Sign in to follow this  
themoo-12

Would this be taking it too far?

themoo-12

I have been debating on saving up for a gen forever. I decided to put my name down on the list for a BK WM9 lv sub. I am going to get it modded with a gen crystal, crown, and bezel. I would also like to take it a step farther and get a gen movement in there as well. I know the movement retails for about $1700, but even with all the mods etc, im looking at about at $2500 near gen rolex. Compared to the $6400 gen price tag I dont think its that bad of a deal. I even have a buddy thats willing to give me his gen sub band (scratched to hell of course :) ) or am I simply taking it too far? Thanks :o

gB.

Yes, you are taking it too far...lol. But I completely understand the logic. More than 6k for a SS watch is just crazy... I've read that the new gen SS subs with ceramic bezels that are out this fall in the US are expected to be close to 9k list price. That's CRAZY for a SS watch...lol :):D :o

:suicide::Suicide::suicide::Suicide::suicide::Suicide::suicide::Suicide:

Silverspeed

Yes...you're nuts :)

but really yes that is madness...a LNIB Sub LV are around for $4k

GC

imo...the ETA movt that WM9 uses are just as good as the Gen movt. No need to upgrade there unless you want to fool an AD when he opens it up...which of course is pointless.

If you do it because you want a Gen movt...fair play, but imo it's money that could buy several nice reps or one nice used Gen.

JoeyB

More than most things, these watches are worth exactly what someone will pay for them. If it is worth it to you to have a 'near genuine' watch, then do it. It is not worth it to me, so I won't do it.

After learning here for a few years now I am moving further and further away from 'gen this, gen that...' Most of the reps we see here in the under $400 range are very good reps, and can be identified as a rep only by opening the case, or by one of our own members that only looks at watches through a loupe or macro shot.

For me, the only person that gets close enough to determine if the second hand sweep is right, or the handstack is correct, has no interest in my watch, and I thank her for that.

I've found that genuine horologists rate the ETA 2892-2/ETA 2893-2 movements at least the equal of their Rolex counterparts, and some think they are better.

And I've learned that building my own replica that passes muster here on this site by these experts gives me more pleasure than buying a rep or genuine built by someone else.

For $6,000 I can buy/build about 20 reps. Or, I can spend $3,000 on the 10 watches I have and the rest on more important things to me. I am one of the older members here, and already have my home and two Mercedes, and a couple of trips to Hawaii a year, all while wearing my Rolex, or Pam, or Breitling, or Omega depending on my mood.

This is what works for me. Everyone else should do what's best for themselves.

pollux1
More than most things, these watches are worth exactly what someone will pay for them. If it is worth it to you to have a 'near genuine' watch, then do it. It is not worth it to me, so I won't do it.

After learning here for a few years now I am moving further and further away from 'gen this, gen that...' Most of the reps we see here in the under $400 range are very good reps, and can be identified as a rep only by opening the case, or by one of our own members that only looks at watches through a loupe or macro shot.

For me, the only person that gets close enough to determine if the second hand sweep is right, or the handstack is correct, has no interest in my watch, and I thank her for that.

I've found that genuine horologists rate the ETA 2892-2/ETA 2893-2 movements at least the equal of their Rolex counterparts, and some think they are better.

And I've learned that building my own replica that passes muster here on this site by these experts gives me more pleasure than buying a rep or genuine built by someone else.

For $6,000 I can buy/build about 20 reps. Or, I can spend $3,000 on the 10 watches I have and the rest on more important things to me. I am one of the older members here, and already have my home and two Mercedes, and a couple of trips to Hawaii a year, all while wearing my Rolex, or Pam, or Breitling, or Omega depending on my mood.

This is what works for me. Everyone else should do what's best for themselves.

Well said Joey, couldn't have put it better myself.

AustinTech

Just get the WM9 and be happy with it. It's the best rep out there. No other mods are needed.

Don't go down the wormhole. Gen parts or not, your modded watch will never be gen.

AllergyDoc

:) I've been saying that for years.

I agree on the gen ETA, tho I am no expert on Rolex movements. Remember, though, it'll cost you a lot more to have a gen Rolex movement serviced than an ETA. Also, consider that you may tire of this watch and wish to sell it. It'll be very difficult to get anywhere near $2,500 for a rep because, well, it's a rep.

Someone sells a BK LV Sub at least once a month.

KBH

I got 3 Rolex DJ's that are all gen parts except the movements and I sure wouldn't spend $1500 to swap one from a Eta unless I planned on selling it on eBay for full gen price.

Which I would never do. :)

dingle
Just get the WM9 and be happy with it. It's the best rep out there. No other mods are needed.

Don't go down the wormhole. Gen parts or not, your modded watch will never be gen.

+1

In the end it will still be rep

JohnG

No matter how much you mod it, it will still be a Rolex.

:)

Member X

lol :lol:

If you want to do it, do it - it's only money, you can't take it with you :)

I wouldn't personally do it as I can think of many many more things $1700 would be better spent on, especially when the ETA sweep is indistinguishable from the gen.

In the end, you can always split the gen parts out and ebay them so the loss wouldn't be total, just the 'depreciation' (which may even make you money, judging from what vintage stuff goes for!).

It's up to you in the end. Personally I would make a list of everything else you could buy with $1700 that you've wanted for ages, then weigh up whether that small movement is better than all that other stuff ;)

themoo-12

Hmmm well what is the best eta movement that is close to gen as far as gen smoothness goes the rest o the gen parts I can get for less then $500 which is still expensive but I could resell those parts for a reasonable % and if you know someone that's selling their wm9 lemme know!

KBH
Hmmm well what is the best eta movement that is close to gen as far as gen smoothness goes the rest o the gen parts I can get for less then $500 which is still expensive but I could resell those parts for a reasonable % and if you know someone that's selling their wm9 lemme know!

I vote for the 2892-2, although there's nothing wrong with th 2824-2 or 2836-2. Particularly if you buy one of the higher end factory sealed movements. They seem a little hard to find lately.

GC

I vote for the 2892-2, although there's nothing wrong with th 2824-2 or 2836-2. Particularly if you buy one of the higher end factory sealed movements. They seem a little hard to find lately.

+1... the 2892-2 is tops! Followed by the 2824 and 2836 (but you don't need the extra day wheel which this movt has).

Member X

Aren't they different thicknesses, giving different height crowns?

GC

Actually the WM9 has solved the crown height problem, and come to think of it why are we talking about different ETA movts for this watch...? It comes with a Gen ETA movt already!

The sweep smoothness between two movt that beat @ 28800 is indistinguishable. So if ETA or Gen Rolex movt, it will be visually impossible to tell.

The WM9 is as perfect as you can get without going Gen... that's why they cost 3x's as much as the others.

trailboss99

How much does a gen Rolex cost to make?

In the case of a sub, about 600 dollars.

Chances are they may own all that stock either,

some of it may belong to Rolex and not be paid for until sold.

Col.

Baldrick

I know it may have been posted beFore, if not on this forum, most likely on all the other forums, it's still a good read, especially for newcomers to the watch hobby, Walt Odet's famous (or infamous) teardown of the Rolex Explorer!

It dispels a lof the myths surrounding Rolex 'hand made / assembled' assumptions, perhaps the Chinese don't have exclusivity in producing poorly engineered movements.

WALT ODET / EXPLORER

mrtepax

for the price you're gonna pay for the modding, better buy a second-hand gen. (IMO)

Baldrick

oops, wrong section!

coolin

Fook me dude you can get some seriously decent Gen for that money I think its taking Reps a little to the extreme do you not think

solkryssare

Get a wm9. Instal a gen insert and crown and you are done. Dont need more than that.