 299 begging for attention, I just looked at the watches and left.

Then I went to the Watch Disneyland AD store. My intention was to quietly walk around and look at all the watches. I usually avoid the sales people as much as possible stating “I’m just looking” if I’m spoken to. I was wearing my long sleeve shirt, I did not roll my sleeves up so as to flash and flaunt my rep 299. I don’t remember the exact details of it but the sales guy I ended up talking to seemed like a really nice guy and an obvious watch lover, not just a pushy watch store sales person, so we ended up continuing to talk. We were looking at and talking about the Chopards, and he started commenting on the vanilla smell of the rubber strap on the Chopards and pulled one out, nicely offering for me to try it on. I thought, well I have to take off my watch to try on the Chopard. I thought, what the hell, I’m wearing a pretty good rep, so I took it off and casually laid it on the counter. I didn’t say “hey check out my gen watch, sucker”. As I said in my original post, he commented positively on my watch and the lume in particular. He said, that’s a nice PAM and the lume looks great. I said thank you and we went back to talking about the Chopard. I put my watch back on and it wasn’t shown again or discussed for the rest of the visit. When I commented later that my 299 was Indistinguishable from the PAMs in the case, I didn't show or take off my 299 to compare. I know what it looks like. I just looked at the PAMs in the case and marveled internally at the quality of my rep 299.

Let me show my comment on my original post here. To quote “The sales guy, who was wearing the watch in the pic below (I'm showing that here just for eye candy as it was a stunning watch), commented very positively on my 299. I have a convertible and had just come in from a nice sunny drive, and the lume was glowing even under the store lights. It looked awesome.” I’m not sure where bragging was read into my comment. I did say it looked awesome. I don’t think that was bragging, it did look awesome.

In the next section of the post I commented a little bit about my watch again. To quote ” The sales guy was very nice and knowledgeable, despite not recognizing my 299 as a rep. Remember, this place has pretty much every luxury watch brand so it would be impossible for him to know every detail about every watch of every brand. Also, I think my significant knowledge of watches (thanks RWG) created an atmosphere where there was no reason for him to think my 299 was anything but a gen. And the Super Rep level and glowing lume of the 299 didn't hurt either.” My intention here was not to be bragging about my watch but rather to emphasize that the sales guy wasn’t an idiot AD sales guy by virtue of the fact that he commented positively on my rep 299.

I commented that I felt bad duping the sales guy with my rep PAM. Note, I didn’t say I intentionally duped him. I wasn’t bragging. FFS, quite the opposite. I felt bad that by virtue of him seeing and commenting on my rep, I didn’t feel good about that in what was an otherwise very enjoyable experience. We had a very good “watch fanatic bond” and I felt the rep situation in a way sullied the experience.

And lastly, I commented “Hmmm, I wonder which rep I’ll wear next time???” I was joking FFS. I had just said above that I felt bad about the situation. I will definitely go back to the AD many times in the future. It’s watch nirvana. I will probably wear a nice Bulova Precisionist, or Orient-Star, or gen Tag that I have. But I sure as hell won’t write about the experience here.

I hope this helps to calm people down. As you see, the deep details made for a very long write up. I thought my original post was a reasonably short story about my adventure. But I guess I should have not written it at all, or I should have written a short novel with every detail.

Realism

HFR much?

dave1978

"""I thought, well I have to take off my watch to try on the Chopard. I thought, what the hell, I’m wearing a pretty good rep, so I took it off and casually laid it on the counter.""""

:help3:

hnic

hahahaha

cogwatch
despite not recognizing my 299 as a rep.

Yeah, sure. Big win. Does that make you feel good? I guess so, that's why you posted this drivel.

LG, if you read my follow on edit, I was commenting positively on the sales guy, not commenting on my "big win".

and "drivel". Give me a fucking break....

BentleySharp

I'm making some popcorn over here. Anybody want some? Something to drink? A coke?

Zachthebaker

So what if he wears a Rep into an AD, what's the big deal??

this fucking guy again...

Why don't fuck off you shit stirring know it all!

Yes I did fucking search the forum and guess what loads of people wear reps into an AD, so what!! Even some of the mods have done it. To deliberately pass it off as gen to an AD is stupid but it casually wear one in an AD discreetly - or it that a capital offense too??

Im sorry I hurt your feelings.... really I am.. you fucking queer

dave1978

Odyseus you give queers a bad name

Yes I did fucking search the forum and guess what loads of people wear reps into an AD, so what!! Even some of the mods have done it. To deliberately pass it off as gen to an AD is stupid but it casually wear one in an AD discreetly - or it that a capital offense too??

Odyseus,,,,u give queers a bad name

Edited by dave1978

cogwatch

I'm making some popcorn over here. Anybody want some? Something to drink? A coke?

I'd like some popcorn, thanks. Butter please. And butter in the middle, not just on top please.

Zachthebaker

Odyseus you give queers a bad name

Odyseus,,,,u give queers a bad name

and that name... is odyseus.

garyepw

As a newbie this thread has cracked me up - especially Zach's last comment :giggle: For me bottom line is would you turn up at a Ferrari dealer in a fake Ferrari ? If you would then fair play, if you wouldn't then I'm with you.

phunkshunz
:popcorn::band:

E-man82

I am still a newbie but this thread has taught me a lot about AD etiquette.

I have a group of friends in NY that actually work for Rolex Service Dept. [they are the ones who repair the movements when someone still has a warranty, you wont imagine how many time those things break!] they absolutely love watches but are more interested in the quality of their internal movements than their appearance.

Since they are always around and at different gatherings, I always bump in to them, they enjoy checking watches [gen or rep] the funny thing is that they seem to always have a friction ball or a snappy opener with them, in any event they always want to opening everyone's watches at the party, to peak inside.

As a result posing won't work in our circle, so out the gate just tell them its a rep, they will smile, open it, give you 30 minute discussion as to why your movements are so inferior, then move on, the moral of the story is "There's no future in fronting!"

Olly

Glad you enjoyed your day :)

DG335

Just No

Cest tout

Odyseus

You really are a complete toss pot aren't?? you don't even listen to the mod on page 1 and start being a complete twat again!!

cogwatch

Glad you enjoyed your day :)

Thank you Olly.

Realism
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Aren

Was in work yesterday when this dude parked outside in a 1992 Datsun Sunny.

For some reason he had his head stuck out the sunroof, think he thought it was a convertible.

He then stood beside his car for 5 minutes shining a torch at his wrist.

Once inside the shop he incessantly inquired as to the price of every watch in the shop and mumbled something about movement..(think he needed the bathroom).

He looked at the watch on my wrist and began to touch himself inappropriately at this point security were moving in. Out of nowhere the dude ran behind the counter and filled his pockets with brochures and ran out of the shop. You had to appreciate the way he jumped back in to his car thru the sunroof.

He looked soooo cool in his Jimmy Hilfinger t shirt and his solo sports pants, but the weirdest thing was that he had on him a totally GENUINE Panerai….Go figure

:lmao2: OMG...I thought I would piss myself reading this. That is hilarious.

I see the testosterone rush started early here today and carried on in the SB.

This thread reminds me that I want to visit an AD with Houndoggie wearing a rep.

:lol:

jeffrx

Everybody here, including me, is a fucking criminal by legal standards, so why are you all judging this guy. He bought a rep and he can wear it any way he fucking wants to. Look at you all judging. It laughable. You've got to be kidding yourself if you think dealers and manufacturers are not aware that high quality reps exist.

Realism

Everybody here, including me, is a fucking criminal by legal standards, so why are you all judging this guy. He bought a rep and he can wear it any way he fucking wants to. Look at you all judging. It laughable. You've got to be kidding yourself if you think dealers and manufacturers are not aware that high quality reps exist.

buying a rep in the States is legal... apparently you didn't read the earlier 6 pages.... it is a tasteless act to be flaunting a rep @ an AD... read much in the future...

Mr Stubbs

I'd like some popcorn, thanks. Butter please. And butter in the middle, not just on top please.

You're a good man and a good sport, cogwatch. I enjoyed your story. And Dave's as well. Reminds me of the time I went to an AD without my trousers. Adds a whole new dimension to "Look at the lume on that thing." :drunksing:

kjb1

All too often seems too much ego and fluffing of feathers on what is a great forum. Such a shame there are these hypocrites who feel the need to jump on anything they feel warrants their aggressive replies. Woopdeedoo, Im sure the AD enjoyed talking to OP as much as he did. At end of day they share a common interest in love of a decent time piece. Who cares if OP's is technically not in same league as a gen. Not me. Peace everyone. Its a great forum, why spoil it. All here for same reason.

myaz

This topic pops up from time to time. if you collect reps, it's only a matter of time before you just happen to stroll into an AD with a rep.

However, for any noob happening to be reading this, our reps reach us best when customs is too busy with more important matters.

We want to avoid dissing someone whose income is affected by reps and then calls his State Representative or Congressman to complain about it and now customs shifts gears to pay more attention to small square packages from Guangzhou.