Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

Cannon pinion & stem height asian 2836 vs Swiss 2824 H4

ShovelnTC

Hi Guys,

Well I'm still VERY green to watch tinkering but I'm planning to swap out my LV Sub from A2836 to Swiss 2824.

Two reasons for this but primarily to give me a cheaper movement to practice service on.

I have done some research but am still unsure of stem height and cannon pinion number.

BK & TC mention the #4 cannon pinion which I believe gives a higher hand height (closer to Gen).

So my main concerns would be will I have possible different stem heights between the 2836 & 2824 (do the movements come with different heights")

And how do I identify the H4 cannon pinion as most ETA 2824's I have found for sale don't specify?

All help and advise much appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.

ShovelnTC

No one know???? Or are my questions just too dumb??

From what I have found since my OP I don't expect a problem with the stem height as the 2836 & 2824 are supposed to be virtually identical except for the day function but I still can't find any listing of pinion # detail in any sale listings for the movements.

KO67

Not dumb at all. There should be no difference in stem height between an a2834 and a eta 2824. Also, cannon pinion height does not impact stem height ,but does impact clearance of the crystal. There s no way to tell if the set up is the h4 or not if you are buying a movement. If i were you i would buy a tc 2824 from tc.

ShovelnTC

Thanks KO67,

That answers my questions.

Yes I am considering one of TC's movements as it is the high cannon pinion and Mike (jerkstore) has recommended a member for swiss movements so I have a few options.

I guess it doesn't really matter if i get the short or long pinion as I presume it will fit as it is going in a 16610 Rollie which is what TC builds with his movements and most of the reps come with the short cannon pinion so either will work but was preferring the high just to get that little bit more Gen like.

Cheers, Mark.

bowtiefanatc

I can tell you that my TC has a much "nicer" hand stack than my BK Sub-C. I'm contemplating having my BK modded to a #4 CP to improve the hand stack just for aesthetic purposes. I think my TC spoiled me in the terms of accuracy but I still think that my BK is quite amazing.

If you want to do a conversion, it will take at least 4 new parts that must be fitted to your movement.

ShovelnTC

I can tell you that my TC has a much "nicer" hand stack than my BK Sub-C. I'm contemplating having my BK modded to a #4 CP to improve the hand stack just for aesthetic purposes. I think my TC spoiled me in the terms of accuracy but I still think that my BK is quite amazing.

If you want to do a conversion, it will take at least 4 new parts that must be fitted to your movement.

What are the 4 parts???

If my Sub-C doesn't sell I'd like to do the same but the blue lume hands are hard to get with the narrow base hour hand and the lume is one of the highlights of the Sub-C!.

bowtiefanatc

If this site is correct then it is these 4 gears

pu6y6ahe.jpg

e7e7ysy4.jpg

u6epu8er.jpg

u5e2esyd.jpg

KO67

Unless i am missing something, I think the h4 mods i have done involve 3 parts: cannon pinion, seconds (4th) wheel/pinion and the hour wheel. What us the 4th part?

bowtiefanatc

Unless i am missing something, I think the h4 mods i have done involve 3 parts: cannon pinion, seconds (4th) wheel/pinion and the hour wheel. What us the 4th part?

I was going off of the site that I posted above. it mentioned that there were 4 parts, the extra part being the 4th wheel which is needed needed on top of the other 3 wheels

ShovelnTC

Thanks guys this is great stuff for my very steep learning curve.