Massimo

BK is busy - 2009 projects

Massimo

I notice BK has a few new offerings via WM9:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=196

|

|--- http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=89867

|--- http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=88771

New Sea Dweller, LV Sub and TT Sub. Quite pricey, although with discounts for pre-ordering. I've read good things here and like the look of these new toys, but does anyone have direct experience of WM9's stuff?

AllergyDoc

That Rolesium YM sells for $750ish! Yikes! We're back to Eurofakes prices again.

They are nice pieces. I would be tempted by the Sub, if I liked that size. All the mods have been done for you. Perfect for us lazybones who can't anything more than glue a bezel insert on.

Massimo
They are nice pieces. I would be tempted by the Sub, if I liked that size. All the mods have been done for you. Perfect for us lazybones who can't anything more than glue a bezel insert on.

I must admit I can't bear to send my lovely new watch away for mods after I've received it, so that pre-mod thing does work for me. I thought you'd had one of everything somewhere along the way, Doc, so thanks for pitching in.

greg_r

Can't help you there, but I have to say that there's no way in hell I'd pay $750 for a rep. That'd be a good chunk of change towards a decent gen.

AllergyDoc

I had a BK Sub and GMT II. I sold the Sub but kept the "transformer." I don't care enough about accuracy to shell out over $400 for a rep.

I do like the transformer GMT, though. Very comfortable and classy.

NFleischer

i think $750 is too much for the YM. there's a big question if it even has a 'real eta' they

say it has a sea gull mov't. BK is very good- i have his TT blue sub for $400 and its really nice.

AllergyDoc

Best service, too. He fixed a bad date font on one of his watches that I bought from another member. For free.

Of course, the REAL question is, how did the too-low date font slip through his QC? :rolleyes:

JohnG

I am kind of off Rolexes now. I am going to sell all of mine (SSD included). I will miss them, but I see fakes ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE. I can understand why gen owners are pissed. You don't even know which are fake and which are real (most of the time) because most of them have at least 21J's and are decent enough that without leaning over to look at their watches, you can't tell. Sometimes I make assumptions based on all the typical clues - how they are dressed, what I know about their income, car they are driving, but as we know from here, just because you drive a Mercedes doesn't mean you aren't wearing a rep.

I don't want to pass my watches off as gen, but fuck, I don't want everyone to think "hmmmm, real or fake?" every time they notice my watch... and the subs (and Sea-Dweller is a sub to 99.9% of the population) are the most repped Rolexes there are...

Anyway, I through that phase now. I have evolved. BK's work is great, these watches are sure to be awesome. Too bad they are Rolexes...

Why doesn't WM9 rep the Breitling Pro-II bracelet?

:rolleyes:

AllergyDoc

John has entered Phase III of rep collecting.

greg_r

Phase I: Youthful enthusiasm

Phase II: Adult wisdom

Phase III: Senility

alphakazi

it's amazing what a good Breitling or two will do to a man

Massimo

Phase I: Youthful enthusiasm

Phase II: Adult wisdom

Phase III: Senility

Or is it, more simply:

Phase I: Rolex

Phase II: PAM

Phase III: Breitling

I'm somewhere between phases I and II, but at least I know where I'll end up.

greg_r

I fully intend to skip Phase 3 entirely. There's a few Breits I like, but they really don't inspire me.

I did Phase I: Rolex, Phase II: PAM and now I'm doing Phase III: More Rolex, More PAM, Tag, VC, and a whole bunch of other stuff, but don't bother me with Breitling unless they do a decent Flying B for less than $300 (the current price is higher than I'm willing to pay for a rep - much as I like the watch - I'd rather put that dough towards a vintage gen Rolex DJ). :rolleyes:

gottahaverolex
I notice BK has a few new offerings via WM9:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=196

|

|--- http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=89867

|--- http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=88771

New Sea Dweller, LV Sub and TT Sub. Quite pricey, although with discounts for pre-ordering. I've read good things here and like the look of these new toys, but does anyone have direct experience of WM9's stuff?

I got all excited when I saw SEADWELLER, I thought it was the DSSD but it's the crappy old SSD. Why would they waste their efforts on this watch instead of the DSSD? Seems kinda silly.

sconehead

Greg you need a BCE... :rolleyes:

AllergyDoc

I was thinking:

Phase I - Anything with Rolex on it ("I have a Rolex!")

Phase II - Since they're so cheap, more Rolexes, usually better quality

Phase III - "Everyone has a Rolex! I want something different." Usually after spending too much time on watch boards staring at other watch brands and letting yourself be influenced by others' likes and dislikes.

Phase IV - Tiring of buying and selling reps, and being disappointed. Willing to buy "super reps" now. The thinking is, "I'll just collect and wear a few really good reps."

Phase V - Getting very bored now. Selling off less-worn reps (even though you hate shipping watches by now).

Phase VI - Done with reps. Hangs on to favorites and lets the rest sit in watch box or gives them away. Favorites are usually Rolexes by now because, well, they fit and wear better and aren't so big as to attract unwanted attention. May buy a gen or two.

Initial brand doesn't have to be Rolex, but it usually is.

sconehead

Good call Doc. I'm currently waiting for BK to post some pics of the LV so I can check it out. $375 for it pre-ordered by Jan seems like a good deal to me considering it's got superlumed hands and dial (that's a $150 mod alone) just concerned that the 2824 will be a cloned movement not gen. Just bang on a gen crown and tube and it's good to go IMO... :rolleyes:

KBH

Damn AD, you pretty much nailed my feelings. I'm not sure where I am but I just gave away a couple of watches because I was too lazy to sell them (Phase 5). I took about 10 Rollies to work today and a couple are going for my cost to guys at work. Of course they have to wait till Friday (pay day). Unfortunately, one guy wanted my SSD I was wearing, which isn't for sale.

Just got my DSSD from your buddy Jackie Chen today. Damn nice but I'm already thinking it's too fat. I'm too used to the Sea Dweller and my DateJusts. Might have to turn it over to somebody else.

AllergyDoc
Damn AD, you pretty much nailed my feelings. I'm not sure where I am but I just gave away a couple of watches because I was too lazy to sell them (Phase 5). I took about 10 Rollies to work today and a couple are going for my cost to guys at work. Of course they have to wait till Friday (pay day). Unfortunately, one guy wanted my SSD I was wearing, which isn't for sale.

Just got my DSSD from your buddy Jackie Chen today. Damn nice but I'm already thinking it's too fat. I'm too used to the Sea Dweller and my DateJusts. Might have to turn it over to somebody else.

I'm in Phase V. :wub: Just about done. Dave's in Phase VI and has been for a while. He just hangs here to see what life tips he can pick up from me. :notworthy:

The DS is very fat, no doubt. At the end I almost never wore my SSD. It was just kinda bland.

iabounty

Doc....... Perhaps time IS on your side......... you just need a larger version and the "hands on" that goes with it...3197388649_3fb9abe925_o.jpg

jdavis III

The Doc is very perceptive. The five phases describe the typical rep collector to perfection. There is an additional phase that some collectors go through. It generally occurs around the time of phase III or IV, during which, interest in the inner workings of the watch draw the attention of the collector.

Tools are purchased and some basic skills are learned through reading and experimentation. His joy of the hobby is derived from the tinkering with his reps. If this phase develops fully, the collector will begin doing his own repairs, mods, and building Frankens. After which, purchased reps will never satisfy him without extensive modifications. As with the other phases, he will eventually tire of this also and drift into phase V or jump directly to phase VI.

Edited by jdavis III

AllergyDoc
The Doc is very perceptive. The five phases describe the typical rep collector to perfection. There is an additional phase that some collectors go through. It generally occurs around the time of phase III or IV, during which, interest in the inner workings of the watch draw the attention of the collector.

Tools are purchased and some basic skills are learned through reading and experimentation. His joy of the hobby is derived from the tinkering with his reps. If this phase develops fully, the collector will begin doing his own repairs, mods, and building Frankens. After which, purchased reps will never satisfy him without extensive modifications. As with the other phases, he will eventually tire of this also and drift into phase V or jump directly to phase VI.

Very true. I skipped this phase, having little interest in modding.

trailboss99
I fully intend to skip Phase 3 entirely. There's a few Breits I like, but they really don't inspire me.

Come on Greg, everyone needs at least one Navitimer!

Col.

JohnG

Phase I Rolex (usually sub - just look at the post count of all those fucking noobs in BK's preorder threads! :notworthy:)

Phase II Other - usually Omega/Tag/IWC

Phase II Advanced - Pam and/or Breitling (AP and Hublot are also considered phase II advanced)

Phase III waning interest

Phase IV you discover Gears of War/Call of Duty/HALO

Phase V you start calling your computer a "rig"

greg_r

Come on Greg, everyone needs at least one Navitimer!

Col.

Actually, there's 3 Breits that appeal to me and the Navi is one of 'em. On my list. The other two are the SOH and the Flying B (just not at $550).