Sign in to follow this  
Tressles61

Removing Ceramic Bezel Ring on New Subs

Tressles61

Anyone have a simple way to remove these new bezel rings? I tried the $175 remover and cracked the ceramic bezel. Avitt suggested the Bergeon 6820 but that is $400 bucks. Same problem with the DSSD bezels - very difficult to remove without damaging the bezel or watch.

JoeyB
Anyone have a simple way to remove these new bezel rings? I tried the $175 remover and cracked the ceramic bezel. Avitt suggested the Bergeon 6820 but that is $400 bucks. Same problem with the DSSD bezels - very difficult to remove without damaging the bezel or watch.

I chipped and cracked the ceramic insert on an early 'sandwiched' GMT. The next one I removed the bezel and insert from the case, applied light heat from a hair dryer to the insert and then used an Exacto knife blade to slowly separate the glue between the bezel and insert.

trailboss99

Yup, that works but he wants to remove the whole bezel, an almost impossible task.

I buggered a ceramic sub trying with the Bergeon.

Col.

JoeyB

My bad. To remove the bezel ring you must first remove the ceramic insert. Removing the crystal would make it easier, then the insert as said before. Then remove the bezel as you normally would. I use a thin, stiff piece of plastic to wedge in between the bezel and the case where the crystal sits. You should be able to see a bit of the retainer spring as it hexes in and out of it's retainer groove. The plastic piece pushes the spring away from the case into the groove of the bezel to help release it.

Tressles61

I know this post is a little old but here's the fix for the bergeon tool: Use a hose clamp on the outside jaws. Not too tight - just enough to give it some reinforcement. Screw down the pusher and use a caseback knife to help it off. Go around the entire bezel ring until it pops off.

All that after you have remove the ceramic insert of course!