Sign in to follow this  
BentleySharp

Jomashop. Gen Watch Grey Market?

NFleischer

Most if not all of these guys are located in Brooklyn. Like the Diamond and jewelry business in general they are often owned by Orthodox Jews.

That's why they close Friday/Saturday and the Jewish Holidays. I would not buy a Rolex or other real luxury brand from them usually because the lack of

warranty is not worth the 5% discount. For example I bought a Gen Rad 380 from The Watchery.com and it broke.

I had to bring it to the Panerai Boutique here, more than $400 to fix the keyless works! For brands like Ebel, B & M, Tissot, Seiko,

Hammy, etc. they can't be beat. Sometimes > 70% off. Ashford has some very good deals now, I was looking at this

Rado Chrono:

http://www.ashford.c...id?nid=nhm&so=6, any thoughts guys??

BentleySharp

Most if not all of these guys are located in Brooklyn. Like the Diamond and jewelry business in general they are often owned by Orthodox Jews.

That's why they close Friday/Saturday and the Jewish Holidays. I would not buy a Rolex or other real luxury brand from them usually because the lack of warranty

is not worth the 5% discount. For example I bought a Gen Rad 380 from The Watchery.com and it broke. I had to bring it to the Panerai Boutique here, more than $400 to fix

the keyless works! For brands like Ebel, B & M, Tissot, Seiko, Hammy they can't be beat. Sometimes > 70% off. Ashford has some very good deals now, I was looking at this

Rado Chrono:

That's your decision. I'm not trying to convince you to buy from these people or don't buy, But you realize their discounts go up to 60% in some cases. It's not just a meager 5% discount. In the case of A Lange or a breitling or whatnot , we're talking a difference of possibly $1000 to $1500. In my eyes, that is well worth having to use Joma's in-house warranty, which, according to the other people who have posted in this thread, they actually do honor.

Mike on a bike

Like it, case is different than most.

Mike on a bike

You can say what you want but I would venture they are good businessmen and I am sure most would agree. Will they honor warranties yup, to get more business.

Dendo

They do give good customer support but also do silly things. A friend bought a cartier in which they had stuck an older movement in a new model.....which my friend only realized 6 months afterwards when it broke down. The guy is an east coast lawyer so Saul at Jomashop argued initially and then sorted it out.

I would buy from them but be careful and if you need extra links etc the ADs might not want to work with you because of the grey import thing (my experience once). Discounts are great though.

BentleySharp

They do give good customer support but also do silly things. A friend bought a cartier in which they had stuck an older movement in a new model.....which my friend only realized 6 months afterwards when it broke down. The guy is an east coast lawyer so Saul at Jomashop argued initially and then sorted it out.

I would buy from them but be careful and if you need extra links etc the ADs might not want to work with you because of the grey import thing (my experience once). Discounts are great though.

Yep...These kinds of hinderances are to be expected in the grey-market world.

I guess you just have to weigh the pro's and cons and decide if saving $250 to $2000 is worth dealing with some minor inconvienences.

NFleischer

That's why they close Friday/Saturday and the Jewish Holidays. I would not buy a Rolex or other real luxury brand from them usually because the lack of warranty

is not worth the 5% discount. For example I bought a Gen Rad 380 from The Watchery.com and it broke. I had to bring it to the Panerai Boutique here, more than $400 to fix

the keyless works! For brands like Ebel, B & M, Tissot, Seiko, Hammy they can't be beat. Sometimes > 70% off. Ashford has some very good deals now, I was looking at this

Rado Chrono:

That's your decision. I'm not trying to convince you to buy from these people or don't buy, But you realize their discounts go up to 60% in some cases. It's not just a meager 5% discount. In the case of A Lange or a breitling or whatnot , we're talking a difference of possibly $1000 to $1500. In my eyes, that is well worth having to use Joma's in-house warranty, which, according to the other people who have posted in this thread, they actually do honor.

The 5% refers to Rolex. That's why I said I would never get a watch like that from them. But something like an Ebel 1911, for $1500 lets say, that's a different

story. BTW- I have bought from Joma and many of the other Gray Market places w/o problem (except the Radiomir which broke after 1 year)

sub4me

They've worked just fine for me, great prices, and very responsive. The watch I bought was brand new, no defects, with all boxes and paperwork. Most grey market sellers offer thier own warranty, so thats to be expected from a grey market seller. I would use them again.

Edited by sub4me

Wriggles

These kinds of hinderances are to be expected in the grey-market world.

This thread started cos you hadn't a clue who Jomashop were, an extremely well known reputable online seller, and now you're an expert on grey market? Gimme a break

solkryssare

Not all cheap though, not sure about pricing generally in the states but its usually way above here in the UK, they have the Rolex Exp2 white face for $7395 which is about £4900........only last Friday I did a deal on the very same watch at an authorized dealer here (there is NO other kind in the UK) for £4800 and that included two extra links!

Now if I bought that from Jomashop I would have to pay import duty of around 10% and then our jolly old VAT on top of the lot of 20%....not so much of a bargain here of £6500 or more, about a £1000 over list price!

Yes. Their X% off deals need to be taken with a grain of salt.

BentleySharp

These kinds of hinderances are to be expected in the grey-market world.

This thread started cos you hadn't a clue who Jomashop were, an extremely well known reputable online seller, and now you're an expert on grey market? Gimme a break

You do realize that the grey market exists outside of this little watch world that we're in, right?

Yes, I started this thread because I had not heard of Jomashop and was not aware of how the grey market works in regards to watches. But being a gun collector as well, I am very aware of the grey market and how it applies to firearms. Was trying to get some clarification to see if there were any major differences.

So, before you get critical, make sure you know what you're talking about, ok?

sub4me

You need to know the prices of what your buying, by that I mean the retail price at an authorized dealer. While Jomashop may appear to be a good deal its not always as good of a deal as you may negoiate with an authorized dealer.

Look, some of their pricing is great and its hard to beat them, as they do provide name brand new products and is a much safer bet then using ebay (fuck ebay, lol), but if your looking at only saving 10%-25% your better off going to your AD and haggling with them, getting the full AD warranty, and being able to hand pick your watch.

Mike on a bike

Good deal in most cases for conus buying but with EU VAT not so much. Before i buy any watch I research the net thoroughly on prices on one of these could have gotten 30-40 bucks cheaper but seller just did not hit me right (not private on line store) , I can assure you I got these very low. By the way the Hamilton (sharp different diver) and Glycine ( a joy on guys) in all good, Orient had in already fine. Waiting on Gevril not so sure on that style for me but price was to good to pass up been hawking it for months and the C. Ward direct from them of course.

NFleischer

I ended up pulling the trigger on this guy at Ashford.com. It was about 55% off, free shipping and 30 day return policy. I saw a similiar one at the AD and it

was really nice. Despite the Ceramic, it had a nice weight and size to it. Also as part of the Swatch group, has Valjoux base chrono. with 60 hour PR.

http://store.us.rado...0965-3-010.html

BentleySharp

I ended up pulling the trigger on this guy at Ashford.com. It was about 55% off, free shipping and 30 day return policy. I saw a similiar one at the AD and it

was really nice. Despite the Ceramic, it had a nice weight and size to it. Also as part of the Swatch group, has Valjoux base chrono. with 60 hour PR.

What a beauty!

Yea, I saw a Rado commercial on TV the other day. Yesterday, I think it was. It was airing during primetime on a major American network station: CBS, NBC, Fox...One of those....Just thought it was Interesting, that's all, And your new watch? Very Interesting :)

NFleischer

Thank you,Bentley. It seems that Rado wants to get into the mechanical men's watch market more. I'll post wristies soon.

Kcore

WOW, that's a beauty and for $1,300 very impressive!

Can't wait to see pics and a review.

Wear in good health!

NFleischer

Thanks mate, I'll post a wristie soon. Arrived in 1 day!

sub4me

I've also used Ashford in the past, never a problem and some great deals if you buy at the right time. Also if you ask for a lower price they will usually provide a additional discount just because you asked.

NFleischer

DSCN0318_zps9d6d56b9.jpgDSCN0316_zps0523729b.jpgDSCN0319_zps69278f73.jpg

Viola, a few of my crappy shots. Del or Sardonix, I'm not. Also I showed the Rado next to my 45.5mm CrPO to show that it's quite a beast.

Again, a really great watch period. For the money, exceptional. Has the feel and finish of a Gen Omega for example.

BentleySharp

Agreed. I think your Rado looks every part a finely built, quality finished, precision timepiece.

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Kcore

CONGRATS NF, she is a beauty! Wear it in good health.

NFleischer

Thank you guys!

Update: Ashford is now having a super sale on Hamiltons- 50-60% off a lot of popular models.

Free overnight delivery No tax -outside NY State

ag69

I've bought watches from them without any issues. Also picked up Wolf Designs Heritage 8 Piece 2.1 Winder for about $700. The MSRP for these winders is around $3500. Site is legit. You can also try looking at authenticwatches.com for great deals.

Patron Saint of Heartache

Wow rado is gorgeous! How much is it?