Sign in to follow this  
marressey

Old watches on TD websites

marressey

Over a period of time now I've had the same experience with two different TD:s whan I've contacted them about certain watches.

Not to name names, but the watches are on both their websites, and the option to put them in your shopping bag is all there.

But wise from previous experiences I've contacted the TD's before ordering, just to check that the watches I'm after are indeed available.

Same reply a couple of times now.

"This watch is not being made anymore. Please choose a different watch".

So I guess my question is:

Why does the TD's have so many watches posted on their sites that you actually cannot buy (from them or anyone else)? is this a noob question? If so, forgive me.

greg_r

Firstly, they don't always know that they're not available until you try and order (or THEY try and order from the wholesaler/factory). The factories don't keep 'em informed of what is in stock and what isn't (remember, dealers do not hold stock).

Secondly it takes time and effort to maintain a website. These are small operations - often, there just isn't the time to keep the site up to date. That's why those of us who have been in the hobby for a while tend not to buy off the page - we'll drop an email to our chosen dealer to enquire about availability and buy that way.

Kleen™

Remember that TD's websites are a display - not a stocklist...

Jonnybaws

Firstly, they don't always know that they're not available until you try and order (or THEY try and order from the wholesaler/factory). The factories don't keep 'em informed of what is in stock and what isn't (remember, dealers do not hold stock).

Secondly it takes time and effort to maintain a website. These are small operations - often, there just isn't the time to keep the site up to date. That's why those of us who have been in the hobby for a while tend not to buy off the page - we'll drop an email to our chosen dealer to enquire about availability and buy that way.

Unlike Greg, I'm still a novice when it comes to this hobby, but I agree with the above!

Was after a certain watch, its a Rep of an older watch and if I ordered off the site without enquiring, I'd have to have waited 6-8 weeks, a simple email to the TD before ordering will give you a better ETA for the watch you want, some may not be in production anymore!

marressey

Remember that TD's websites are a display - not a stocklist...

Yes, I know that of course. Just struck me when I got such lightning fast replies from both the TD's that the watches weren't being "made anymore".