Sign in to follow this  
Zero1

IWC Pilot Chrono 3777 from Marvellous Replicas -- Review

Zero1

This is the IWC Pilot Chrono 3777 (HBBV6 Version) w/Asian 7750 (28,800bph)

There are some good news in this review, but unfortunately also some bad news.

The Good

Ordered from Marvellous Replicas without much hassle (sent money via WU,

received QC pictures, sent to Belgium). Price was $380 including

triangle shipping via the UK for added peace of mind.

It was a little longer than expected because the first watch was sent back for “problematic movement”. The second one that came back was good, although the inaccuracy reading on the machine of -7s/day seemed to be a lot in my opinion. They assured me this was normal.

The watch is great looking, the strap feels fantastic - on par with many genuine watches. The glass is AR coated although I suspect this is a low

quality coating whose main purpose is to attract fingerprints and give it a blueish tint. It does not really stops reflections.

11952920426_89df910039_c.jpg

11952385263_9c088751ac_c.jpg

11952922016_466efed5f5_c.jpg

The weight is just right, you feel its reassuring presence. The chronograph buttons are working but feel a bit fragile, something tells me you'd better not play too much with it.

11952384273_cefa55502f_c.jpg

11952088635_8a925be05e_c.jpg

The Bad

Right after the purchase the time was very accurate for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, honeymoon did not last very long when it started to loose some minutes, then one night it lost a good 1.5 hours. This problem is still happening every couple of days, losing a few dozen of minutes. I need to cross-check if the time is still accurate every time, which defeats the whole purpose of having a watch in the first place.

Marvellous Replica have been contacted about this issue, and they are proposing to send it back to the manufacturer. They are only willing to cover $20 for the shipping… needless to say I’m not happy to pay $80 for shipping back and forth, and potentially get another broken movement, or one that will work fine for only two weeks.

At this point, I sincerely regret my purchase.

11952918486_92cc128042_c.jpg

11952086415_266b24b6ec_c.jpg

higginsd

Look for an ETA-7750 on eBay and change the movement. You triple the value of the watch and you can "play" with the chrono pushers without any worries.

HeavyKrush

Too bad about the movement issues, hope you get it sorted because that's a killer looking watch mate.

Prancuzas

Look for an ETA-7750 on eBay and change the movement. You triple the value of the watch and you can "play" with the chrono pushers without any worries.

WOAH, that's a bad advice here- very little people will be willing pay extra for ETA7750 if later this watch will be sold. Also by this time the owner will have to invest about 500usd more jsut because he got a faulty watch...

Now to the OP:

Dont You have a watch-smith around that might take a look?

wrenches&watches

Is it noisy? Check to see if the rotor is lose (center screw) it may not be making proper contact. I've had the bearing even seperate.

higginsd

WOAH, that's a bad advice here- very little people will be willing pay extra for ETA7750 if later this watch will be sold.

I don't think so. Many people would pay a lot more for a watch modded with a gen ETA or gen ETA/IWC movement already build in if the watch is sold later.

But you're right in one point: to change the movement to a gen ETA isn't the only option, it is the best and unfortunately the most expensive. A watch smith possibly can repair the movement. The problem is to find a watch smith who is willing to work on reps. And if you managed to find such a guy he also must be willing to repair a rep A-7750 - a crap movement, sorry. If it works - fine. If not - hm.

You can also look in ebay for asia A-7750, there are always movements of this type available for a handful of dollars. You can also try Otto Frei.

BTW, to the threadstarter: don't forget to secure your pushers with thread lock or you possibly lose them! And have a sharp eye on the triangle at 12: isn't it crooked? It looks a bit crroked on your first pic (some rep dials of the 3777 - like mine - have in fact a crooked triangle at 12) but it is possibly only the angle of the camera.

twofake

Good luck with it all. Great looking watch but I agree that you never want to wear it if you can never trust the time!

Zero1

@wrenches&watches: the watch is somewhat noisy, but I don't know if that normal. What seems to happen is that as long as I wear it, this is typically fine. When I leave it on the table for the night, the day after the watch is stopped. The seconds are stopped. If I shake it a bit, then it starts again, however the seconds are not moving super smooth. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

That being said, I'm kind of worried to change the movement myself. Every time I have opened a watch, I've had trouble like ... breaking something. I might ask if someone knows someone that can help. I live in Belgium, just in case.

@higginsd: Yes the triangle at 12 looks a little bit unaligned, but by much but it is definitely noticeable.

Otherwise I'll have a look at that rotor screw. Thanks!

<RJ>

I feel your pain. I usually dont buy 7750s, If i need a chronograph i try to stick with quartz. The 5 or so ive had so far all have their issues. Non of them comes close to the smooth reliable movement in the 2824s ive had.

Last purcase i made i calculated i had to make a $250+ service soon but the freakin watch messed up before i even had time to ship it off for service and watchmakers could not quarantee it was possible to source parts for repair if it was broken. I got a replacement that i only did qc on before packing it up again for the service trip, And its still away.

:death:

wrenches&watches

You should seek out Kenny, he is a modder god around here and posted a video of his 3777, and he was in love with it gathering from his review. This watch is on my short list, but I have had too many bad experiences with a7750 chronos and I won't buy another until I fix a Hublot I have with a bearing that grenaded. Kenny should be able to help you though, and he is EU based.

KeNnY

yeah the movement issue is not Marvellous replica fault, this is something we need to live with A7750 movements if it is not properly serviced.

I think it is still great deal to take if they will cover atleast some shipping to have fixed watch for free.

And why so expensive shipping ?

Shipping from slovakia, what is generally I can say EXPENSIVE I will pay only 10 Euro to have it shipped to China via Signed for ? Don't send the watch as an EMS ultra insured parcel, just go to post office and ask for International Signed for letter and ship it like that for cheap money, reliable post that will get there in same time approx.

But I think also, if you love the watch, get the SWISS 7750 movement for around 400-600 Euro and your watch will tick nicely for 5-10 years without service.

as for -7s / day that is COSC limit buddy, COSC means the swiss standard that was -10/+8 sec per day. Now they changed it for -6/+4 per day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

If you want accurate 0sec per day you need Quartz watch then not mechanical 360 components movement :lol:

and to ww, thanks mate, but I don't offer A7750 movement service at the moment, as it is really hard job to do and many many many many parts. To big hustle at the moment :)

BTW how is your microadjustement on the band ? it is holding good ? I had to fix mine as it keep slipping like on Ploprof reps :( sad that factories use so weak springs... Maybe I will get the Kevlar strap for it :)

wrenches&watches

I don't blame you Kenny, they look like a nightmare to service, especially with my shakey hands!

boneyjr

Sorry to hear about the movement. Great pics, tho!

TUDOR911

Hello

This is my first post - so Hi everybody.

why not replace it with a Poljot movement 3133 (Russian) ? around 200/300 usd on ebay

Hazz

Hello

This is my first post - so Hi everybody.

why not replace it with a Poljot movement 3133 (Russian) ? around 200/300 usd on ebay

Different configuration,

wrenches&watches

WOAH, that's a bad advice here- very little people will be willing pay extra for ETA7750 if later this watch will be sold.

I don't think so. Many people would pay a lot more for a watch modded with a gen ETA or gen ETA/IWC movement already build in if the watch is sold later.

But you're right in one point: to change the movement to a gen ETA isn't the only option, it is the best and unfortunately the most expensive. A watch smith possibly can repair the movement. The problem is to find a watch smith who is willing to work on reps. And if you managed to find such a guy he also must be willing to repair a rep A-7750 - a crap movement, sorry. If it works - fine. If not - hm.

You can also look in ebay for asia A-7750, there are always movements of this type available for a handful of dollars. You can also try Otto Frei.

BTW, to the threadstarter: don't forget to secure your pushers with thread lock or you possibly lose them! And have a sharp eye on the triangle at 12: isn't it crooked? It looks a bit crroked on your first pic (some rep dials of the 3777 - like mine - have in fact a crooked triangle at 12) but it is possibly only the angle of the camera.

This is my problem exactly, just recieved mine today and although I am in love with it, that damn tirangle leaning ever so to the left draws my attention every time. Also my chrono and subdial @6 hands are slightly off as well. Pushers are a bit violent when pushed but that's my a7750 experience and the posts about the pushers popping off are a bit unnerving. As soon as I can source all the right parts and a stateside watch smith I trust to do the mods, this thing will be gutted. Def a watch worth a good $1000 investment or so to make right, considering the alternative.

wrenches&watches

Oh yeah, and here's a wristie....

IMAG1027.jpg

p.s. Waiting to see what the lume master (aka Kenny) does to his! And happy to say my micro adjuster on the strap works flawlessly (for now) and helps out a lot as I enjoy a tight fit.

ghoststar

If the watch was keeping time for a couple weeks, then arguably, the problem you're experiencing now should be able to be fixed by a competent watch repairer.

And there are no worries about the micro-adjuster. It is a very simple design (using angled ridges), and should work well forever. It isn't hard to replicate at all.

sunnydale

Sorry to hear about your problems, you should sell it or change the movement. I agree about the AR, not so good but still, if you could see it without AR, you would understand the meaning of it better. This is a super rep in my books, here is mine with aftermarket AR:

WP_001288800x599_zps2512606d.jpg

Monty010

its a really good looking watch mate, shame the movements giving you grief.

i'm looking into getting this one myself, dealer or m2m but i'm kinda hesitant reading all the bad press about the A7750 movements.

Zero1

Thank you everyone for your advice, this is fantastic to give me food for thoughts. Here is a quick update:

a) I tried to tighten the rotor screw as suggested, but I don't seem to have the proper super small screwdriver.

b) The watch seem to stop (not slow down) some hours after I stop wearing it, for example at night.

c) It never stops during daytime, and does not lose time.

Therefore I decided to wind the watch manually everyday and since then I had not a single issue.

I suspect that the "automatic" part of the movement does not work so well... which boils down to the rotor screw again I suppose?

Also the rotor is very very light compared to my genuine TAG Heuer Link (w/Calibre 16, 7750 ETA).

Thanks again!