Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Cheapies deserve some love too.

Baldrick
Apathy, now that's something I know about, I really should get off my arse and shoot some new stuff, achh, I'll do it tomorrow, :D

bokeh defo has it's place, and I know 'art' ( which is what I think we see from members here) is very personal, I'm old school, I like the old masters and simply prefer great DOF and sharpness particularly in watch photos JMO.

Well your pics are without a doubt the best we've seen on these boards....jsut think of how many

members have taken up (or at least tried) photography due to your pics...I know I have

Thanks silver, but those aren't my photos, they're TTK's :D

greg_r

Yep - I get where you're coming from - TTK's photos are in a whole different league anyhow. :D

I normally go for rather more DOF - and usually do a lot less post-processing than I did on that one (which is odd as back in the day, darkroom work was my thing far more than actually taking photos... oh well). Just felt like being artsy-fartsy this time :D

Silverspeed
Apathy, now that's something I know about, I really should get off my arse and shoot some new stuff, achh, I'll do it tomorrow, :D

bokeh defo has it's place, and I know 'art' ( which is what I think we see from members here) is very personal, I'm old school, I like the old masters and simply prefer great DOF and sharpness particularly in watch photos JMO.

Well your pics are without a doubt the best we've seen on these boards....jsut think of how many

members have taken up (or at least tried) photography due to your pics...I know I have

Thanks silver, but those aren't my photos, they're TTK's :D

Ah yes...you're right, somehow I always mix the two of you up...must be my old age ;)

Baldrick

I'd like to think that he did at least inspire some members to raise their standards, at least that's one positive aspect of his character, other than that he was a rogue and a scoundrel, thoroughly bad egg. :D

Remember also that most of his photos were taken to sell watches, not a lot of 'artistic' expression in them, but he could also do some nice compositional 'still life' work when he took the fancy.

416PANERAICREAMIC64975.jpg327PANERAI1950Hcopy.jpg500_2009DEEPSEADWELLERMONTAGE.jpg

Brightlight

Without doubt there are some great watches under $150, the accuracy the factories are getting now is so much better than even a couple of years ago. Even Josh is advertising reps that take gen parts, formerly the field of MBW only. It is frustrating in some ways, no longer do you have to mod the fuck out of everything to make it acceptable, vintage is the only area left, but reps are moving fast into that too, with 2846 movements fitted so the slow beat is closer. At one time my James Bond 6538 was fairly unique, now you can get one for a couple of hundred dollars, throw in a bit of simple vintagizing and you have it. Joey has spent a lot of time and money producing his excellent 6542 GMT, now again it looks like the factories will bring one out soon. (It's no good, I can see I'm going to have to start vintagizing DSSDs and sell them on RG for a fortune:D )

For me, and it is a very personal view, I'm in a sort of halfway house. The little flaws in your average rep tend to bug the hell out of me eventually, but I am not willing to spend a lot of money on gens, so Frankens are the way I'm going currently. You may think it mad to spend $600 - $800 on a Franken with gen content when you can get a close rep for $150, and it probably is, but that's the way this hobby has taken me. The big benefit is I've stopped buying and selling reps like they were going out of style, my frankens get much more wrist time than any rep did, and, so far, I haven't tired of any of them though I'm questioning the wisdom of having two reps of the same model with only the dials being slightly different so may eventually sell one and build something different.

Baldrick

I can understand that POV, BL, however for me, the law of diminishing returns enters the fray quite quickly, it's akin to building a beautiful house, it may be beautiful, but if it's priced out of the neighbourhood, it's difficult to find another buyer, some sort of devaluation usually occurs, not always, but in general yes, your 6538 is a classic example, at the time it was what was available, now there are alternatives and cheaper, I experienced the same thing with my early 6263 / 6265's, they were very expensive at the time but better ;aternatives started to appear, thank god.

BTW, I'm not getting this thing about vintagising DSSD's, how can you vintagise a watch that only appeared a coule of years ago, and how MANY people do you know that stumbled across one lying in the Marianas trench :D

EDITED TO ADD:

Ahh, got the RG reference, never saw that post over there, still if they're willing to pay a fortune, bleed 'em dry :D

speedzmaster
Can you believe this watch cost less than $150?

miniegi_2_1407210.jpg

NO! :D:D

greg_r

Well it did. So there. :D

graman
Great thread......

here are my cheapies

IMG_3642kopie.jpg

IMG_2004kopie.jpg

IMG_2501kopie.jpg

IMG_3896kopie.jpg

Lovin' that BP mate!

I'd like to think that he did at least inspire some members to raise their standards, at least that's one positive aspect of his character, other than that he was a rogue and a scoundrel, thoroughly bad egg. :D

Remember also that most of his photos were taken to sell watches, not a lot of 'artistic' expression in them, but he could also do some nice compositional 'still life' work when he took the fancy.

416PANERAICREAMIC64975.jpg327PANERAI1950Hcopy.jpg500_2009DEEPSEADWELLERMONTAGE.jpg

Balders!...that black seal is bootiful!

KinCaidk

nice going with the quoting there, Graman :D

Baldrick

That was a cheapie also graman,about $120.00 IIRC, I liked it with the green strap but the strap was on another watch which had narrower lugs than the strap, so it always held that 'pinched' look on the wire lugs, which I didn't like, so it got changed to another strap.

416PANERAICREAMIC64977.jpg

graman

Veeery very nice!....

Brightlight
That was a cheapie also graman,about $120.00 IIRC, I liked it with the green strap but the strap was on another watch which had narrower lugs than the strap, so it always held that 'pinched' look on the wire lugs, which I didn't like, so it got changed to another strap.

416PANERAICREAMIC64977.jpg

I had one the same, obtained from Narikaa. A very nice watch but eventually suffered the 'no wrist time' syndrome so it was sold with the rest of my Pams (Yes people I succumbed to the Pam madness. Fortunatly I got cured). To someone in Italy strangely, I was reluctant but it got there without any trouble.

trailboss99

My Blue Surf was a great buy at under $150. Oke, it was also a gift but it was still under 150 ;)

P9110003.jpg

And of cause the Explorer I

20100508040650328.jpg

Col.

Brightlight
I can understand that POV, BL, however for me, the law of diminishing returns enters the fray quite quickly, it's akin to building a beautiful house, it may be beautiful, but if it's priced out of the neighbourhood, it's difficult to find another buyer, some sort of devaluation usually occurs, not always, but in general yes, your 6538 is a classic example, at the time it was what was available, now there are alternatives and cheaper, I experienced the same thing with my early 6263 / 6265's, they were very expensive at the time but better ;aternatives started to appear, thank god.

BTW, I'm not getting this thing about vintagising DSSD's, how can you vintagise a watch that only appeared a coule of years ago, and how MANY people do you know that stumbled across one lying in the Marianas trench ;)

EDITED TO ADD:

Ahh, got the RG reference, never saw that post over there, still if they're willing to pay a fortune, bleed 'em dry ;)

Yes, I totally agree about diminishing returns. The only thing, and this is where reps were very useful as they allowed me to try all sorts of watches until I defined my grails, is that the stuff I build is for myself. Like the house analogy, it doesn't matter if you intend to live there in perpetuity that it is priced out of the neighbourhood. If I am lucky enough to sell it to fund and build something better, so be it, if not I keep it.

Yes the 'vintage' DSSD - he charges from $650 for one with a clone movement, up to $850 for the genuine bedouin swiss ETA, depends what mods are carried out. And people are flocking to buy them! I can only think that the saying wrongly attributed to Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute" is indeed true and living on RG (and RWG Jr).

Actually there is too much shit talked about vintagizing, it is actually very easy. Sure I know some people have no mechanical aptitude and couldn't and shouldn't remove a watch back, but there is no magic to it. You get exactly the same bullshit about vintagizing guitars, and it is just as easy. But still the people ooh and aah at any vintage offering (including mine!).

ebzen02

These UN's are about as good as you can get for under $150!

dingle
These UN's are about as good as you can get for under $150!

avenger007 has one for sale now for $130 ;)

EDIT: had ;)

Baldrick

Some more cheap lovin', all under $150.00

Power reserves, but have no reserves about buying for these prices ;)

351PANERAIPOWERRESERVEROSEGOLDPVDST.jpg

madcatlancelot

Most of my reps are below $150, except for the automatic chronos running A7750s.

Breitling SOSF A21J from timeshops $118

BreitlingBlackSOSFinrubber01.jpg

BreitlingSOSFwithbrownleatherstrapw.jpg

Rolex Milgauss A21J from Trevor $85

RolexMilgauss06.jpg

Rolex LV Sub A21J from Trevor $88

RolexSubmarinerLVWMPearl02.jpg

Rolex SD lite A21J from Trevor $108

SSDLite01.jpg

PAM 005 A6497 from Trevor $148

PAM00506.jpg

PAM00507.jpg

Omega PO 42mm A21J from watcheden (gone)

01OmegaSeamasterPO42mm.jpg

And here's the latest addition, $78 Rolex ceramic sub from a trusted dealer next door, just arrived today. :)

RolexSubmarinerCeramic01.jpg

RolexSubmarinerCeramic02.jpg

Member X

How can we forget the IWC Portuguese 1939??

:blush:

dscf1492y.jpg

dscf1520l.jpg

dscf1496y.jpg

Perhaps a little over $150 now, and not 100% accurate, but still great for the money :)

It just needs a strap that costs about the same to really set it off! B) :)

ebzen02

BTW, I'm not getting this thing about vintagising DSSD's, how can you vintagise a watch that only appeared a coule of years ago, and how MANY people do you know that stumbled across one lying in the Marianas trench B)

EDITED TO ADD:

Ahh, got the RG reference, never saw that post over there, still if they're willing to pay a fortune, bleed 'em dry :)

Yes, I totally agree about diminishing returns. The only thing, and this is where reps were very useful as they allowed me to try all sorts of watches until I defined my grails, is that the stuff I build is for myself. Like the house analogy, it doesn't matter if you intend to live there in perpetuity that it is priced out of the neighbourhood. If I am lucky enough to sell it to fund and build something better, so be it, if not I keep it.

Yes the 'vintage' DSSD - he charges from $650 for one with a clone movement, up to $850 for the genuine bedouin swiss ETA, depends what mods are carried out. And people are flocking to buy them! I can only think that the saying wrongly attributed to Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute" is indeed true and living on RG (and RWG Jr).

Actually there is too much shit talked about vintagizing, it is actually very easy. Sure I know some people have no mechanical aptitude and couldn't and shouldn't remove a watch back, but there is no magic to it. You get exactly the same bullshit about vintagizing guitars, and it is just as easy. But still the people ooh and aah at any vintage offering (including mine!).

+1.. Reps have opened a new door for me-- that's the case back that I was so afraid to open. Once I learned how to take the stem/crown and the movement it all went crazy for me. Now I have a dremel and I feel like I have a bigger penis..lol!! It is liberating because I would have not done this to a gen of any sort.

Baldrick
I feel like I have a bigger penis.

So how does it feel having a 3" inch penis, geez, just wait until you start 'super-luming', the girls had best take care, I ain't bending over for the soap when you're in the shower, having been up all nite super luming :)

ebzen02
I feel like I have a bigger penis.

So how does it feel having a 3" inch penis, geez, just wait until you start 'super-luming', the girls had best take care, I ain't bending over for the soap when you're in the shower, having been up all nite super luming :)

B)

BTW.. I am looking at doing that next.. My wife will either kill me for spending the $$$ or love me for have a bigger dick!

Elvis

Just found this thread.......some awesome ideas for a noob such as myself.....thank you all.

Pob

Nice watches guys!

I have few myself and will post them when i get my new camera ( don't know when ) :rofl: