Sign in to follow this  
radioguy

Are we stupid to collect watches?

radioguy

Guys,

Are we stupid to collect watches? We all spend so much money on them. Between gens and reps, I bet a lot of us have over ten thousand dollars in watches. But why?

Are they good investments? Are they going to appreciate? For these reps, the broad answer is "No!" Perhaps some gens will, but probably most wont. They may at least retain their value.

But if you sold all your reps and gens, and just kept one decent watch, and put the money in a nice mutual fund or whatever,......Ten years later, instead of a bunch of broken reps you have doubled your money..

What do you think?

JoeyB

Sounds like...fun. :D

Tofast4u2c

Sounds like my wife........

speedzmaster

We all should have purchased 10 Rolex Daytona 6263 for their original price of $210 in 1972...if you were alive back then!

apoopoo999
We all should have purchased 10 Rolex Daytona 6263 for their original price of $210 in 1972...if you were alive back then!

10 daytonas for $210 a piece.... back in 1972 that wouldve been considered a lot of dough. Thats like telling me to buy 10 watches at $2000 a piece today

AllergyDoc

I'm all for immediate satisfaction: ten years my ass--I want my watch in a week!

speedzmaster

10 daytonas for $210 a piece.... back in 1972 that wouldve been considered a lot of dough. Thats like telling me to buy 10 watches at $2000 a piece today

Vintage 6263 Daytonas are worth over $30K now.

ebzen02
Sounds like my wife........

+1 and the little angel that sits on my right shoulder. I aways tend to go with the little devil on my left :D

wencarnacion
Guys,

Are we stupid to collect watches? We all spend so much money on them. Between gens and reps, I bet a lot of us have over ten thousand dollars in watches. But why?

Are they good investments? Are they going to appreciate? For these reps, the broad answer is "No!" Perhaps some gens will, but probably most wont. They may at least retain their value.

But if you sold all your reps and gens, and just kept one decent watch, and put the money in a nice mutual fund or whatever,......Ten years later, instead of a bunch of broken reps you have doubled your money..

What do you think?

I think with all respect that you do not love the watches like us. Of course this is your personal opinion, but what can do people like us that love watches and can not pay US$3,000 for a gen piece. I agree with you to buy a gen watch ( I have a gen MOVADO ) but we want to have all the watches that we see for our personal collections. Watches is part of our lifes!!!

apoopoo999

Vintage 6263 Daytonas are worth over $30K now.

yeah but I would have to rob a lot of old grandmas back then to be able to buy 10 daytonas

solkryssare
Guys,

What do you think?

I think with all respect that you do not love the watches like us. Of course this is your personal opinion, but what can do people like us that love watches and can not pay US$3,000 for a gen piece. I agree with you to buy a gen watch ( I have a gen MOVADO ) but we want to have all the watches that we see for our personal collections. Watches is part of our lifes!!!

With all due respect I dont think you know who the OP is. No doubt he loves watches. He is just discussing the sanity of our hobby. Which with out a doubt is insane and built on emotions like any passion is and should be.

trailboss99

Only ten grand huh?

Guess I'm ahead of the curve :(

Col.

greg_r

Sure. So instead of buying that BMW, Merc or Audi, you stick with a Kia (or better yet, a bicycle) and put the rest in a mutual trust. Instead of buying that fancy laptop computer, you stick with pen and paper and put the rest in a mutual trust. Instead of..... you see where I'm going with this?

We buy watches and other stuff because we enjoy these things. Do I really NEED a top of the line luxury car? No - a Kia would get me to work... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....!!!!!!! :(

Ultimately, if I can't enjoy at least a part of my income, then what's the point of working my ass off?

Brightlight

If you spend money you can't afford, then yes, it may be stupid. But this is common to all areas of life. Have a meal in a restaurant when you could have gone to McD's (Yeuch!)? Buy a Merc instead of a Ford? Send your kid to piano lessons? Fly Business instead of Economy? But if you think these are stupid to spend money on, what do you do, where do you stop? Go barefoot instead of buying shoes? Don't have a TV in your house? Drink water instead of beer? It's all a matter of degree.

I spend money on my reps/frankens because I enjoy doing it. I have always had a fascinatiion for mechanical watches, like tinkering with them and like wearing them. Sure I could probably have a lot of money in the bank if I lived a miserable existence and saved every penny. Personally I would rather enjoy life and take it as it comes.

Ha Greg, you beat me to it!!

nunu78
Sure. So instead of buying that BMW, Merc or Audi, you stick with a Kia (or better yet, a bicycle) and put the rest in a mutual trust. Instead of buying that fancy laptop computer, you stick with pen and paper and put the rest in a mutual trust. Instead of..... you see where I'm going with this?

We buy watches and other stuff because we enjoy these things. Do I really NEED a top of the line luxury car? No - a Kia would get me to work... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....!!!!!!! :(

Ultimately, if I can't enjoy at least a part of my income, then what's the point of working my ass off?

Very true G, I think after your reply atleast I don't think that anybody needs to say anything. :thumbsup2:

Luthier

Some people collect buttons, some - samurai swords ( have a few, very, very expensive!!!), some - mmm... books... right, Boss? Just ignore Kindle... hehehe... some collect cars (why you need many?), some - money, that you can't eat anyway...

If you don't understand the pleasure of owning beautiful timepieces - what the hell you doing on this forum, man?

Mutual funds forum is your place, methink...

Why we collect watches? BECAUSE WE LOVE IT, AND WE CAN AFFORD IT!!!

JoeyB
Do I really NEED a top of the line luxury car? No - a Kia would get me to work... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....!!!!!!! :(

Umm...it's a purple Audi. Re-consider the Kia... :thumbsup2:

trailboss99
some collect cars (why you need many?),

Says the Ferrari owner :(

I still miss my 308GTS every single day bro.

Col.

greg_r
Do I really NEED a top of the line luxury car? No - a Kia would get me to work... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....!!!!!!! :(

Umm...it's a purple Audi. Re-consider the Kia... :thumbsup2:

um it's a burgundy Audi, but enjoy your misconceptions.

Anyhow, I know you like your Kia, but some of us have higher standards.... :D

Luthier
some collect cars (why you need many?),

Says the Ferrari owner :(

I still miss my 308GTS every single day bro.

Col.

Perfectly understand you, Col., 308 was a great car.

RolexAddict

I prefer vintage English cars, Aston Martin, Jaguar (I owned a Mark2)

Why we like watches ? because. Why others like sex or music or motorcycles etc????

Its healthy to have hobbies, even fantasms, not only one, many, hobbies and fantasms are outlets

People who don't have hobbies or fantasms spend money to the psychoanalyst, a kind of hobby also. More pricy than a rep.

Grymes
Guys,

What do you think?

Yes.

I am also stupid for smoking.

Silverspeed

What use would money have if you don't spend it....

Baldrick
Merc or Audi, you stick with a Kia

Hey. leave the little guys alone, I like the Kia Soul, it's funky in a kind klunky way:D

1466231-lg.jpg

If you're talking stupid is as stupid does, then I am stoopid, I never ever lost money on any property I bought in the last 40 years, but BOY did I lose fargin' fortunes on EVERY luxury car I bought, complete with all the aftermarket add-ons, from alloys to body-kits, engine conversions to high end hi-fi systems, I've had god knows how many Audi / BMW / Merc / Porsche / Honda ( one of the better deals), Fords / Vauxhalls ( had the very first Calibra in Scotland, what a hippo that was ), and yes even an early Dino, ( beautiful looking, never got too many opps to see if it was beautiful when it moved), Renault Maxi 5's, Lancia Thema, Integrale, and on and on, every single one of those fukkers was a money pit, so collecting a few fake and gen watches is no comparison, nowadays, in a kinda tantric, kharmic fashion I look at luxury cars and think, wow, I must have that, and then the realisation hits me, no you DON'T, my racing days are over, I can only drive to the limit of my vision, if I get behind the wheel of a performance car, I end up in licence-losing mode and anyway in the UK, you can't drive fast anymore, so no enjoyment in it, so, basically it's simply a status declaration, in Thailand a fukkin' SangYong is 1.5 million Thai baht, that's about 35k GBP, THIRTY FIVE FUKKIN' BRITISH QUIDS, ( I paid that for my 1st 750iL in the 90's ) no fargin' way, and besides I don't need the affirmation that everybody seeks in having a 'luxury' car sitting 3-4 days a week in my driveway, I can think of better uses for my folding. JMO, nobody needs to agree with me, as I said I don't need ANYONE'S approval and NO, I am not certifiable :(

Brightlight
)

Why we like watches ? because. Why others like sex or music or motorcycles etc????

I happen to like all of those even if sex is few and far between these days :(. Hobbies are not mutually exclusive fortunately :thumbsup2: