Sign in to follow this  
decus

2824 -2 not winding

decus

Hi , I have a 2824 which is not winding up by hand. I know it's an old story, but has anybody got an answer as to how i might go about sorting out this prob? Ive done the keyless and it winds off the rotor , it hacks and sets the date. I just bought a new stem ;replaced the old one but still no dice.

Any help appreciated :)

Dendo

Oh Man - you redid the keyless and it still aint working. Shit.

You already know this I am sure, but the fact that the rotor winds it suggests the issue is between the keyless and the winding gears. My guess woud be the keyless is not quite right.

PS: I have just spent the day working on a keyless and replacing hands and movements. I will never begrudge a watchsmith a decent price for doing things for me......the amount of hassle, patience needed and the massive number of things that could and can go wrong - I have nothing but respect for these guys!!

Dr Yan

Sounds like the giggling pin has come adrift from the laughing shaft.

HTH.

Libertatia

When I fixed the keyless on my 2824 a couple months ago, the winding part was the only thing that wasn't working. I thought that was the main issue when people mess up the keyless? Any who I fixed it, and it wound again. I didn't exactly know what I was doing or why it started to wind again, but I'd 100% say you've done the keyless again.

decus

Well. its def not the 'laughing shaft' and I don't want to take bread from the watch repairers mouth but I get a certain amount of pleasure fixing it myself- hence hobby.

Any other suggestions?

thanks,D

Edited by decus

Dendo

Well. its def not the 'laughing shaft' and I don't want to take bread from the watch repairers mouth but I get a certain amount of pleasure fixing it myself- hence hobby.

Any other suggestions?

thanks,D

As Libertatia says - you may have to open it up and redo the keyless. Check there is nothing bent that might allow the keyless to get out of position as you close it up. There was a post by Mike McNair at least a year ago where he had to bend the cover plate or some other part to keep it tight on resetting.

Impressed that you can do this! My comment about watchsmiths was about respect for them,

Good luck mate!

decus
As Libertatia says - you may have to open it up and redo the keyless. Check there is nothing bent that might allow the keyless to get out of position as you close it up. There was a post by Mike McNair at least a year ago where he had to bend the cover plate or some other part to keep it tight on resetting.

Thanks Dendo, I have opened it up again and see that the castle-wheel is not engaging with the winding-pinon ;therefore no winding. The gap between these two wheels are the problem and at the moment I have no idea bring them together.

SSTEEL

Post a photo of the compete movement, dial side so we can check everything is there and where it should be. The cover that covers the keyless, and castle wheel needs to be tight, make sure the tab that holds down the date gear is holding that gear firmly too.

Try fitting the castle wheel the other way round, it does matter which way it goes, as the teeth are cut at a slight angle on one side, and not on the other.

decus
Try fitting the castle wheel the other way round, it does matter which way it goes, as the teeth are cut at a slight angle on one side, and not on the other.

Everything is fine now; not as in working , but I understand the problem. The castle-wheel is not engaging with the winding-pinion as the teeth on one/or both are not 100%. I pushed part of the top plate which is behind the winding wheel and the watch would wind-up for a little while.

So, the castle and winding-pinion are the parts that need to be addressed

pfcdre

there is a good sticky on here for rebuilding the keyless on a 2836 which im sure uses the same keyless, also there is a good you tube vid on the same where he explains step by step,the castle can fit both ways but should only go in one way for tooth alignment, I did mine a couple of days ago using these tutorials, good luck, I spent 3 hours on the floor looking for a gear that popped out, note to self put a white sheet on the floor around where your working as shag pile carpet not great for finding things, and a magnet is handy for finding lost gears lol cheers.

decus
there is a good sticky on here for rebuilding the keyless on a 2836

I have the problem partly solved, it is : the yoke is not pushing the castle in far enough to engage the winding-pinion. If I push the yoke back a tad , I can wind the watch manually. If I then pull the stem in and out again- the yoke goes to it's original position, meaning: no winding.

Here: I found another person with a similar problem but no solution: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/eta-2824-2-wont-wind-369699.html

So... you might say that the problem is partly solved.

SSTEEL

How you getting on with this now?

decus

How you getting on with this now?

Hi, SSTEEL ,and thanks for the concern. Everything is sorted and running now. I still have the hands and bracelet to put on but I'm knackered (don't want to mess up on the last hurdle ) so , I will finish off the job tomorrow. Will post some pics when I'm finished.

Talk soon, :)

SSTEEL

Cool. Just remember, when removing the stem, gently gently on the release button, and pull the stem out from winding position. Then gently gently when reinserting is, turning is very slowly whilst inserting it until it stops going in, then gently again on the button whilst pushing the stem home.