Sign in to follow this  
Silverspeed

How crazy must you be to want the new ceramic Sub.....

Silverspeed

How dumb must you be to pay nearly double for the new ceramic sub.....

List price for the ceramic LV Sub €5.900,- ......according to some there is

a waiting list for nearly 2 years.....

If you don't want to wait that long here's a golden opportunity..... :D

It can be yours for only.....€9.950,- ;)

u13049t1278701146-1.jpg

link for the sale: http://sales.r-l-x.de/en/sales/offers/deta...ageNum_qListe=1

Member X

Madness.

I'll wait for the rep :D

AustinTech

My AD was telling me they have a ceramic version the will cost 17,500 USD.

Insane.

The ceramic craze is just a fad. Nothing at all special about the stuff.

JoeyB

Ceramic, and a decent clasp, was the 'finishing touch' that the GMT really needed to justify being a $4000 watch for me. The stamped aluminum insert and flimsy stamped clasp just cheapened the look of the watch. While the 16710 sold for less than $4000 most of it's life, adding these two improvements was not $2000+ worth that raised the price to over $6,000 for the 116710. We all know that western tech R&D costs money, and most of us that are capitalists understand that. But when we see that the rep manufacturers can make and sell the same insert, the same clasp, and in some cases the same quality watch for under $400, it makes a sane person wonder.

I've built one GMT, and am working on 2 - 3 others, and used a movement that is considered by the experts as at least the equal of the Rolex movement. I'm not building to sell, but to own and enjoy myself. Depending on which model I build and compare to, I'll enjoy the $5,500 to $44,500 I didn't spend on their watch, and have the satisfaction knowing that I built it besides.

Is the GMT or Submariner ceramic worth up to $400? IMO, you bet your ass. Even the 21j models look so very close that no one but one of us could tell, and they function quite well. The Asian 2836-2 is a proven movement too - preferred by some of our mosr respected members here, and the Swiss ETA 2836-2 is obviously a very good one. And you can tweak your watch to no end, shaping crown guards, adding genuine crown, tube, crystal etc., and even change the movement to a genuine Swiss ETA 2893-2/ETA 2892-2 that is the equal of Rolex and still be easily under $700.

Other than for re-sale to make a quick buck, I really don't think I'd buy a genuine Rolex at half price. It ain't worth it.

k3rm87

True Joey...

Really can't justify spending that much money on a watch when you can get such good reps these days

AustinTech

Good points, Joey.

The fact that the rep factories can make the ceramic bezels so well just kills the price of the gen ceramic watches. I mean you can get the 21j version of the GMT IIc for about $130!!! SO how much does ceramic cost? Answer, jack shit.

And what is the advantage of ceramic? It can shatter, has shattered on some gens. It's shiny. OK. WHat else?

KinCaidk
Good points, Joey.

The fact that the rep factories can make the ceramic bezels so well just kills the price of the gen ceramic watches. I mean you can get the 21j version of the GMT IIc for about $130!!! SO how much does ceramic cost? Answer, jack shit.

And what is the advantage of ceramic? It can shatter, has shattered on some gens. It's shiny. OK. WHat else?

Actually - You can get a Asian clone 2836 at 130 USD.

JoeyB

Actually you can get a 21j GMT for $65 as of yesterday from Timesshop.

I think the ceramic looks best of all the inserts that Rolex has had, it pit the 'finishing touch' on the GMT to my eye. The stamped aluminim insert just looked too cheap to be on a $4000 and up watch, just like the stamped clasp. They are brittle and will crack/chip if you fuck with it. But they are far more durable and don't scratch up as previous inserts do.

All in all, I think it's a very opportune time to buy reps. As was said, they are far too close for anyone to know the difference, and you can use any movement you like to achieve equal quality. The gen makers know this, and I'd think they will try to shut it down soon.

AustinTech

Joey, do you think they will step their efforts to find and prosecute rep makers?

JoeyB
Joey, do you think they will step their efforts to find and prosecute rep makers?

No, I don't know that they can. They might try international agreements, but it'd be easier for them to shut off parts supply, like ETA. And pressuring governments to enforce their customs policies.

TAGster

I agree with all of you.

In fact, I was talking with wifey the other day and we concluded that in these days it doesn´t make sense buy gen watches having a very good reps available. We were the kind of persons who liked to buy gen watches, but not anymore, the available reps are so good quality that we rather spend the money we used spent in watches, on travel, cloths or going out to have nice dinners.

This topic makes sense with a topic I opened a few days ago, where I was wondering how much does a Rolex Store would be selling in one day, so, with that prices I think if they even sell just one watch a month, the bills can be paid, he he.

So reading your comments another question comes to my mind: is the manufacturing process of a Rolex watch really so expensive and/or exclusive in order to price their pieces that high?. Don´t you think is more branding that product what the people pays for a Rolex?.

Anyway, I think I will order a GMT from our dealers, I am not a Rolex fan, but I´ve seen so many pieces you guys have, that now I want one, he he.

Cheers mates!

greg_r

Nope - manufacturing cost of a gen Sub is around $600. The markup is obscene imho. Back when I was in manufacturing, that cost would end up in a product that retailed for around $1200 - $1400 plus packaging, shipping costs and tax.

Oddly, though, the rep boards seem to drive a lot of people to gen ownership - a very high percentage of long-term members here (and on the other boards) own gen Rolex/PAMs/whatever...

Member X
Nope - manufacturing cost of a gen Sub is around $600.

What, even using that special rolex steel? :cry: LoL :baghead:

I don't know for certain but I think you're right on that amount. Stainless steel is cheap, milling is pretty cheap, sapphire is cheap, ceramic is cheap, gaskets are super-cheap, and the fact they're assembled by robots/computers (I think I read that the other day?) must make them a lot cheaper to produce once the initial outlay is recovered.

Only the movement really costs a bit more as it's inhouse (isn't it?) so will have had a lot of expenditure on getting it right and testing etc. I guess they also need to test the DSSD etc to silly depths so that must cost a bit, but they can't have anything different to the reps in them, can they? If the reps are using blueprints available online, there's no real reason why a rep couldn't be as good as a gen, is there, with a bit more QC?

JoeyB
Nope - manufacturing cost of a gen Sub is around $600.

When I got my first rep, President SS Day-Date, pearl dial with diamond markers quartz for $25, a genuine Rolex Submariner was $600.00usd. My Sergeant-Major bought one to celebrate his promotion. We all thought that was nuts money to spend on a watch that was likely to get beat up, mudded over and maybe shot. That was 1980.

Silverspeed

The green ceramic Sub sold in just a few days......

Today the first black ceramic Sub hits the grey market

001(38).jpg

Link for the sale http://precisionwatches.eu/rolex/rolex-sub.../prod_1377.html

Go figure when prices were released after Basel 2010 the black ceramic Sub was priced at €5.490

....listprice is now €5.890,-

AustinTech

When you buy a gen sub you are getting a great watch, that is for sure, but most of what you are paying seems to go towards the brand image.

I don't mind paying a premium for a name, provided it is reasonable. $5,200 on a $6,000 watch is too much for a name. Especially when the name is available from China. :baghead: