Sign in to follow this  
Cannibal

Where to get leather for straps?

Cannibal

I've been making my own straps for some time now and I have a difficult time sourcing good hide in affordable quantities. I don't want to drop $200+ on a single hide that could be made into 200+ straps. I only need small pieces, say 3' x 2' or so in 3oz weight.

Anyone have any good sources ?

Skrimps

I have ran into the same problem. If you look on etsy or eBay you can find smaller parts by searching for "leather scraps". It's hit or miss though. Would be interesting to see a group of us on here buy some leather and split it amongst our group. Say buy a $200 and everyone get a portion for $25 or how much.

gottahaverolex

Their should be a Tandy Leather Factory fairly close to you depending where you are located. Many of us buy the majority of our leather there. You can also order from them online. Do yourself a favor and do t just limit yourself to 3oz hides, you are significantly reducing your ability to find good leather. Invest in a leather splitter, like the one I bought at Tandy, and thin down thicker hides. You would be surprised what you can turn into a strap by dialing in the thickness.

Skrimps

I did the same in regards to purchasing a leather splitter. It really does help a ton. Takes a bit to learn how to use the right way but it does open up the amount and types of leather you can use.

Cannibal

The Tandy in my city caters to native artisans, so their hide selection is usually limited to very thick hides and in natural hues. I have lucked out now and then at Tandy, but it's a long drive and frustrating to find nothing there. I also scrounge straps for a local purse and belt maker but again, very hit and miss.

I've gone the ebay route a couple of times and it's okay but I find the pix usually don't do the hide justice. I'd be down for contributing to a group hide buy, but I suspect the issue there would be agreeing on the right colour and thickness.

I'd love to find a scrap of dark to navy blue, as well as some matte black and a decent piece of bright red hide.