Sign in to follow this  
radioguy

Are we stupid to collect watches?

AustinTech

Honestly, this hobby wouldn't be any fun if I was worried about the money. I am in a decent place financially, no debt except the house, and a very modest house at that. Luckily I learn early on that happiness has nothing to do with what you own, but unhappiness can quickly come from what you own. It starts to own you.

skintrade
Honestly, this hobby wouldn't be any fun if I was worried about the money. I am in a decent place financially, no debt except the house, and a very modest house at that. Luckily I learn early on that happiness has nothing to do with what you own, but unhappiness can quickly come from what you own. It starts to own you.

So true, well said

Tressles61
In more recent times, a moment of 'clarity' that asked me just how many of the 400+ fighting knives I really needed

Both times it gave me the resolve to sell the lot

But

Then along came that 'must have' kabuto , and an utterly charming Randall 1

Ho hum

...or asking yourself, "How many fleshlight inserts do I really need?" then saying screw it - I'll sell the whole lot on craigslist... but then the new Jenna Jameson insert comes out...

Brightlight
Aye, collecting, s'what men do, if not women, then something else, however as narikaa says, 'clarity' comes along, I had a collection of about 3000 Lp's, then figured, what for, a moment of clarity told me I 'needed' the music, just not the form factor attributed to 'em. so now it's all digital :popcorn:

Same with hi-fi, I spent 1000's of pounds over a 35 year obsession period ( and that was just on the bloody magazines), until the moment Alvin Gold and Hi-Fi News recommended green felt marker applied round the edges of my CD's, then I knew I was listening to the 'system', not the music :D

Interesting. I've done similar myself with hi-fi but it follows the law of diminishing returns, you spend a hell of a lot more for little return and I finally got fed up with it. I also couldn't lend my records to anyone who didn't have such and such a cartridge, or borrow records which sounded shit because they had scratches the owners weren't aware of on their hi-fis. Do you notice any difference between analogue and digital though? I ask as I got into digital guitar effects for a while, sound great in the music shop or practice studio, but when you gig, the sound becomes somehow cold and brittle and tiring to listen to. I've gone back to valve amps and analogue effects and I'm much happier with the sound. Is it imagination? I really don't know. I haven't noticed the same with CD but then I'm usually listening to CDs in the car, or on the mp3 player rather than in a hi-fi situation.

Baldrick
just a bad design.

Bad design you say, which particular aspect of the watch is 'bad design' I've studied it for days on end and can't discern an iota of 'bad design', every part of it serves it's intended purpose the ceramic bezel means it won't scratch or fade like a metal one, the dial large tho it is, is clear and concise, the engraved rehaut conveys information about the watch and it's features, the glidelock clasp is a masterpiece of design and exactly what Rolex needed after the poor quality of it's original steelinox clasp, which compared very unfavourably against it's competition, the case dimensions I'm sure are commensurate with a watch that was designed solely for the purpose of 'bragging rights', a technical tour de force , for surely no man's wrist will ever face the crushing forces of it's depth rating, unless bound for Davy Jone's locker and it serves no purpose in being strapped to the exterior of a bathysphere, there are too many other watches that meet the exacting standards of a modern saturation diver, for, sure as eggs is eggs, there will be very few professional diver's who will consider the use of this as a tool watch, it will almost exclusively be the preserve of muff divers. :D

No. the DSSD, was made for one purpose and one only, 'bragging rights', the fact that it offends your exalted aesthetic sensibilities simply means that you don't understand the watch, nor it's intended purpose, just as nobody seriously uses a mechanical chronograph to time races at Daytona, and nobody wears a Radiomir whilst straddling a 'mailae', these are simply jewellery for men and you're a plain Jane when it comes to jewellery, pearls and twinset for you laddie :)

but when you gig, the sound becomes somehow cold and brittle and tiring to listen to.

Are you sure that's just not your playing, laddie :popcorn:

Tressles61

Baldrick when I read your posts in can hear Robert Shaw's gritty voice with thick Irish accent and I picture him in a galley. When I finish the post I swear I hear Roy Scheider say, "We're gonna need a bigger boat".

Baldrick

I might just take that as a compliment, then again I might not, 'cos I love to go swimmin' with bow-legged wimmin' :D

JoeyB
Baldrick when I read your posts in can hear Robert Shaw's gritty voice with thick Irish accent and I picture him in a galley. When I finish the post I swear I hear Roy Scheider say, "We're gonna need a bigger boat".

At minimum hip boots... :D

Baldrick

You wish, shorty, in your dreams only :D

JoeyB

Hmm, no one has ever called me "shorty", so I doubt you got that from any of the other sites you've stalked me at. Must be bullshit. I don't wish, and I never dream about you! :D

Baldrick

Of course you don't Joey, my bad, nightmares is what I mean, nightmares, in the immortal words of Marty Robbins, I shall in future show due respect, by calling you Mr. Shorty. :D

As for me stalking you, I think you'll find that you referenced me first, not I you, but fear not I understand your latent desires and constant craving for attention, and as per your last PM, I shall breathe not a jot :popcorn:

Demsey

I thought it were lark's tongues in aspic.

God, look how young Wetton is.

Great post tho'. Someone PM me when they start Googling "The US Constituiton" for parare.

Seems a stretch, now, surely, but give it a few pages.....................

Edited by Demsey

Baldrick

A slip of my tongue Sirrah, I stand corrected, however in my neck of the woods, as a culinary delight, it would certainly not be out of the question :popcorn:

Ahh, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Nice Enough To Eat, Dr. Strangely Strange, Quintessence et al, my, we were so young progressive and sophisticated :D

solkryssare

Just checking in slightly tippsy. How are you boys doing?

JoeyB
Of course you don't Joey, my bad, nightmares is what I mean, nightmares, in the immortal words of Marty Robbins, I shall in future show due respect, by calling you Mr. Shorty. :D

As for me stalking you, I think you'll find that you referenced me first, not I you, but fear not I understand your latent desires and constant craving for attention, and as per your last PM, I shall breathe not a jot :popcorn:

That's why we need hip boots with you.

No, I haven't stalked you at all. But you have showed up on at least 6 other web sites I frequent. And you can stop lying right now, I've never sent you any PM, nor would I, and you are the only member here blocked from sending me any.

Further, I don't have nightmares, I give them. You can show due respect by not referencing me at all. You are all bullshit.

Baldrick
That's why we need hip boots with you.

No, I haven't stalked you at all.

Ahh, the last line of defense eh Julie, denial, all stalkers hold the belief that it's not stalking, it's love, is that what it is Julie, love, if so, no need to be ashamed, we have a no-tell policy here as well, Julie.

But you have showed up on at least 6 other web sites I frequent. And you can stop lying right now, I've never sent you any PM, nor would I, and you are the only member here blocked from sending me any.

Well Julie, as I promised you, I would never reveal the content of your PM's, however with regard to these 6x other fora that you are on, please enlighten us, for you gave no such undertaking with regard to them, so you can freely reveal them without fear of remonstration, or is this merely paranoia creeping in as well Julie, or maybe it's just a case of you expressing your NEEDS on these other fora also, with expectant result.

Further, I don't have nightmares, I give them. You can show due respect by not referencing me at all.

I stand corrected Julie, yes, you do give nightmares, the ever present nightmare that at any given moment ( depending on your meds state), you will resort to BIG FONT as a means of expressing your inner frustrations and lack of humour.

You can show due respect by not referencing me at all.

Well, Julie, respect is a two way street, had you not quoted tressless61 and passed comment on my 'hip boots', I'd nary have given you a mention, but as you elected to pass comment, I felt it only right that I should give solace to you in your hour of need, for surely, ignoring someone is the most hurtful act, and you just can't ignore me,, can you Julie, but rest assured, as promised, the content of your PM's shall remain private.

You are all bullshit.

You say that as tho' it were a bad thing, why not emphasise it in BIG FONT :D

JoeyB

All bullshit.

Baldrick

Ooooh, you've discovered italics, refreshing :D

MikeMcNair

having had all the toys in the world(i build race cars, i build some of the worlds fasted RC cars, i build the most accurate replica firearms in Airsoft form, i have had a Yamaha R6, 5 Porsche 911s, one of which was a 996 turbo cab, 2 boxters, 7 Audis [2 of which were A8s], an R32, an RX7, a WRX, a GMC Syclone [#1128 of 2998 made] a Z3, 21 VW's [including a Phaeton] 4 of which had over 400 horsepower, 2 quads, 3 homes with lots of land, 2 pistols [Glock G27 .40 cal, and a Walther PPS 9mm] 2 gen Tag Heuers, 5 or 6 rep Noobmariners, a rep YM, and Plasmas in every room) and i am 31 years old, and still have a lot of living to do.

needless to say, i have had it all, and am addicted to toys. having a forum about reps, and learning more about them is a WONDERFUL hobby to maintain as it is actually cheaper than most of my others. so are we stupid for buying and obsessing over these things? i think NOT!!!

i COULD afford a gen rolie, but i dont want to. i would rather have 15 reps than 1 gen, it allows me the option to wear different things on different days, making it exciting every time i put on a watch i haven't worn in a while. sure i have been out of the rep game for a few years, but i am glad to be back in it, and will stay in it this time.

the other toys i have had seem stupid now that i look back, simply because of the money i have spent and what i have to show for it now. (basically, ZIP!)

collecting fine replica timepieces is a healthy hobby, and kudos to those that do it.

Member X

How the feck do you all get so rich, I'm seriously in the wrong job lol

Luthier
How the feck do you all get so rich, I'm seriously in the wrong job lol

He said "HAD", mean not anymore.

Well... if at 31 you HAD and lost all of it... IF you lost all of it... it's mean something is definitely wrong with your choices and priorities, bro.

But you definitely correct in one say- better 15 reps, than one gen.

MikeMcNair

if you must know, my health went to shit about a year ago and i spent 22 days in the hospital, lost my job upon returning from disability leave, sold all my toys, spent my savings and severance on child support and mortgage payments, and lost it all in about 8 short months. plain and simple. my priorities were to feed and shelter my son, and not keep the toys Luthier, but thank you for making me look like a an ass hole for doing the right thing for my family. :D

and i wasn't rich, but i remodeled my own homes by myself, and am very proud of the work i can and have done. i then sold them for significant earnings, so basically it was equity that paid for the toys bro, not my measly salary. real estate investments, when done right, can be quite lucrative.

Baldrick

Most people with a mortgage are only ever 3x months from bankruptcy, rich is a relative term B)

You can't lose that which you never had, most material things you only have temporary custody of, same with money, nobody actually has any, they just move it around, transferring and acquiring temporary ownership to or from others, I have no love of money, but I do like the things I can acquire with it, or the freedom of choice it brings. :D

Luthier

First - I didn't know about your troubles, and I'm really, really sorry it happened to you.

Second - nothing could be more important than your kid, kudos to you for taking care of him.

And third - thanks God, I'm healthy, but also lost absolutely everything - Ferrari, great house in Westwood, but I won full custody for my 2 kids, who were 7 and 4 at that time, and I take care of them since. So, you're not alone, bro, welcome to the club!

I'm sure you'll gain everything back, as I did.

God bless.

MikeMcNair

Luth, i am not offended, i suppose i was simply pointing out the fact that things aren't always the way they seam on the surface, and reserving judgment until an educated assessment can be made is a practice i am proud to employ.

glad to hear you got your kids!!! that is unheard of here in PA (USA [i assume you are over seas])

and i absolutely agree, the kids take priority to anything in the world. they eat first, and if there are left overs, we eat. plain and simple. if there is one bed in the house, we sleep on the floor, the kids get the bed, etc.

also baldrick, you are spot on with the "custody" of material objects, we are merely squatters on an item until another soul takes it from us.

i am however pleased to have reps that i can give to my son should he want them down the road. who cares if they are fake, as long as you don't try to play it off like they are gens. that would be really lame, but proudly wearing a replica is a whole different story in my eyes.