Sign in to follow this  
aerostu

Hello from New UK member

aerostu

Hello one and all!

My name is Stuart from the UK and after stumbling accross this excellent site and forum I have finally decided to take the plunge in to the world of reps. I have long been tempted to purchase a good quality rep, however like many I have been slightly sceptical about parting with my hard earned cash only to receive a cheap and nasty 'high grade rolox' which lasts for about a week or two or worse still an empty box!(or on second thoughts, that might actually be a better result!)

I have been reading through some of the many articles and posts on the forum and have to say that the information is top rate and has certainly eased some of my concerns that there are some honest dealers out there offering good quality reps at realistic prices.

My only decision now is which model to go for first and who to buy from. I am already compiling a list (its becoming very addictive already!) and I am leaning towards a good quality Submariner or a DSSD perhaps with Swiss ETA movement and I have seen some good feedback for Mary at Watch International and Lwrence at HOS.

Any advice on selecting the right model of either watch and also reccomendations for who I should purchase from will be gratefully received.

Stuart

barkingtoad

Welcome

dingle

Welcome Stuart. Both dealers you listed are good so no worries there. If it was me I would choose the sub first. Make sure it fits your wrist. The DSSD is known to wear VERY large. :popcorn:

Ska

+1 to dingle. (who incidentally helped me find mary when I was a lowly noob here)

As another UK based rep collector I can say that Mary is truly TOP rate.

Fantastic service, generous, and she's also known for her quality control being second to none.

I recently bought a Submariner (noobfactory) from her and although it hasn't arrived yet the photos look fantastic (and I'm an anal S.O.B as most here will attest)

You can find pics here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6520

So in that regard I can definitely recommend her as a brilliant dealer.

My first watch from Mary was an Omega UPO Chronograph you can find my review of it here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=5863

You can find my review of Mary's service from the a first-time-buyer perspective here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=5767

Hope that helps.

All the best

Ska

aerostu

Thanks for the early replies (very fast indeed!)

I am looking forward to starting my collection and I think the Sub will be the one to start it off! Is there a noticeable difference between the Asian and the more expensive Swiss ETA models?

Also have any of the other UK members had any difficulties with shipping / receiving goods?

Cheers

Stuart

dingle
Thanks for the early replies (very fast indeed!)

I am looking forward to starting my collection and I think the Sub will be the one to start it off! Is there a noticeable difference between the Asian and the more expensive Swiss ETA models?

Also have any of the other UK members had any difficulties with shipping / receiving goods?

Cheers

Stuart

Other than the price. NO. .....but that is just my opinion. I'm sure others will think differently :popcorn:

I will let the UK members chime in on the second question to be for sure, but I don't think there is much to worry about there either.

Ska

Ok

1. If you're going to get a sub (or any rep to be honest) my advice would be go for the best movement you can. Mary sells various Subs but the best ones (like in the link I sent) come with Swiss ETA movements (or clones of ETA movements at the very least) The real benefit of these are the high oscillation speed of the escapement (or beat rate) which makes the second hand move in smaller, faster increments around the dial. This is discernible as a smoother "sweep" which mimics the genuine movement much more closely than an asian movement.

2. The UK has one of the most lenient customs in Europe (and the world) when it comes to Rep watches. For some reason they just don't really seem to care. Thats not to say there are never issues but its very rare and you have a better chance than almost anywhere else of receiving your watch safely.

aerostu

Thanks guys, really helpful comments!

skintrade

hi and welcome :D

coolin

hey m8e and welcome to the ultimate resource

aerostu

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Am finding the site really helpful and I look forward to posting some pics of my new collection as it grows!

Fiddo

Hello Stuart! :lol:

Good to meet you!

Luthier
Welcome Stuart. Both dealers you listed are good so no worries there. If it was me I would choose the sub first. Make sure it fits your wrist. The DSSD is known to wear VERY large. :lol:

Depends on wrist size. On my 8" wrist DSSD looks just perfect, and Sub - like a lady's watch.

GC

Welcome,

Grab a beer & pull up a chair... now the fun begins!