Sign in to follow this  
BentleySharp

Calling all Watch Repair Wizzes - Houston, We Have A Problem

BentleySharp

My new IWC vintage Portofino just arrived this afternoon. And Cheers to Joshua at PerfectClones for getting it to me in record time (under a week). I would normally be elated. A new watch. Which means photoshoot, review, wearing it out in public, admiring it. But no. I have to hold off on these things that bring me pleasure, For there is a problem :( The watch does not work properly.

So far, my watches have arrived flawless, in perfect working order, so i have not had to experience this before, though i knew from what i've read on the forum that if i stick with this hobby long enough, this situation is inevitable.

I will do my best to explain the issue, And my question to you all is this: Should i attempt to fix it myself, and can you tell me how (i have never opened up a watch before but i'm willing to try given detailed instruction), Or, Should i just return the watch and ask for an exchange, refund, or different model? Do to the complications of returning something to China and corrosponding with someone half a world away in a different language, i would rather fix it myself if the problem isn't overly difficult, But if it is just too much for me to handle i am still willing to make a return/exchange/refund.

So, The Watch, The problem.

The watch is an IWC vintage Portofino with a Handwind 17J Asian movement. It has an hour hand and minute hand mounted in the center of the dial, a Daytime/Night-time indicator at 12 and a seconds subdial at 6.

(I'm a little miffed that it is advertised on PerfectClones Website as a Moonphase, When in actuality it turned out to be a Day/Night indicator, But thats a different story for a different thread)

Picture of Gen for reference:

iw544803-alt.jpg

So, I unwrapped the watch, Removed all the plastic. It is a Handwind so when it arrived it wasn't running. I set the hands and then gently gave the crown about 20 rotations and it popped into life. the second hand began rotating around the subdial at a 21,600 beat rate....for about 25 - 30 seconds. Then it stopped. I gave it a light "thump" with my thumb at it starts rotating and ticking away...for 15 or so more seconds before it stops again. I give the crown another 20 - 30 rotations to ensure it is fully wound. Again, about 20 seconds of activity then nothing. I turn it over to see if it's just the seconds subdial or the whole movement which has stopped, and the balance wheel under the display caseback has ceased moving as well. I give it a little "thwack" with my finger and it jumps to life again. And again, after about 20 - 30 seconds, the balance wheel stops dead in it's tracks and the watch is silent. No movement. another "thwack" and up it starts again....You get the idea. If i just set it down, and don't thump it or shake it hard, it will just sit there, silent, indefinitly.

So. This is a problem.

Is there anything i can do to fix it?

Or should i just return it to Joshua?

And if I return it, should i ask for a different model instead of an exchange?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me sort this out.

Rockzz22

Good luck with fix when dealing with reps I think it is good to learn to fix your self something I am trying to learn now good luck I wish I could help you more.

andyboy

Bentley

I would send Josh an e mail just to let him know just know.

Sounds like it needs a bit of lubrication but best to let josh know first before it goes off to the watchsmith.

Could be any easy fix and probably not worth the hassle sending it back.

Good luck mate

BentleySharp

Bentley

I would send Josh an e mail just to let him know just know.

Sounds like it needs a bit of lubrication but best to let josh know first before it goes off to the watchsmith.

Could be any easy fix and probably not worth the hassle sending it back.

Good luck mate

I sent Joshua an email just explaining what was going on in simple terms. I told him i would consult with other RWG members and then i would decide whether or not to ask him if i could return or exchange it.

BigsCG

do you have any tools? what is your comfort level w/ opening watches? Would you care if you totally broke it beyond repair?

RichardMiami

Bentley

Where are you located? Houston?

Libertatia

How much did the watch cost? Depending on this, it could be worth spending that extra $ getting it serviced, or simply checked by a local watch smith. It could be something simple.

Edit: If its a cheapy, buy a new movement as stated for $8, or send it back if you aren't confident at swapping movements. If you don't know what to do, you're simply just going to mess things up even more. If its an expensive version, $200+, then its more cost efficient and time saving to spend about $40 at a local watchsmith who will probably just put the main spring back in to position, as they commonly get knocked out of position during shipping.

Edited by Libertatia

BentleySharp

Bentley

Where are you located? Houston?

Yes Richard, I live in Houston, Texas. Why do you ask?

P4GTR

1st thought is, the hairsprings on 6497's like to get stuck atop one another w/ rough handling. Look really close at the hairspring and see if it looks like it is bunched up anywhere.

I've seen main springs snap, so no matter how much winding the watch gets, there is no reserve building up so the movement dies shortly after being "thumped" to life.

BentleySharp

1st thought is, the hairsprings on 6497's like to get stuck atop one another w/ rough handling. Look really close at the hairspring and see if it looks like it is bunched up anywhere.

I've seen main springs snap, so no matter how much winding the watch gets, there is no reserve building up so the movement dies shortly after being "thumped" to life.

Its hard to tell really, through the caseback, but the hairspring appears to be in it's proper place.

BentleySharp

do you have any tools? what is your comfort level w/ opening watches? Would you care if you totally broke it beyond repair?

I have some jewelers tools. Like i said in my post, i will give it a shot at trying to fix it myself, provided i have adequate instruction. If it turns into a heap of tiny unuseable parts then i'm no worse off than i am now with a watch i can't wear.

Dendo

I think you should not attempt fixing it unless you are okay with later discarding it.

I think you should ask Joshua what to do. Get it fixed locally or send it back. If you send it back - order another until you get it returned, fixed - coz it will take months - patience is critical in the rep world.

It may need a service, oiled etc. Or it might be as said by P4GTR, a bunched hairspring. It could even be a badly regulated watch that just needs the stem carrier reset. But all of these fixes in the hands of a novice can reduce the watch to a pile of parts. So it is your choice mate.

best of luck.

Edited by Dendo

myaz

Day/nite indication for the "moon phase' subdial is on par for a cheap movement.

These movements cost about 5-8 dollars (maybe not to you) and are not worth fixing if they require more than removing a pube. I'll bet you remove the back, have a look around, and everything will look normal. If you're lucky, you might find an extra loose screw someone dropped in accidentally and it's rubbing on the balance wheel, though when that happened to mereps, it stopped the balance wheel altogether.

In conclusion, I'd send it back.

Electron17

Find a rep friendly watch maker in your area and take it to him. Let him give it a service, may just be some dirt in the movement. Easier than sending it back and you will have a nice watch that works.

black263

Don't forget that the minute you try to do anything yourself, you invalidate any responsibility the seller ever had. My advice is to talk to the seller, and if they advise returning, do so, accepting the delay. Hell, if you're really desperate, buy another one from him, and when you get your repaired one back, sell it on M2M. That's what I did, and overall, it cost me less than sending away to a watchsmith, AND, I got a working model on my wrist in a couple of weeks.

BentleySharp

Day/nite indication for the "moon phase' subdial is on par for a cheap movement.

These movements cost about 5-8 dollars (maybe not to you) and are not worth fixing if they require more than removing a pube. I'll bet you remove the back, have a look around, and everything will look normal. If you're lucky, you might find an extra loose screw someone dropped in accidentally and it's rubbing on the balance wheel, though when that happened to mereps, it stopped the balance wheel altogether.

Thanks for that explination myaz. kind of puts things in perspective. This is the first watch ive bought under $300 from a dealer, so i haven't experienced the joys of cheap movements untill now.

...I think you should ask Joshua what to do....

Yea, we have been going back and forth via email talking about it. I notified him as to the problem after andyboy suggested i let him know what is going on and he's been asking a lot of questions about it.

black263

Are there any reps that have a correct moonphase? Pretty well all of the movements in the rep game seem to have day/night. Effectively, they seem to have a GMT function which rotates the "moonphase" dial in time with the hour hand.

MrX

Could be anything, I always give mine a once over on receipt and quick lube job (hello, hello) and I have found them in all sorts of conditions - have had 2 DOA ever and both where the escapement wheel coming out of the bottom jewel (sorry for any wrong terminology, I know what I mean in my head). If you know what you are looking for is quite a simple fix (movement permitting).

X

RichardMiami

asked the location question in case there is anyone nearby who can help. Always worth a shot.............

BentleySharp

asked the location question in case there is anyone nearby who can help. Always worth a shot.............

just in case someone nearby can help:

I LIVE IN HOUSTON, TEXAS EVERYONE.

black263

Well you can't have everything. Someone's gotta live there.

JohnPilot

First ask dealer then send it back. I did it with Toro, no problem. Yes it takes time but ...

LJDRVR

I can recommend a local guy in Houston. On the west side at FM529 & Highway 6. Watch Tech.

Copperfield.

P4GTR

Don't forget that the minute you try to do anything yourself, you invalidate any responsibility the seller ever had.

:lol: Where did you come up with that? Josh has sent me the parts to solve repair issues on brand new watches from him on several occasions. After sales help is one of his strong points.

If the watch can be repaired locally and put in capable hands then that is and always will be the best way to go. You're looking at $30-50 and about two months wait the moment you decide to send it back. What you get in return is the same gamble you took originally.

BentleySharp

I can recommend a local guy in Houston. On the west side at FM529 & Highway 6. Watch Tech.

Copperfield.

REALLY!! Copperfield, that is quite literally the neighborhood my parents live in. i've driven through that intersection 1000's of times. never knew there was a watch repair there though.

But, While that is definately good to know for the future, I'm getting the feeling there is not an easy fix for this, and even if there is, nobody has posted instructions on how to go about doing it. There was an earlier post talking about the comparison in "cost of watch" vs. "cost of repair", Which is why i was going to try to fix it myself.

However, since this is the case, I have been in communication with Joshua through all of this and he has very kindly offered to take it back.

I think i will take him up on his very generous offer.

Thank you everyone for your advice, information, input, and opinions. You helped me decide what the best couse of action is.