Sign in to follow this  
Jay123

Waterproofing a rep..

Jay123

Is it possible to waterproof a replica datejust ii? If so how would i go about doing this? Thanks

dingle
Is it possible to waterproof a replica datejust ii? If so how would i go about doing this? Thanks

I am not for sure, but I bet member the-moo12 would know.......:lol:

KBH

It's quite possible. Any watch with a screw down crown and case back will probably be waterproof to some extent. Checking and greasing the seals with silicone grease will help but you really need a machine to test the integrity of the crystal seal.

I generally pull out the movement and then spend some time in my pool with the empty watch case on to test ones that I want to wear in the water.

themoo-12

Kbh beat me to it! I have a tester and depending on the rep ill pop out the crystal and reseal it for added proofness

TAGster

Reading this thread I wanted to share with you my weekend experience:

I wore my Hublot Bing Bang rep and while I was seating outside of my pool I decided to make a test, so taking the risk I jumped into the water wearing the watch. I spent like a half hour in the pool and I even swam a couple of laps, then I went out and wait under the sun to see if some moisture appears on the watch, but amazingly the watch was perfeclty dry, no traces of water in the case, dial or movement (the watch has a skeleton dial).

I do not know if the previous owner (Gioarmani) waterproofed or it came as is from factory.

Cheers!

Member X

Brave man!!

jonbon

Spent 3 hours kitesurfing while wearing my br 03-92, no worries :D

This is even without screwdown crown.

Wiz

A crown doesn't need to be screw down to be waterproof. As long as the stem has the correct length and you've got double o-rings, you're good to go for pretty much anything except diving. As a matter of fact, pretty much all the surf watches don't have screw down crowns.

mrtepax

ok, two questions:

1. how waterproof test is carried out? I mean, you take the movement outside the case and put the case in water, apply some pressure and see when the water leaks into the case? i guess this should be a destructive test. so where i'm wrong?

2. where should I find the silicon grease? in a hardware store?

PS: sorry for my english, pretty good to order a coke at mcdonald's, but nothing more

KBH

Basically, pressure is applied to a watch for about 10 minutes so if it leaks the pressure inside the case will build. Then the watch is lowered into water and the pressure in the chamber is released. The pressure inside will case will cause bubbles as it escapes from the case if there is a leak. Since the pressure is on the inside of the case, there is no chance of water entering.

The silicone grease can be bought at hardware stores or pool supply stores. Or on the Internet. Look for the type that is used for greasing o-rings.

Jay123

Can i not just take it someone who knows what there doing? ha

greg_r

Yes.

Most of those little watch repair outfits in shopping malls can pressure test and waterproof a watch. Just make sure that they're happy to work on a rep before you hand it over.

Jay123

How much would it roughly cost to waterproof one?

greg_r

Depends on who you go to, but it should cost you around $20 for a pressure test. If the watch passes, you're in business - if it has to be waterproofed it's probably going to be closer to $50.