Sign in to follow this  
radioguy

Are we stupid to collect watches?

Brightlight

Kias, like Grahams, are OK. If you like your pleasures rough and ugly :(

Mind you purple (sorry burgundy ie purple) Audis are something else. Just not for me, although I did have a Merc that looked metallic purple in the sunshine (otherwise dark blue) which was a lot more attractive than it sounds so the Audi could be OK

Baldrick
Kias, like Grahams, are OK. If you like your pleasures rough and ugly

Of course you can always wear that OLD MAN"S watch the Datejust / Day Date and EVERY FUKKER in the galaxy will assume it's fake, you are talking Aunt Sally shoes with that on your wrist :D

You'd need to be in a kinda tantric kharmic kaballah coma to wear one of those JMO, ( but I'm right) :(, of course if you're simply trying to impress the rest of the old codgers down at the library, sucking on their mint imperials whilst reading the free newspapers, I suppose they're Ok, otherwise, not even in my coffin :thumbsup2:

even if sex is few and far between these days

And wearing that, I'm not surprised sex for you is few and far between these days, still I bet Pam and her 5x sisters keep it 'perpetually' wound :band:

Brightlight
Kias, like Grahams, are OK. If you like your pleasures rough and ugly

Of course you can always wear that OLD MAN"S watch the Datejust / Day Date and EVERY FUKKER in the galaxy will assume it's fake, you are talking Aunt Sally shoes with that on your wrist :band:

You'd need to be in a kinda tantric kharmic kaballah coma to wear one of those JMO, ( but I'm right) :thumbsup2:, of course if you're simply trying to impress the rest of the old codgers down at the library, sucking on their mint imperials whilst reading the free newspapers, I suppose they're Ok, otherwise, not even in my coffin :D

Strangely I've never had anyone assume my watch was a fake, not even my bro in law who wears a gen 1970's DJ (and is older even than I am). Actually the old folks in the home think I'm a cool dude with my DJ :( Why old Mrs Muggins even offered to take off her knickers if I let her suck it....... or am I thinking about something else? I get easily confused these days. ;)

Something tells me you drive a Kia and wear a Graham :gday_mate_haveabeer:

Baldrick
Strangely I've never had anyone assume my watch was a fake,

You need to leave your basement for that to happen :(

Why old Mrs Muggins even offered to take off her knickers if I let her suck it.......

That's only because she wanted to get a 'charge' when it hit her fillings, she certainly wasn't getting a charge outta you :thumbsup2:

Wooo, I'm impressed, you ACTUALLY know someone who has a GENUINE 70's Datejust, did ya write a book about it and no, Methuselah isn't as old as you, so the ';older' bro' routine is just yer meds kickin' in, never happened :D

Actually the old folks in the home think I'm a cool dude with my DJ

I bet they do, you should see and hear 'em when you take yer teeth out and show 'em yer prize-winning best gurnin' moves, if you look closely you can just make out yer Oyster bracelet , the editor woulda kept it in the shot, but he didn't wanna be responsible for causing distress to any of the octogenarians in your rest home :band:

gurning-world-champ.jpg

greg_r
Merc or Audi, you stick with a Kia

Hey. leave the little guys alone, I like the Kia Soul, it's funky in a kind klunky way:D

1466231-lg.jpg

If you're talking stupid is as stupid does, then I am stoopid, I never ever lost money on any property I bought in the last 40 years, but BOY did I lose fargin' fortunes on EVERY luxury car I bought, complete with all the aftermarket add-ons, from alloys to body-kits, engine conversions to high end hi-fi systems, I've had god knows how many Audi / BMW / Merc / Porsche / Honda ( one of the better deals), Fords / Vauxhalls ( had the very first Calibra in Scotland, what a hippo that was ), and yes even an early Dino, ( beautiful looking, never got too many opps to see if it was beautiful when it moved), Renault Maxi 5's, Lancia Thema, Integrale, and on and on, every single one of those fukkers was a money pit, so collecting a few fake and gen watches is no comparison, nowadays, in a kinda tantric, kharmic fashion I look at luxury cars and think, wow, I must have that, and then the realisation hits me, no you DON'T, my racing days are over, I can only drive to the limit of my vision, if I get behind the wheel of a performance car, I end up in licence-losing mode and anyway in the UK, you can't drive fast anymore, so no enjoyment in it, so, basically it's simply a status declaration, in Thailand a fukkin' SangYong is 1.5 million Thai baht, that's about 35k GBP, THIRTY FIVE FUKKIN' BRITISH QUIDS, ( I paid that for my 1st 750iL in the 90's ) no fargin' way, and besides I don't need the affirmation that everybody seeks in having a 'luxury' car sitting 3-4 days a week in my driveway, I can think of better uses for my folding. JMO, nobody needs to agree with me, as I said I don't need ANYONE'S approval and NO, I am not certifiable :band:

:( Nice rant! :D

Good point though - I've spent a whole lot less on watches in the past 12 months than I have on the Audi - and that's without taking petrol into account!

.... but I'm gonna keep it anyway :gday_mate_haveabeer:

... and yes. I AM certifiable. All the best people are, you know :thumbsup2:

gran
Guys,

Are we stupid to collect watches?

Yes we are stupid....but in a good way :lol:

I love RWG and this virtual quest for affordable but great looking watches that almost look like the real $10.000-100 000 deal.....we are nuts for sure but as I said in a good and reasonably affordable way

graman

Mate...you forget something....

We're addicts!

Are you stupid to smoke or drink?

Do you get caffine headaches if you miss your coffee?

So....I have to put a Panerai ON my arm, rather than up it.

I like this..

You can't fit a Graham up your nose, unless you're Sylar

I like this too, and would like to see pics

This is an excellent place to hang out and talk utter rubbish

It would not exist without the afore mentioned addiction.

Why would I spend money on a gen, and miss out on this fun?

Why would I spend money on a gen, and get ripped?...mark ups are criminal.

I love the designs of these watches, but I don't have the budget.

I'm a realist, and enjoy what I'm doing.

You can try to commit me to detox, but I"ll just go right out there and start again!

Brightlight
Strangely I've never had anyone assume my watch was a fake,

You need to leave your basement for that to happen :D

Why old Mrs Muggins even offered to take off her knickers if I let her suck it.......

That's only because she wanted to get a 'charge' when it hit her fillings, she certainly wasn't getting a charge outta you B)

Wooo, I'm impressed, you ACTUALLY know someone who has a GENUINE 70's Datejust, did ya write a book about it and no, Methuselah isn't as old as you, so the ';older' bro' routine is just yer meds kickin' in, never happened :rofl:

Actually the old folks in the home think I'm a cool dude with my DJ

I bet they do, you should see and hear 'em when you take yer teeth out and show 'em yer prize-winning best gurnin' moves, if you look closely you can just make out yer Oyster bracelet , the editor woulda kept it in the shot, but he didn't wanna be responsible for causing distress to any of the octogenarians in your rest home :rofl:

gurning-world-champ.jpg

yep, no doubt about it. Drives a Kia and wears a Graham :rofl: Oh, and jealousy is a terrible thing son, don't let it eat you up. You'll have a DJ one day.

JoeyB
Do I really NEED a top of the line luxury car? No - a Kia would get me to work... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....!!!!!!! :D

Umm...it's a purple Audi. Re-consider the Kia... :rofl:

um it's a burgundy Audi, but enjoy your misconceptions.

Anyhow, I know you like your Kia, but some of us have higher standards.... :rofl:

Excusez-moi, Burgandy it is. Those are Ringling Brother's colors?

Yes, though I don't drive it much, I love my Kia! It fits perfectly in the trunk of my Mercedes as my spare. B)

JoeyB
I happen to like all of those even if sex is few and far between these days

Get a Pam from Robert. I hear his are made from black rhino horn and that's why they are popular with so many here. Makes sense, I can't think of any other reason for a Pam... :D

greg_r
Yes, though I don't drive it much, I love my Kia! It fits perfectly in the trunk of my Mercedes as my spare. B)

:D

Baldrick

Had my son, had, I gave up on Datejusts in the late 70's, long before you had your fake that nobody notices, but hey, with those girlie wrists of yours, it's just about the perfect size and weight, after all you can't get it off your wrist, let alone your mind, you're beginning to sound an awful lot like a Rolex fanboi. "There is no watch BUT Rolex', sounds dreadfully like 'there is no phone BUT Iphone'. :D

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, now the great mass of the unwashed public will KNOW a Rolex just as they'll know an Iphone, but they'll be missing out on some very tasty food laid out at the great horological banquet, 'cos like you, they'll be shovelling cocktail sausages and spam sandwiches down their gob, exclaiming all the while, 'isn't it great', whilst I and others like me shall be dining on pate de foie gras and larks wings in aspic, but hey, if you wanna restrict your imagination to Rolex, those who lack flair and imagination will never comprehend the appeal of watches such as Panerai, AP, Graham even something as beautiful as the DSSD, which is without doubt a beautiful tool watch, absolutely redundant for the purpose for which it was intended, but a bold statement concurrent with the move to the larger watches which are de rigeur for today's market, you perceive it as 'ugly' because in your restricted imagination, you still believe that people will look on in awe of the Datejust that you have on your wrist, t'aint happening son, maybe in your circle of acqaintances down the George and Dragon, held in awe just the same as the locals when they see a helicopter, they throw bread up at it, shouting 'look at the big bird", but in the BIG world,no, etc etc, knock yourself out. B)

Yer talking shite, and you know it laddie!

No Kia, not yet anyway, I'll stick with Mitsubishi for the time being, AP yes, Omega, yes Breguet, yes, Breitling, yes, TAG, yes, Chopard, yes, all genuine, not a Rolex in sight!

mondeov6
Mate...you forget something....

We're addicts!

Are you stupid to smoke or drink?

Do you get caffine headaches if you miss your coffee?

So....I have to put a Panerai ON my arm, rather than up it.

I like this..

You can't fit a Graham up your nose, unless you're Sylar

I like this too, and would like to see pics

This is an excellent place to hang out and talk utter rubbish

It would not exist without the afore mentioned addiction.

Why would I spend money on a gen, and miss out on this fun?

Why would I spend money on a gen, and get ripped?...mark ups are criminal.

I love the designs of these watches, but I don't have the budget.

I'm a realist, and enjoy what I'm doing.

You can try to commit me to detox, but I"ll just go right out there and start again!

Well spoken!! (the last three sentences fits my way of thinking perfectly.)

I am however quite new to this rep collecting thing. But can I se myself

stopping it in the near future? Of course not! It is far to much fun and rewarding

in more then one way! One of the most fun things about this addiction is to

share it amongst other people. (Like this forum.)

I can´t exactely pinpoint what it is about these watches that speaks to me....

maybe it is just that!... they "speak" to me!.. or a least they tell me the time B)

I must admit I speak to them to... every night when I open my "collection case"

(or what ever it is called in english) and wind them, dust them off and admire them!

I love my little "ticking babies"! :D

collection.jpg

As you can see quite a lot of them are cheap Chinese/Germasian "wannabe" watches

but I love them to! After all they where the ones that paved the road to "Replica Land" for me.

And.... hmmmmmm... think I´d better stop ranting now or I will prove to you all I actually

am crazy!! :rofl:

Rolf

Brightlight
Had my son, had, I gave up on Datejusts in the late 70's, long before you had your fake that nobody notices, but hey, with those girlie wrists of yours, it's just about the perfect size and weight, after all you can't get it off your wrist, let alone your mind, you're beginning to sound an awful lot like a Rolex fanboi. "There is no watch BUT Rolex', sounds dreadfully like 'there is no phone BUT Iphone'. :rofl:

Bingo! You got it at last!! Take me seriously at your peril. :rofl:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, now the great mass of the unwashed public will KNOW a Rolex just as they'll know an Iphone, but they'll be missing out on some very tasty food laid out at the great horological banquet, 'cos like you, they'll be shovelling cocktail sausages and spam sandwiches down their gob, exclaiming all the while, 'isn't it great', whilst I and others like me shall be dining on pate de foie gras and larks wings in aspic, but hey, if you wanna restrict your imagination to Rolex, those who lack flair and imagination will never comprehend the appeal of watches such as Panerai, AP, Graham even something as beautiful as the DSSD, which is without doubt a beautiful tool watch, absolutely redundant for the purpose for which it was intended, but a bold statement concurrent with the move to the larger watches which are de rigeur for today's market, you perceive it as 'ugly' because in your restricted imagination, you still believe that people will look on in awe of the Datejust that you have on your wrist, t'aint happening son, maybe in your circle of acqaintances down the George and Dragon, held in awe just the same as the locals when they see a helicopter, they throw bread up at it, shouting 'look at the big bird", but in the BIG world,no, etc etc, knock yourself out. :rofl:

Yer talking shite, and you know it laddie!

I can't deny it, of course I'm talking shite, and look at the flights of fancy it has driven you, and others, to. But I still don't like big watches and as for the DSSD, the bezel is too wide and that silly piece inside with the printing is too wide, just a bad design.

No Kia, not yet anyway, I'll stick with Mitsubishi for the time being, AP yes, Omega, yes Breguet, yes, Breitling, yes, TAG, yes, Chopard, yes, all genuine, not a Rolex in sight!

Well not everyone can have good taste like me :D Was your auld mither frightened by a Rollie when she was carrying you?

AustinTech

I'm starting to think gens are pretty stupid. The reps are smart if you do your homework and don't expect perfection.

I love watches, but they really are just a hobby. I could sell them all and not wear a watch at all and I'd miss them, but I'd be just fine.

Everyone needs at least one hobby, otherwise your life will become off-balance. You need an outlet. Might as wel be some kick-ass watches.

skintrade
Guys,

Are we stupid to collect watches? We all spend so much money on them. Between gens and reps, I bet a lot of us have over ten thousand dollars in watches. But why?

Are they good investments? Are they going to appreciate? For these reps, the broad answer is "No!" Perhaps some gens will, but probably most wont. They may at least retain their value.

But if you sold all your reps and gens, and just kept one decent watch, and put the money in a nice mutual fund or whatever,......Ten years later, instead of a bunch of broken reps you have doubled your money..

What do you think?

Is this "woman-speak" ? For God's sake woman, it's a man thing, it is not supposed to make sense. :D

radioguy
Sure. So instead of buying that BMW, Merc or Audi, you stick with a Kia (or better yet, a bicycle) and put the rest in a mutual trust. Instead of buying that fancy laptop computer, you stick with pen and paper and put the rest in a mutual trust. Instead of..... you see where I'm going with this?

We buy watches and other stuff because we enjoy these things. Do I really NEED a top of the line luxury car? No - a Kia would get me to work... OVER MY DEAD BODY.....!!!!!!! :D

Ultimately, if I can't enjoy at least a part of my income, then what's the point of working my ass off?

Haha :rofl:

I started thinking about this recently because of a discussion on another forum I read. I'm into sailling, and some guy comes to the forum saying how he makes $150,000 / year. He lists all his debt (student loans, $10,000 in credit card debt, boat loan, car loan, and house loan) and then asks if he is considered "rich". Everyone chimes in that since he makes $100,000 more than the average income, then yes, he is rich.

But one poster came in and said "No, you are not rich. In fact, you are in debt and are poor." The guy made me open my eyes and explained how obviously the guy's spending is out of control because he makes so much money but has so much debt. What the hell is he buying?

It made me think!

(Sure wish my income was $150,000!)

narikaa

Collecting inst about sanity

Its about collecting

Ive had several 'wake up moments'

Like suddenly deciding just what is the point of having more money in Antique Japanese spears and swords than in the house youre hanging them on.

or

In more recent times, a moment of 'clarity' that asked me just how many of the 400+ fighting knives I really needed

Both times it gave me the resolve to sell the lot

But

Then along came that 'must have' kabuto , and an utterly charming Randall 1

Ho hum

greg_r

Its about collecting

Like suddenly deciding just what is the point of having more money in Antique Japanese spears and swords than in the house youre hanging them on.

or

In more recent times, a moment of 'clarity' that asked me just how many of the 400+ fighting knives I really needed

But

Ho hum

LOL - been there except, in my case, with books.

skintrade

Ultimately it is about enjoyment, a healthy bank balance whilst nice to have (not that I would know) is numbers on screen. It is not tangable and as such you cannot have a physical connection with it. We can all shake off our mortal coil at anytime, so ENJOY your money any which way makes you happy and if this includes collecting more money then so be it. :D:D but i would rather have my little toys, otherwise someone else will just spend it when you are gone.

Baldrick

Aye, collecting, s'what men do, if not women, then something else, however as narikaa says, 'clarity' comes along, I had a collection of about 3000 Lp's, then figured, what for, a moment of clarity told me I 'needed' the music, just not the form factor attributed to 'em. so now it's all digital :rofl:

Same with hi-fi, I spent 1000's of pounds over a 35 year obsession period ( and that was just on the bloody magazines), until the moment Alvin Gold and Hi-Fi News recommended green felt marker applied round the edges of my CD's, then I knew I was listening to the 'system', not the music :D

skintrade
Aye, collecting, s'what men do, if not women, then something else, however as narikaa says, 'clarity' comes along, I had a collection of about 3000 Lp's, then figured, what for, a moment of clarity told me I 'needed' the music, just not the form factor attributed to 'em. so now it's all digital :rofl:

Same with hi-fi, I spent 1000's of pounds over a 35 year obsession period ( and that was just on the bloody magazines), until the moment Alvin Gold and Hi-Fi News recommended green felt marker applied round the edges of my CD's, then I knew I was listening to the 'system', not the music :D

How true on the Hi-Fi / Cinema gear. i too just stopped buying the mags and actually STARTED to appreciate the gear had, instead of always looking for the next upgrade. I love my Hi-Fi stuff but then go and get blown away by my iPod and B&W P5 headphones.... go figure.

At least with the rep obessions you are getting good quality and variety and lets face you could never afford the gens and even if you could, would you want to even wear them. At least this way, I can wear a nice watch daily, have people think its great and feel like a million bucks, all whilst saving a ton of cash (not strictly true) surely LOL

JoeyB

Its about collecting

or

But

Ho hum

Unless there is a revolution... :D

greg_r
Haha :D

I started thinking about this recently because of a discussion on another forum I read. I'm into sailling, and some guy comes to the forum saying how he makes $150,000 / year. He lists all his debt (student loans, $10,000 in credit card debt, boat loan, car loan, and house loan) and then asks if he is considered "rich". Everyone chimes in that since he makes $100,000 more than the average income, then yes, he is rich.

But one poster came in and said "No, you are not rich. In fact, you are in debt and are poor." The guy made me open my eyes and explained how obviously the guy's spending is out of control because he makes so much money but has so much debt. What the hell is he buying?

It made me think!

I've been there - and I've been 'poor' too. These days I'm somewhere inbetween. The bills are paid, we've got food on the table, a lower than average debt overhead given my age (i.e. no mortgage) and I have some disposable income - most of which goes into antique books. Yes, the books are an appreciating asset, but that's not why I buy them :rofl:

Ultimately, if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labours, what the hell is the point. A little debt is the norm - so long as you have it under control and have some plans for the future, why the hell not?

dingle
Haha :D

It made me think!

I've been there - and I've been 'poor' too. These days I'm somewhere inbetween. The bills are paid, we've got food on the table, a lower than average debt overhead given my age (i.e. no mortgage) and I have some disposable income - most of which goes into antique books. Yes, the books are an appreciating asset, but that's not why I buy them :rofl:

Ultimately, if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labours, what the hell is the point. A little debt is the norm - so long as you have it under control and have some plans for the future, why the hell not?

+1

well said G.....one day I will have no mortgage :rofl: