Sign in to follow this  
seclark007

"The Watch" If you reserved, are you still interested?

The Watch - Still interested?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still interested in the RWG watch you reserved?

• Yes, without question
    • No, I've waited too long
    • Yes, but only if I can get it by this Christmas
    • Not only no, but FUCK NO

Soldie

This, and similar threads are painful. I will get mine. And... Look forward to the end of these threads, which, I unfortunately read. Luth has always been cordial to me.

RichardMiami

Number 18 black and I am OUT.

[puts down Moderator hat]

This watch had meaning to me in that it was representative of the COMMUNITY which RWG is. I give up time to contribute to this community. I value MANY members here as friends, and I value many others as fellow obsessives in this hobby we share. I have met many in person in several countries, and I intend to continue to meet many more.

Community is what is important to me, not watches. I value sharing knowledge, helping noobs, poking fun at those who can handle it. I value our diversity and our camaraderie.

I value our agreements and our spats.

The RWG watch is no longer a representative of that community, even though the initials may be on the dial. I have met George in person, shared a meal with him and his wife, and enjoyed his company. But he has sorely disappointed me with this. First, he removed himself from the community because he didn't like being corrected. NONE of us is exempt from making mistakes, and his withdrawal from RWG was simply childish. His conduct on RWI has added more childish to that, as he has been disrepectful and abusive of people I care about.

He has disrespected Solk, in failure to keep the principle designer of the watch up to date on developments.

Lastly, even if I could get past the removal issue and his mistreatment of those i consider friends,, he has disrespected the ENTIRE RWG membership by not showing us the respect of an explanation for the delays in the watch. I don't want a PM to a member about this. I expect him to come here, like an adult, and explain himself, and why he has let us all down. If he is out money, I am sorry for him. But that is not what I am addressing.

I no longer value the watch for these reasons. If it ever is produced, I trust someone else will enjoy number 18. Not me.

cannon_fodder1010

I'm definitely still interested. I buy watches because of how they look. The drama with this watch doesn't affect their appearance. My number is in my sig.

Tits McGee

Number 18 black and I am OUT.

[puts down Moderator hat]

This watch had meaning to me in that it was representative of the COMMUNITY which RWG is. I give up time to contribute to this community. I value MANY members here as friends, and I value many others as fellow obsessives in this hobby we share. I have met many in person in several countries, and I intend to continue to meet many more.

Community is what is important to me, not watches. I value sharing knowledge, helping noobs, poking fun at those who can handle it. I value our diversity and our camaraderie.

I value our agreements and our spats.

The RWG watch is no longer a representative of that community, even though the initials may be on the dial. I have met George in person, shared a meal with him and his wife, and enjoyed his company. But he has sorely disappointed me with this. First, he removed himself from the community because he didn't like being corrected. NONE of us is exempt from making mistakes, and his withdrawal from RWG was simply childish. His conduct on RWI has added more childish to that, as he has been disrepectful and abusive of people I care about.

He has disrespected Solk, in failure to keep the principle designer of the watch up to date on developments.

Lastly, even if I could get past the removal issue and his mistreatment of those i consider friends,, he has disrespected the ENTIRE RWG membership by not showing us the respect of an explanation for the delays in the watch. I don't want a PM to a member about this. I expect him to come here, like an adult, and explain himself, and why he has let us all down. If he is out money, I am sorry for him. But that is not what I am addressing.

I no longer value the watch for these reasons. If it ever is produced, I trust someone else will enjoy number 18. Not me.

+100000

Well said Richard. You hit all the points I missed. My sentiments exactly.

I now see how little this watch was about RWG rather than how much it was about Luthier.

gottahaverolex

I'm glad you are all finally coming to your senses. I kept my mouth shut but I saw this entire thing coming from the start. George is a arrogant self righteous prick. I'd never buy a fucking thing from him or that had anything to do with him. He gave a big fuck you to every one of you by leaving the forum. It should have ended there. If you still like the watch, great. If this whole ordeal had made you hate it, great. Huge props to Sol for busting his ass on the project, you sir are awesome. But, the watch is now soiled and anyone who wants that ugly fucking thing deserves it. You should all leave him high and dry and eating every cent of his failed project. Pay back is a bitch.

seclark007

The purpose of this thread is not to shit on anyone; nor is it to say what has already been said in the 18490034 other threads on the issue, While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I reiterate: what number did you reserve...are you still interested in purchasing the watch?

The honest responses to the question are greatly appreciated. If the poll results are to be believed, more people are no longer interested in making the purchase than are still on board. The loyal folks are definitely making their voices heard.

I'm sorry if anyone takes offense to this thread. There has been enough parody of this issue. Distinguished members of this site, past and present, poured effort into this project - irrespective of your personal feelings, this remains fact. Many more members became emotionally attached to the project and saw it as a rallying point for our community; not everyone of course. That emotion is evident in the legitimate responses herein. People are disappointed - committed customers are losing faith, in some cases dropping the project all together.

It was suggested that your opinions stated here will not count for anything, and that a poll should be started on RWI. I don't advocate civil disobedience :D If this makes you want to ask the hard questions of the man himself, you know where he is....get at it!

gB.

Not sure if serious...

:unsure:

P4GTR

The purpose of this thread is not to shit on anyone; nor is it to say what has already been said in the 18490034 other threads on the issue, While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I reiterate: what number did you reserve...are you still interested in purchasing the watch?

The honest responses to the question are greatly appreciated. If the poll results are to be believed, more people are no longer interested in making the purchase than are still on board. The loyal folks are definitely making their voices heard.

I'm sorry if anyone takes offense to this thread. There has been enough parody of this issue. Distinguished members of this site, past and present, poured effort into this project - irrespective of your personal feelings, this remains fact. Many more members became emotionally attached to the project and saw it as a rallying point for our community; not everyone of course. That emotion is evident in the legitimate responses herein. People are disappointed - committed customers are losing faith, in some cases dropping the project all together.

It was suggested that your opinions stated here will not count for anything, and that a poll should be started on RWI. I don't advocate civil disobedience :D If this makes you want to ask the hard questions of the man himself, you know where he is....get at it!

Good point, and question noted boss.

The answer is- I don't remember getting a number. And, i'm honestly not sure if I would purchase it at this point. :facepalm:

I wish I could be more black and white, but the fact is, that is a characteristic that should come from the obverse side of the coin first.

HeavyKrush

Yes, still interested. Not sure of my number though. It still looks a stunner to me and would gladly wear it. Hope it happens but not losing sleep if it doesn't.

J.Eric

Yes, I am still in for both of mine....

277 Black & 278 Blue

Frankt8242

I jumped in at the beginning, but after a few months, lost interest...I let Luth know, and he had no problems about it...I don't think he'll have any problems with being overstocked..Enough new blood has come aboard to pick up the slack...

Besides....I finally realized if it ain't a rep, I really have no interest in owning one...I have a drawer full of gen's that I never wear already!!

I hope Luth doesn't end up taking a bath on the project, regardless of his personality peculiarities....We all have that malady, or we wouldn't be involved in this peculiar hobby!! :giggle: :giggle:

oscarmadfish

blue 5 black 55 and yes i would still buy them

Frankt8242

I'm glad you are all finally coming to your senses. I kept my mouth shut but I saw this entire thing coming from the start. George is a arrogant self righteous prick. I'd never buy a fucking thing from him or that had anything to do with him. He gave a big fuck you to every one of you by leaving the forum. It should have ended there. If you still like the watch, great. If this whole ordeal had made you hate it, great. Huge props to Sol for busting his ass on the project, you sir are awesome. But, the watch is now soiled and anyone who wants that ugly fucking thing deserves it. You should all leave him high and dry and eating every cent of his failed project. Pay back is a bitch.

I'm curious as to why you bother hanging out in a rep watch forum if you no longer own any of them..??

Given your geographic location, one might guess that you'd be more interested in a vintage Hamilton collectors group...

BigsCG

I'm curious as to why you bother hanging out in a rep watch forum if you no longer own any of them..??

Given your geographic location, one might guess that you'd be more interested in a vintage Hamilton collectors group...

gottahaverolex is good people. gen sites blow. rwg is where it's at. vintage hamilton's are kick ass. i'm glad i don't have to be interested in watches from my geographic location. wait, what

Talk_zps9aede2cb.gif

currently #69 black w/ extra claps

trailboss99

Maybe I'm an asshole, maybe I'm a huge asshole (as some tell me, lol), but I always tell you the truth as I see it, like it or not.

asshole

Hey! Get it right, Sub does nooooothing by halves, he's a huuuuuge asshole!

from the design pictures the watch looks nice, but I missed the train and to be honest relieved I did so, I think its something that would end up sat in a drawer while I carry on wearing my other watches, cant imagine wearing it and someone asking "whats the RWG stand for" don't imagine it would happen often, but it could happen

Anyone asked you what IWC stands for recently? No? Thought so . . .

Thats a fair question and I didn't mean a rep as in its a copy of somthing already being produced as in IP, what I meant by calling it a rep is the watch was supposed to be made at Luth rep sellers (Mary) facility in China (Luth posted some pic of a rep factory on RWI claiming that was the place the watch was to be made), I jokingly refered to it as his Swiss made China rep factory.

Um, no. The watch is not being made in a rep factory, it is in fact being made by a factory that makes the cases for at least two Swiss brands. Not sure where you got the idea it was being made at a rep factory. The only connection Mary has is she is handling the distribution.

Frankt8242

gottahaverolex is good people. gen sites blow. rwg is where it's at. vintage hamilton's are kick ass. i'm glad i don't have to be interested in watches from my geographic location. wait, what

Talk_zps9aede2cb.gif

currently #69 black w/ extra claps

He lives in Lancaster Pa. according to his profile...That's here the old Hamilton factory was located.......I as in no way casting expursions towards him...(I'm not crazy!!) :giggle: :giggle:

Edited by Frankt8242

elconquistador

Lancaster, PA. For dacades where the best watches in the world were made.

uhy9a2e3.jpg

BigsCG

Lancaster, PA. For dacades where the best watches in the world were made.

uhy9a2e3.jpg

a 921 and 3 917s? Those are gorgeous, especially what looks like to me a 921 in the middle. All pilots, no PAMs? More pics!

Wriggles

Valid points and certainly an argument to be made for doing this, however my own humble opinion would be that this is still a watch that represents this forum and this community irrespective of whether George left or not, Sol was heavily involved and for that reason it still has meaning for members here.

Crucially for me, if we did decide to abandon the watch en masse it would be going back on a promise we made to buy something representative of this community, and it would leave a prior member possibly in a precarious financial position purely for spiteful reasons. That would drag us down to the same level of pettiness that saw George leave, and it would not be representative of this community's heart.

I have no issue with people deciding to give up their reservation, in fact recently I've given it some thought myself. I also have no problem with your idea, though as stated above I have a different view on it.

This community is better than that, you among many people here give a lot by offering to fix anyone's Pam for free. THAT is what this community represents and THAT is why the watch should still hold meaning for many.

Everyone should be free to do what they wish without recrimination from anyone here, yes we've assholes aplenty, and great members a plenty too. But that's what makes this place fun.

If it wasn't for this project, Sol may not have started his Diver project. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't, but I still think the RWG has some merit and I hope at some point it will happen.

It may end up a pile of shite that ends up in pieces in a box, or it could be stellar. Isn't that worth waiting for as well?

Now, in the infamous words of JohnG - "Group 69?" ;)

gtwc

Blue 247.

Not enough options in the vote - how about

'I'm not sure at the moment'?

Seriously unsure whether to wait (with baited breath) or just say 'fuck it' and ignore.

Arism

If I remember correctly; 080 Black.

Not so sure at the moment. Looks a decent watch but not as enthused about it as I was in the beginning. If it comes out, great but if it doesn't it won't make much difference to me as we haven't paid anything so far.

black263

I'm in. I'm frankly not interested in the name on the watch, nor on the politics. If it's good looking I'll go for it. It has cost me nothing, I like the way it looks, and although I only have one on order in Black (I'll leave you to guess the number), I'd go for a blue as well if it became available.

As far as the delay is concerned, I have a wish list of watches that I made up when I joined just over a year ago. This watch then joined it. I still haven't bought some of the watches on the list, but I'm not going to bin them just because I've been waiting a year and haven't got round to buying them yet.

elconquistador

a 921 and 3 917s? Those are gorgeous, especially what looks like to me a 921 in the middle. All pilots, no PAMs? More pics!

I have a 921, but that is a 923. No Pams, that is what crapy eta movements are for.

y8ydurej.jpg

pe6ane7u.jpg

Nisv

Well, so far there's about a 60% dropout of those who reserved the watch(es) and even though it ends up being 50/50 Luth will still be losing quite alot on the whole deal, adding to the already high costs for the molds etc.

Let's hope he sees the trend in this poll and comes to his senses for both his and our (we who still want a watch) own sake.

black263

Given the number of new members here since the list "closed", I doubt he will have trouble selling them.