Sign in to follow this  
Pepi

N00B question on Jap OS movement

Pepi

Sorry for all the questions guys but I'm trying to understand all this.

Why does all three registries appear to be functional on this Tissot copy with a Jap OS movement? This is a quartz movement ??

Shouldn't the 9:00 reg be non-functional?

http://www.timeshops.net/TI7380_-_TISSOT_1...O_170055-16.htm

Edited by Pepi

greg_r

Yes, it's a quartz chrono. At that kind of price it's the only way you'll get working subdials - a 21J automatic would mean faux subdials (either non moving or indicating day/date rather than minute/hour/second - also the main chrono hand would sweep continuously).

Pepi

Thanks Greg! I think I finally see the big picture. If you want a good Rep chronograph you shell out the extre $ for one with an Asia 7750 28800bph movement :lol:

KBH

That's a nice looking watch. What's the gen go for. I always figured a gen Tissot was in the low end range. Kind of like a fake Seiko.

On the OS series all the subdials work. The watch pictured just has the chrono running. The 9 subdial is the seconds hand. Of course it would be functional.

edit: I see Greg got you straightened out. If you want a chrono, nothing wrong with that one. Even if the gen is automatic movement, it's hard to tell with the small second hand. I'd take a quartz chrono over a 21j any day.

Luthier
I'd take a quartz over a 21j any day.

Different beasts.

21j don't have chrono function, so, if quartz is non-chrono, 21J will beat it, no doubts. Quartz ticks, 21j has 21,600 speed.

P_Diddy

nice Tissot!

pre-owned Tissot are very reasonably priced, be inclined to gen at this price level...

offshore

@P Diddy,

Agreed, I reckon a gen used one of these, wouldn't command any more than that money if you could find one.

I have a number of Seastars, in quartz and mech, and they all owe under $100.

O/S

P_Diddy

This is a nice Tissot gen, with 2 year warranty, a touch over £200

Gen Tissot Diver

much better value than a Tissot rep .......

this gen example wears BIG even though its only 40mm, illusionally as big as some of the Panerai watches!

Edited by P_Diddy