Sign in to follow this  
skintrade

A Question of Quality

skintrade

Guys a noobish question but one I feel I must ask. What is the difference between a lower price rep and a higher priced one ?

For instance let's say it its a $70 submariner versus a $300 one. What are the differences that I can expect?

Is it just a case of movement and crystal or are the cases, straps and dials of more gen quality ?

Forgive the noobishness and thanks in advance.

trailboss99

Bracelets are much the same but most of the rest is better in a lot of cases.

Mind you a $100 Noobmariner is the same case and dial as the $230 one.

The difference is in the MVT (movement) alone. That is the exception to the

rule tho as usually the cheaper 21J reps have a different case and maybe dial to the more expensive reps.

Col.

Luthier

There's a few factories in GZ, some lower quality, but 2-3 make high quality reps.

They are the best. And, ofcourse, movements, dials, crystals.

All the components, except movements, usually come from different factories in HK - dials, bracelets, etc.

So, actually, rep. factories in GZ are assembling facilities. Some of them use better quality components, than others.

That's what they told me there.

Silverspeed

Usually the cheaper versions will have a cheaper movement like a Chinese 21J automatic or even quartz and ETA or Swiss Clone movements for the $300 versions. Also the more expensive versions usually have a better general finish and a different case 'cause of the movement. Crystal on the $70 version will be most likely mineral and sapphire for the more expensive version.

Generally the $300 versions are better value but as Col said there are e few execptions like the great Noobmariner